art_1_

Growing chickpeas?

art_1

Has anyone tried growing garbanzo beans? It seems like more of a field grain, but I'm not sure on the yield. I want to try making this, they sell a dry mix at the store for $8/lb but it just isn't the same

https://persianmama.com/hummus/

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

They don't grow in my climate but we eat hummus all the time. You can buy dried chick peas in any supermarket. Even quicker is to use canned chick peas in water. It takes only a few minutes to make a batch and requires no cooking. The recipe you link to makes it sound more complicated than need be. Basic hummus is chickpeas, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. I don't find it necessary to heat the chickpeas. Throw in the blender. Done. Tahini is a nice addition. I've never heard of dry mix for hummus but it sounds vile, not to mention pointless since it couldn't be any easier to make properly.

Growing chick peas just to be able to make hummus seems like a heck of a hassle.

.

• lazy_gardens

They aren't worth the effort.

I cook the dried ones with onions and garlic and run them through the food processor. Then add some toasted sesame oil or tahini, a bit of lemon juice, chilis or whatever strikes your fancy.

I like it with lime and basil on fish.

• art_1

The mix is decent, fresh is better although it depends on your definition of easy.

• war garden

yield of chickpea/garbanzo beans is between 10-24 lbs per 100 ft row.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Art, you can buy a bag of dried garbanzos or cans already cooked at the grocery. I make homemade hummus frequently, there's a zillion great recipes on line.

I don't think you live in a suitable climate, regardless.

Your question is akin to asking how to grow potatoes because you want to make your own chips.

• Donna R

I grew a variety called "winnifred's garbanzo" last year, and will grow again. I direct sowed them, and they grew very large and produced a lot. I was very happy with them. Nothing (IMO) beats fresh chickpeas! Sorry, can't remember where I got them.

• glib

garbanzo are for sandy, semi-arid conditions. low yield but they make it where other more demanding crops do not make it.