Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_lynn12

How much is too much white?

Julia Kay
6 years ago

Good evening = We have a fixer upper. We currently have a light tile in our kitchen/eating area (photo below). We have to keep the cabinets so having them professionally painted and replacing the countertops with either granite or quartz.

I have always loved the white cabinets with subway tile BEFORE it became so trendy. Anyway, with the lighter color tile, would the white cabinets be "too much" or should I go for a dark color like black? I hesitate to go with gray cabinet color because I fear it will be out of style and I always have it in the back of my mind that we may always need to move due to my hubby's job. So I would prefer to say with something considered "classic" and timeless.

** Please be kind**. Thank you!

Comments (20)

• C W
    6 years ago

I personally think white is classic and timeless and won't go out of style. I recently did a reno and have light floor tile, white cabinets & white subway tile backsplash and love it. So if you like it, and thats your style then go for it!

• Heather Maciaszek
    6 years ago

I have white cabs + white subway tile. (Slightly off white to be precise.) I know its trendy now, but its also timeless. And I'd argue WAY more timeless than grey. Black is slowly becoming the new trend according to what I've read. And you'd need to have a LOT of light in the kitchen to make that work. If you do decide on white (m vote!) Just be sure to test ALL your white finishes (cabs, counter, tile) with one other. Whites can be SO tricky.

• Heather Maciaszek
    6 years ago

P.S. I would check out Maria Killam's website. She has a LOT to say on white kitchens (not that you have to agree, but i think its a good read/resource.

Julia Kay thanked Heather Maciaszek
  • Julia Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you...I agree with you both....I mean it when I say - I LOOOVE subway tile over 20 years ago, when I was just out of school, living off PB&J sandwiches. I agree - the white cabinets are more classic vs color. We do have an island....I wonder if that would be best with an alternating color. (in addition to a desk area).

• Julia Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Heather - I bet your kitchen is beautiful! I agree - I worry it will be too dark in our kitchen. I am already leaving my readers around the house because I can't see!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

In another life you would be eating a sandwich in a subway, early 1900’s and seeing “subway” tile.

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    6 years ago

Hi! Don't worry, white kitchens are classic and not trendy. You are right to veer away from gray cabinets, not everyone is a fan. The black and white look is tried, true and classic also. I understand you may have to move again, that makes it tough when it comes to decorating. I think black cabinets with white countertops and backsplash look great. Follow your gut, what will you like in a year or two? That's always a good way to think about things. Good luck, hope it all comes out exactly the way you want!!

• Lisa SW
    6 years ago
    Just another vote for the timelessness of white kitchens. I grew up in my grandmother’s white kitchen. In the 90s, when the rest of us were surrounded with oak, my aunt’s high end kitchen remodel was white and we were wowed. This year I finally got my own white kitchen. And I’m a convert to subway tile. I swore I didn’t want subway tile, but after months of searching for the perfect backsplash I realized my kitchen was screaming for subway. I now can’t imagine anything else.
  • Julia Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Just- ;) you're so right!
  • Julia Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks "Gray &Walter" Pro -
    For that expert opinion. It makes me feel better about either going all white or mixing it with some black! Yes, moving regularly is hard! Especially when you just finish a house and then start over. This house is definitely a challenge but it's a great location, neighbors and school so we took on that challenge!
  • Julia Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Judy - I am just now seeing the paint color suggestion. It looks fabulous together!
  • Julia Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lisa - great perspective. Glad you are loving your new white kitchen (and tile!).
  • Heather Maciaszek
    6 years ago
    Just had to add another comment! If I were to do it all over again, I’d do white cabs + backsplash and black counters ( I have white Quartz meant to look like marble). I think that is the most timeliness and something I didn’t consider til after my reno, it really is neutral / goes with any seasonal decor. Xmas, thanksgiving, valentines, whatever ! And if you are doing wood floors, the whole combination is just a classic, elegant choice! ( for my next home - should I be that lucky!)
  • Lisa SW
    6 years ago
    Julia, just saw your comment re contrasting islands. I really like them but think that’s best determined by the rest of the space (size, layout, other contrasting elements, etc.). I originally wanted a contrasting island but my cabinetmaker nudged me towards white, probably because he sensed I didn’t really know what I was trying to achieve. My kitchen isn’t large, and I think the matching island helped open it up. But I also have darker, warmer contrasting elements. If my kitchen was truly white on white I’d probably have gone with a contrasting island. I bet the pros here who are so generous with their excellent advice would help if you posted pics of the overall space.
  • Karen Coutts
    6 years ago

I am making the same decisions as you for my parents' apartment! White shaker cabinets, pure white countertop, white Rittenhouse bevelled subway tile. And I also chose a white floor tile. My reasoning is when my parents pass away and we need to sell the apartment, it is better to go with a classic look. Anything that "pops" or is trendy may not be to the taste of the buyer. A white kitchen is probably the safest design choice. I put subway tile in my own kitchen in 2006, so I have always loved it. I've read articles that say it will never go out of style.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I see the word “trendy” so often here on houzz. I bet it's the younger generation/first time home owners who use it. Yes, there were the styles of the times, which faded away, but did make a lasting impression in the world of decor and architecture. Good taste always comes around again.

My greatgrandmothers were born in 1870….7 years after President Lincoln was in office. Their kitchens had (besides a hand pump at the sink), a pantry with white marble tops (perfect for rolling out a pie crust). Yes, the tops stained, but they were used for everything. Counter tops ( about 3 feet long…had to make room for the black wood stove) were butcher block. When they finally got running water, the bathrooms were subway tile and the hexagon black and white tiles for the floor. One lovely lady lived until I was a sophomore in high school

My grandmother: she had the style of the 1930’s which now we see all over the internet reinvented with Annie Sloan chalk paint.

My mother: she dabbled in the mid-century of the 1950’s, but turned the corner with formal mahogany furniture and Persian rugs. Still a design staple.

And the mid-century look is back in full force because it is clean lines and a pared down look which appeals to many.

Shag rugs, from the 60’s…well they were pretty bad, but the “reborn” shag of the 21st century can make a room.

Living Room · More Info

The worst trend in my lifetime? Shoulder pads.

• Lisa SW
    6 years ago
    Julia, may I hijack just long enough to thank JudyG? I’m working on my dining room and can again embrace my chippendale dining room set! Judy, thanks to you and a few other Houzzers I renovated my entire first floor without a design dilemma. It’s not a Houzz showcase, but I have an updated house that still feels like my home. Thank you!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Chippendale !!! Exactly what I am talking about…gorgeous lines and goes with everything. .

Stern Turner Home · More Info
    Far Hills Family Home · More Info

• Julia Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lisa- thank you for the input regarding a marble looking countertop vs dark. That was a whole other concern I had as well.

Judy - your grandmothers home sounds gorgeous!!! To this day, my favorite home was the very first I owned: a small bungalow. I was the second owner. Original woodwork, dark, thick, wide baseboards and trim, a big front porch, an old coal room in the basement I used for storage, the kitchen had a wall of cabinets to the ceiling and the yellow and black tile in the bathroom was original. I loved that house!