Software
Houzz Logo Print
ghille

need help updating my study

8 years ago






My study is a pleasant little room just off our living room. I have frequent visits from grandchildren and so it has also become a storage room for toys, playroom ( less frequently) and a room where homework can be done. I like being able to post their art work, but I would also like to be able to have a sense of retreat here. Perhaps a more adult display... family pictures? Art work or posters?

I am ready to feel like it is more of a retreat area for me.


Thinking about color...I really dislike the color right now. I favor light, cooler colors like grey, blue or green, but I have wondered it it would be inviting to break my usual conservatism and choose a rich warm color with more intensity.


I want to keep my desk and the antique chest on the wall to the right of the desk. Also the table if possible because it is a quite handy for homework and overflow from my desktop when I am working on a project. The black file is just the right size. The walnut cabinet with the plant on it can be taken out entirely. The small bookcase can go...I probably need a new taller one. I can take out the fan and just have a new ceiling light. I like the rug. The light in this room is good for plants.

I think I could clean out the closet and add shelving to hold a few toys.


Windows: These are new windows. I like the view but need privacy at night. My dog jumps up at both windows when the postman comes so I need to use something that won't tear easily. I thought of shades or blinds with or without drapes. Or maybe just drapes that I could slide shut at night... Really stymied here,


Measurements: (wall that desk is on) 12 feet x 9'10" . windows 3'8" wide x 4'11". Each window is set in 12 inches from the corner.


Well, this is a lot of information, and any advice will be very much appreciated! This Grandma needs help!


Gail

Comments (25)

  • 8 years ago
    What if you put baskets on your existing shelves near the wall and on the desk hutch to contain some of your loose books and items so that it reduces the visual clutter? Or if you’re in the market for a new bookcase, you could get a cabinet with doors. Once you have a lot of that cleared out or hidden, you may feel more calm in the space. Paint a color you love and bring in a desk lamp and some throw pillows. For the artwork have you seen those framed on hinges so you can change it out and keep them framed and looking like an intentional display?
    ghille thanked mrsory
  • 8 years ago

    I'd choose one wall to display your grandkids artwork and then use the other walls for themed(landscapes, bridges, birds, abstracts, etc) artwork for yourself.

    ghille thanked shirlpp
  • 8 years ago
    Don’t have all the dimensions to know if this would work, but could the desk go where the bookcase if now? That would free up a corner that you could use as a reading/retreat area. The file cabinet could be a side table. You can get frames for kids art that open from the side for easy change out. Group them together over your antique piece. It looks like you have some blue in your rug so that’s what I would put on the walls. As far as window treatments, I’d do a roll up shade or a Roman shade that you can roll up during the day and dog can’t get to. Toy storage like the ones I see are always a challenge. Is there a closet they could go into? Definitely need to de-clutter and find a home for all the miscellaneous stuff. It really does help to feel more like “your” space!
    ghille thanked Nancy Ingram
  • 8 years ago

    Your office is like mine - full of stuff! I would suggest the following: Can you de-clutter your bookcases and desk? Do you actually need access to all those books? I am wondering if you have room in your closet to put bookshelves/bookcases to stow most of them, then you can either use the bookcase in the room for more decorative purposes - or, as you said, you could move the little bookcase into the closet, but I would not replace it on the floor area with a taller shelf because that corner seems tight. I really like your furniture colors because they seem to go nicely with the wood. I like the previous message where the lady suggests featuring the kids' art in one place - you might even just feature only 1 item of each child's and replace it whenever they provide you something new (I know that is hard - but, if you can take a photo of each piece - you will always have it on your computer, and you won't feel so bad about taking it down!). Finally, I thing you could really kick this up a notch with wall color. Everything right now is very beige. You have lovely light floors and good natural light, so I think you can play with some distinctive colors on the wall. Perhaps you could pick one of your favorite colors out of your rug and put it on one "feature" wall. The blue of the framed bird art is very pleasant to my eye! The most important thing for you it that it is a working office, so keep those things you need close at hand! Have fun!!!

    ghille thanked Susan E
  • 8 years ago

    Seems you're ready for a clean-out and re-focus weekend here. I'd start by removing the kids' stuff so you can focus on what's important to you. Make a determination up front that you want to eliminate half the stuff you've accumulated here. Every thing you can hold in one hand is a candidate for elimination. Some of it may not be ready for the trash, but just for a storage box in the attic or basement. Pare it all down. Since the kids use the table for homework, consider moving it under the window and putting cork or a magnetic board on the wall left of it for all the artwork they do. Try a fiber shade on the window to add some texture and privacy at night. Now, what pieces of furniture have empty spots? The one with the most empty areas can become the one where you add the stuff in the other pieces. For example, if there are gaps on the big shelf system above your desk, and only a few items in the antique chest, transfer the chest items to the big shelf. You are consolidating in order to find another use for the furniture that now has no job to do for your study and is helping it feel cramped and cluttered. Consider using the antique chest as a bedside piece somewhere. With it gone, you can move your desk unit to center on your wall space, giving a bit more room for the homework and overflow spot under the window. Try painting the room in a color from the outfit you love and that you get the most compliments on when you wear it. That will make the study seem more like a retreat for you. Then tackle the closet for all the kids' stuff and make them return it there before they leave.

    ghille thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    And, never, ever take down the Bundt-Cake-Boob-Lady! She is priceless! (Plus, she seems to match with birds picture!) Well, okay, maybe you have to take her down - but she could be adorable in the closet!!!

  • 8 years ago

    Oh my gosh , thank you so much for the encouragement and ideas!

  • 8 years ago
    I would move your desk closer to the corner to minimize the dead space there. That table looks like the perfect size to go in front of your window, with the plants on it. Edit everything, including closet, and you will be amazed at how much more space you have.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Glad you like the "boob lady". She is holding a sign that says "Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative!"

  • 8 years ago

    WELL! Now I really like her! Maybe you can put a frame around her (no glass) to formalize her a bit. Seriously, that is so much fun!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Like the humming bird sun catcher in the window.

    Mostly you need to declutter and for that, you likely need more storage space either by adding it above or having any furnishings in your room do dual duty.

    You could put your table under the window and adding a four sided box shelf (no back) atop it for your plants, giving you storage within the box and the front edge of the table for use as a table.

    Alternately, a foot locker/toy box that could double as a window seat would be a good start. With adjustable wood louvered shutters, you'd not need to worry about a curtain getting in the way.

    A two drawer filing cabinet with casters can serve the purpose of both storage and movable table top. There are wood ones available via most office supply stores.

    You could attach your shelves that are near the left of the window to the wall above your antique chest -- much more practical use for the wall above it than art; however, you could add a door to those shelves and add your art to that door: best of both.

    Whatever else you do, you probably need to create one wall of built ins, cabinets below and shelves above -- perhaps the wall with the door -- and repurpose any of the smaller pieces (plant stand) that don't fit by your doing that to another room. You could reserve some of the bottom cabinets for toys.

    I find that a rug is in the way of rolling about my desk chair -- would lose the rug or move it to be beside where you decide to put your toy storage.

    You could also use a large framed cork board or metal board with magnets for the more valued pieces of art now on your wall left of the window -- or maybe two, maybe one of each.

  • 8 years ago

    Reduce the belongings in this room by half, as well as in the closet too. What does the inside of the closet look like? Could you put floor to ceiling shelves in there for all of your books and the kids' toys?

    Are the folding chairs for the kids to sit on at that table? How many kids sit in here at once and how many chairs do you need in here? Could you get new chairs for them that would be more appealing and put the folding chairs elsewhere?

    Limit the kids' artwork to just one area. Also be sure to line the interior closet door with their artwork. A great space where it is somewhat out of site but not thrown away.

    After all of your decluttering post on here again so we can focus on furniture placement and wall color should you still want to change it.

    ghille thanked Kendrah
  • 8 years ago
    I can not see the boob lady and it is making me crazy. I do love the birds though. They are soft colors like you shared you like. Maybe after you thin stuff you could build luxury: soft colors, velvet chaise , brass frames with big matting for you and the girls.
    ghille thanked Laura
  • 8 years ago

    4th picture down behind the door.

    ghille thanked shirlpp
  • 8 years ago

    I am so grateful for these great ideas. You have all convinced me to get started decluttering!

  • 8 years ago

    And, further to pamelamacleod's comment, you can store all your books and put a date on the box. If they are not sentimental to you, revisit them and see if you need to keep them around...

    ghille thanked Susan E
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    • Susan, Thank you for the great ideas. After really thinking about the advice I have been given, I am completely convinced that I need to drastically pare down my stuff. I'm going to start this week. Then it will be clear how much storage I really need. I'm pretty excited about this undertaking. I'm grateful to you and all those who have commented for the honesty that helps me to see what the underlying problem is....too much stuff !!!
  • 8 years ago

    Susan, I like the second link (Grand Rapids)... It might be a good way for me to organize the craft things that are stuffed on my desk shelving right now, and I can imagine pulling it off in my closet without really to much expense. I'll keep thinking. Thanks!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I recommend shopping IKEA for an office desk they strive for organization perfection!
    ghille thanked Ed’s Repair & Install
  • 8 years ago
    Select a color from the rug for painting the walls...green, blue and a rust are seen in the rug, among others.
    Display your amusing art and kids' art in groups of three or four on two walls.
    Put some window treatment on the window.
    You are humorous...let it show!
    ghille thanked felizlady
  • 8 years ago

    How's the project going? Assuming you have decluttered by now : Are you keeping the art work - if yes - Is the rasberry colour of the bird's boots something you would like to see elsewhere? I do hope you keep the plants. Would you consider moving the antique chest over to where the small bookcase is close to the window? Then add protection (like a table runner) to place a few plants on top where they could not get knocked down by the dog? Could you paint and maybe wall mount the small bookcase over the chest or elsewhere for shelving? Does the desk fit on the wall where the chest is in your picture? so visually when you enter you won't see your desk, but focus on the beautiful windows and plants. Can you adjust the shelving in the desk to be symmetrical? at least remove the extra shelf at bottom right (where you have a yellow sticky note) to give you more space for a desk lamp? Have you picked your wall colour yet? A light cool grey would be good, as the kids create art in orange, blues, pinks, etc.. they would "pop" and add intensity. Did you change the light fixture? Did you try using a large framed cork board that you can pin artwork and the "boob lady"? As your retreat, what are you thinking you'll do in this room? Read, paint, craft? do you need to incorporate a lounge chair? easel? lighting? I really hope you are having fun, you have a beautiful room structure to work with.

    ghille thanked julie6266
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you, Julie. I have done a lot of thinning out of books and papers. Am ready to tackle the closet, but was slowed down a bit through April as my husband recovered from surgery. Now a graduation to prepare for so it may be close to June before I can really roll again. BUT, I am going to try your idea about rearranging.. I like the idea of moving the chest. At one time I had the desk against the wall you suggested but I didn't like having my back to the windows. It is very pleasant to look out from time to time. I would be delighted if I could have space for a reading chair and foot stool. Do you think there would be room?

  • 8 years ago
    Yes, you will absolutely have room for a comfy chair once you are through purging. This will be a wonderful room.
    ghille thanked Carol Singletary