Software
Houzz Logo Print
kipnwanda

My Master bedroom needs coordination

8 years ago
This room looks over the living room. We have 6 curtain panels on overlook and slider. I like the bedspread and it’s natural colors. The room will be painted SW Worldly Gray. Since I dislike the beige drapes I’ve been trying to find something else. That gray drape looks too dark. I like monochromatic and soothing and may change out the bedspread to white linen for summer. Can you suggest color for drapes?

Comments (77)

  • 8 years ago
    Our current one is silk and pretty flat at that. We don’t need warmth just loft to fill out the duvet. Thank you Flo, thinking of dusty purple as an accent. Like I said earlier I like monochromatic and muted tones.
  • 8 years ago
    So I ordered a comforter to fill up the duvet. I purchased light grey curtains. I still need to get the right hooks for them as I don’t like the slide on look. I think they will go with my duvet and the Worldly Grey paint (sample on wall beside curtain). Do you think the curtains need to be fuller? What about the color? I’m not real good at pattern mixing so think plain is better?
  • 8 years ago
    Next the bench. I can upholster it so played with a rug and some leftover ostrich fabric. I like the ostrich, what do you think? Or any other ideas or colors?
  • 8 years ago
    Home Interiors with Ease
    Any thoughts? Appreciated the help you gave me on my living room. Still monotone.
  • 8 years ago
    I like the fuller bedspread and the ostrich fabric. To me the curtains are a little too similar to the worldly gray. It will look like you’re trying to match but missed the boat. Can you try to get curtains that match either a shade lighter or darker on the paint chip than the worldly gray?
  • 8 years ago
    Well now I finally figured out one of the reasons why I’m having such a hard time with color. The bulbs in our lamps were “warm”, switching out to “daylight”. There are so many factors for decorating for us amateurs.
  • 8 years ago
    Well the daylight bulbs are way to bright. My husband said our bedroom looked like 7-11! What led bulbs do you decorators use? Don’t want golden walls.
  • 8 years ago

    Hi, random question how tall is your bedroom ceiling? I love the canopy bed(s) and I'm not sure how it will look in my normal height ceiling. By the way yours look very nice.

  • 8 years ago
    It is 8’ and slopes up to 12’ at end of bed. We’ve had this for a very long time and still love it.
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you

  • 8 years ago
    Started a new thread just for lighting!
  • 8 years ago
    Replaced beige drapes with light grey, painted walls and ceiling “Worldly Grey”. Am going to reupholster bench. Hopefully all the colors coordinate better now? Anything missing?
  • 8 years ago
    Forgot to post pics
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Coming along beautifully. Love the drapes. Can’t wait to see reupholstered bench. Any clues on color and fabric? Don’t be mean and make us wait! Lol
  • 8 years ago
    This is what I’ll use if i have enough of this ostrich fabric.
  • 8 years ago
    What about the skinny window with mini blinds?
  • 8 years ago
    Jeannettburges
    Dang you would have to notice “that #@&$” window! We don’t know what else to do with it and don’t want it to attract attention. Each time we paint the walls I paint the blinds, PITA. we never open it so it’s just a dust catcher. I almost painted over the window but thought better of it, haha. Any thoughts?
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    A solar blind. A custom wood shutter. Silhouette blind. Depends on level of light control needed.
  • 8 years ago
    Flo
    Never opened as we don’t need the light.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Then a custom blackout Roman shade with your drapery fabric would be lovely. It would be softer and pretty addition.
  • 8 years ago
    Is it something easy to make?
  • 8 years ago
    Don’t know how you feel about live plants...but that corner would be perfect for a couple snake plants ....they are happy with limited direct light plus these amazing plants also have health benefits in a sleeping area.........as they naturally cleanse the air in the room where you sleep....aesthetically tall ...elegant...striking with thick solid vertical leaves....the maintenance is minimal...a little water once a month and occasional dusting if needed...one on the floor and one on a tall but tiny table would also offer almost as much privacy as your “elderly” shade....add to that they are very happy crowded into a small pot ....so mostly never need to be re-potted...in the summertime I move some of them to the outside living areas that are shaded a little to add some carefree greenery to those areas....
  • 8 years ago
    Agreed love my snake plant and looking to add several in my bedroom
  • 8 years ago
    Tried it out
  • 8 years ago
    Before and after of the bench. Next is the little window with the blinds.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    hummm - I don't think the upholstery was done properly, sorry to say. The "piecey" sides are unsatisfactory. There needs to be a bit more padding. It blends with the bedding, but I would prefer a bit of contrast with this bench. Just my humble opinion.

  • 8 years ago
    It does feel like you have taken the monochromatic a step too far...but if you love it you could add a throw with a bolder print or color
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you for your opinions. I know the upholstery job looks amateurish because it is! Hubby and I did it with ostrich fabric scraps, haha. While I love a neutral base I have no idea how to add color to our monochromatic look. Like feng shui, natural, black...don’t like blues, greens, florals. That narrows it down, huh?
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Opps, sorry. A lavender throw on the bench could be just the touch.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Or even a soft pink. Just a bit of color and texture like the mohair throws from Pottery Barn.
  • 8 years ago
    Flo that’s ok, we didn’t know what we were doing. Lavender may be ok and I like the idea of more texture. Isn’t that what you’re supposed to do when you have monochromatic? We both like calming colors for bedroom, other than that, we aren’t pastel people. Decorating is hard and I really appreciate the job designers do!
  • 8 years ago

    I'm wondering why your drapes are hanging where they are as far as height...

    Beautiful room, btw..

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Yes, textures are very needed in monochrome settings. It helps soften, and connect the similar tones.
  • 8 years ago
    Pennydesign
    What do you mean? Should the drapes be hung higher or hemmed?
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    They're just kind of levitating... :)

    High and wide is a common recommendation on the web, but sadly it's always recommended without consideration to surroundings...in your case, ceiling angles and top canopy rails...

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Here are a few accessories with texture and slight accent colors.
  • 8 years ago
    Flo, I really like the first pillow
    Pennydesign just guessing here as I really don’t know what you mean. Should they be at the same level as our bed frame? Or higher or lower? I am not a decorator so I need help with the design aspects.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Here are a couple scarfs, throws and other fun things for you.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I think your drapery is hung fine and it works given the other elements you are working with.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    There you go...two different opinions for you :) The reason it does NOT work is..look at your first photo...

    You have the drapery top on one level and the picture on another and the bed canopy on another. You a have an angle where the ceiling meets the wall...

    All of these are too much of a disconnect and too many confusing lines..

    I suggest you lower to the same level as where the ceiling meets the corner to the left...that should be a little above the window.

    Or, my personal favorite, just above the window.

    ETA: this photo..

  • 8 years ago
    Or maybe match the height of the bed frame?
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    With an angled ceiling such as yours, splitting the space is a good compromise of position of your rod for your drapery.
  • 8 years ago
    Sorry Flo, what do you mean by splitting the space? Where exactly would you have the drapery rod?
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I meant roughly the space above windows and ceiling. Just about where you have them. Lowering the rod would visually lower the ceiling so that wouldn’t be desirable. So just leave them where they ate unless it bothers you.
  • 8 years ago
    Flo, My hubby thanks you! We actually never noticed any problem with the drape placement. Still it’s great that everyone points out what they see.
  • 8 years ago
    Finished the shade for the little odd window, before and after.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    That is perfect! Nice job on that. Did you do it yourself. If so, kudos! They are not easy to make! I like that great knobby throw over the bench too. Texture!! You got it. Hey, I do what I can for hubbys! haha!

  • 8 years ago
    Flo
    Thank you so much! Yes I cannot believe how much work and measuring it took. Totally ripped up the first one because I’d measured wrong! The throw was made by my granddaughter for Xmas a few years ago. She knit it with her arms instead of needles!
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    That makes it even more precious! I have heard about that type "knitting" but never tried it. Oh yes, I have made roman shades and they are beasts! You did a great job and it looks polished and refined!

  • 8 years ago
    Looks great. Yes Roman blinds are a nightmare to make. Have made dozens to save dollars. You have done a great job