Software
Houzz Logo Print
atlcharm

Should i seal or add poly to my butcher block countertops?

8 years ago

Well, under contract again. This house has a shabby chic kitchen which I like, but for some reason I feel like the dry looking wood makes the kitchen look even older. I don't know if they are sealed already, but I feel like a little shine on the countertop will take the kitchen up a notch. I have two examples: one where they just used waterlox and it has a subtle but nice shine. The last pic is where they use envirotex which has SUPER shine. However, if I am to keep with the shabby chic look I'm wondering if using envirotex is too over the top. The first few pics are my home. I posted the bathroom because you get a better idea of the countertop in the kitchen, since it's more of a closeup. I don't mind the dry look in the bathroom, but I feel like the countertop needs some umph in the kitchen. 2nd to last pic is sealed with waterlox I think and the last pic is envirotex. Thoughts?









Comments (18)

  • 8 years ago

    I use food grade oil on mine. Available at any hardware store. Lightly sand if necessary, oil, buff, oil, buff. It's an all-day process with wait times, twice a year.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you, so the oil gives them a shine that lasts?


  • 8 years ago
    I used Waterlox in my kitchen and a couple of bathrooms that have wood countertops. I used it because it protects the wood from water damage and because it's easy to touch up. I'm unfamiliar with the product in the last photo, but you mentioned polyurethane in your title and I would not use that in an area with water like a bathroom or kitchen because it doesn't offer enough protection from water and because you cannot touch up a small area, you have to sand the entire surface to do any repairs.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Use Waterlox. you want something that is food grade safe on your counters. Poly is not! plus, poly is too rigid and will not move w/the contraction and expansion of wood. it will end up cracking over time. Waterlox or a similar protectant for food grade butcher blocks.

    waterlox is basically tungoil and a food safe solvent. also comes in different sheens.

    https://waterlox.com/project-help/guide?id=8abadfea-3ef1-446a-8d80-33992c09f550

    mineral oil is not enough to protect them from staining and water.

    btw, that 2nd pic, thats a resin coating, they're torching it to remove the air bubbles. that's fine if you want a thick, bar top look. not practical for a working kitchen.

  • 8 years ago

    Aw, good to know about the poly! Thank you


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    ETA: Formby's Tung Oil Finish is not Tung Oil

    ***

    We've had bamboo butcher block for about 2.5 years. I'm honestly shocked at how durable it is. My husband went a bit overboard putting ~ 9 coats of tung oil on them and we haven't treated them since install.

  • 8 years ago

    that's what's in Waterlox,,,tung oil! it's a natural wood protectant that hardens over time.

  • 8 years ago
    If you use Waterlox, apply it when you have a nice stretch of weather where you can leave your windows open. It smells horrendous while it's drying, and you need about twenty four hours between coats. I like to use at least four coats, usually five. It will change the appearance of the wood... I've always used it on walnut and it goes from looking like a cool toned brown wood, to a rich, warm, brown. So you might want to test it. The projects I've done, the wood has been sanded very smooth and silky, so I tend to lightly sand in between coats of Waterlox just to keep it very silky smooth, but it's not needed for adhesion purposes like many other products like paint or poly.
  • 8 years ago

    All of the comments have been soooooo helpful! Thank you very much!!!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes the tung oil is what I use. I'm not at home and I couldn't remember the proper name :)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    benjesbride,,,, that's tung oil finish,,,it's little oil and full of resins and varnish. it's not the same as pure tung oil. sorry. research it for yourself. I think i read somewhere that it's 78% mineral spirits, mixed with very little actual tung oil.

    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?27840-tung-oil-questionIf you want to use tung oil, then use actual 100% tung oil. if it doesn't say that, it's a varnish. And I don't want varnish on my food prep surface.

    Waterlox could be the same, although, they do say it's food safe (once dry!)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    https://waterlox.com/

    Lots of products here you should consider. Don't hide the wood under plastic.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Use multiple coats of 100% tung oil. Let each coat dry before you apply another coat.

    https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/oils/pure-tung-chinawood/

  • 8 years ago

    Beth - Well, that explains why our counters are in such good condition after years of use!

    I don't prep on our counters, always using large cutting boards so hopefully Formby's hasn't compromised our health or something.

  • 8 years ago

    benjes,,,you have a varnished counter and didn't even know it! I'm sure it's fine. the spirits actually dissipate when dry. it's just that people think they're getting something when they actually are not. marketing ploys!

  • 8 years ago

    Just to point out that tung oil shouldn't be used if people with nut allergies are likely to be around, especially tree nut allergies.

  • 5 years ago

    Should stain be applied before the tung oil, or just use the tung oil and apply no stain? I know the oil naturally changes the color, my question is, will the protectant from the stain combat the oil?

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions