Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnapolitani

fabuwood cabinets vs other cabinets

John Napolitani
6 years ago

I am trying to decide on a cabinet manufacturer for my kitchen. I am leaning towards Fabuwood but reviews are extremely mixed. When I look at other cabinet manufacturers, I get the same results.

Comments (9)

• suzanne_sl
    6 years ago

Have you checked out Ikea? They get excellent reviews at low cost.

John Napolitani thanked suzanne_sl
  • John Napolitani
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Will do

• cmsg2002
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Just wanted to provide some first hand experience and input with regards to Fabuwood cabinets. We too had looked at alot of cabinetry lines when planning our kitchen remodel in our new house, as we had purchased a semi-custom line of Kraftmaid cabinets for a kitchen remodel in our previous home, which we loved, but were looking for something a bit more economical as we paid almost $12k for Kraftmaid back in 2004. We too had some reservations about Fabuwood, but after much research, online reviews, and seeing completed projects in person, we ultimately went with Fabuwood's Wellington Ivory. For the design, quality, style, construction, price, finish, etc. you really would be hard pressed to find another manufacturer that offers all that. They are also one of the few companies that offer a tall and wide pantry with pull outs, and this was a must for the design we wanted/needed. And yes, the hardware/hinges are Blum. My husband is a carpenter so we had planned to do all installation ourselves, and he is pretty particular, but even he was satisfied overall with the quality and construction. We added quite a few "xtras" with decorative supports for island, fluted panels for pantry, trim for foot moldings, etc. but still all totaled was less than $12k.

We worked with a kitchen design center/dealer, and cabinets were ordered and received (well most of them anyway) within about 4 weeks. While there were a few issues with a couple of the items (scratched, dinged, or cracked), all we had to do was take a pic with our phone, send it to our dealer, and a replacement was sent within less than 2 weeks time door to door. I would say that if we had a young, growing family, I may have chose a natural wood, which may be a little more durable, but since our kids are grown and out of the house, we went with a painted/glazed finish, and we absolutely love it. I have read that others have not had good experiences, but If I had to rate ours...I would say an 8.5 out of 10. There are always issues that arise during a major reno project, and we expected and accepted that. While it caused some delay, it was not a huge deal, to us at least. We have a log home so we had some limitations as to style, i.e so we were going for a french country look. Here are a few pics of the before, during and after reno.

• John Napolitani
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I truly thank you for your comments. They really helped out. Love the pictures

• Lisa's Kitchen
    5 years ago

That looks really nice!

• Ronald U.
    5 years ago

Fabuwood is junk.

Here's mine

Horrible seams - flat fronts with large mismatched panels, cracked paint joints, drawers that don’t fit on sliders, screws and staples sticking though sides, cabinets not even fitted together (not square), panels not attached. Absolute garbage! When I contacted them they said there was nothing they would do.

I regret choosing this loser company every time I walk in the kitchen.

• Tim Macasek
    5 years ago

Hey John, we're looking at buying Fabuwood cabinets for our kitchen remodel as well. Any insight as to how these have performed in the six months you've had them installed?

• Lisa's Kitchen
    5 years ago

We ended up going with a Canadian-made cabinet company.

• John Napolitani
    Original Author
    5 years ago

They are working out well. We also looked at higher end house before we installed and believe it or not, they were the cabinet of choice.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert