Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_5717487

Updating the bathroom with paint and maybe flooring, any suggestions??

13 years ago
Ok, so this is the guest bathroom. It is very dated with peptobismol pink tile, and pink flowery wallpaper that is peeling. The lighting is low, and the window doesn't bring much light in (because of the curtain and old blinds). The sink is also pink and white tile, and the tub is supposed to be white, but is moldy due to lack of cleaning from his roommates (hence why I didn't take a picture). The floor and the toilet are off white.

What can I do to spruce up this bathroom??
I don't mind the pink tile, but there is too much pink for this dark bathroom.
I'd like to update it with paint instead of wallpaper, and maybe add a different flooring... any suggestions for color or style?

p.s. I apologize for the dark photos.

Comments (24)

  • 13 years ago
    I would change the tile on the floor to a similar looking one on the wall. I'd paint the walls a beige or cream color and get a new cream shower curtain. Then add a new light fixture that is brighter. Get pink picture frames and just hang them empty or with a picture ( you choose ). Get a new pink or cream window curtain that doesn't cover up too much of the window. Hope this helps! I'm not an expert though so wait and read what other people suggest. :)
  • 13 years ago
    also, here is a website that might interest you :) http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/
    User thanked kehlief
  • 13 years ago
    Interesting website, I will have to show that to Matt. Do you think framing the mirror would help like with a white frame or something?
  • 13 years ago
    Remove wallpaper, replace light over vanity.
    Remove curtain and blind, replace with new miniblind or better if budget allows,white plantation shutter.
    Scrub tub and change shower curtain.
    Replace floor and add white toilet.

    Here's a similar discussion
    http://houzz.com/discussions/515074
  • 13 years ago
    If you go gray paint, go lighter than this shower curtain.
    http://houzz.com/photos/1746121
    User thanked Judy M
  • 13 years ago
    Love the frame idea for around the mirror. Gives it a nice custom feel to it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Paint it yellow !!! Yellow & pink are a great combo, & will pick up the yellow tones of the floor. Prime first with Kilz to inhibit mold & mildew, then use a good eggshell paint. Get some Clorox Clean Up spray & spray the heck out of that mold & mildew!!! (I'll bet it's behind the wallpaper too). I would do a white matchstick blind on the window for some texture, a white wicker basket under the sink as a hamper, & a white "hotel" shower curtain (kind of a waffle weave). Small baskets in the counter to contain the clutter. DEFINITELY replace the light fixture to a 3 light. Replace the floor with a simple white tile if you can. A white frame around the mirror would be nice. Keep it simple & pattern-less, but add that texture!!!

    When you can though, I would replace the pink bullnose (cut out with a dremel tool) & replace. When you get to replace the vanity & tub, don't be surprised if there's a mildew issue in the tub area, which may call for a tear out to the studs & perhaps replacing affected framing. Just as an FYI.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you paint the walls white, remove the curtain and add light wood color Venetian blinds, and change the flooring to light wood, or light wood linoleum it would look much better. Use light green modern accessories and carpet and get the modern metallic up and down mirror light.
    This would look great with the nostalgic pink you have. For decoration you can use some green vegetation, like a small green plant in a white pot.
    User thanked Iris K. Rizenbah Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    @Judy M, recently we were looking at paint swatches, and we really like the idea of painting the bathroom a light gray color:)! Thank you so much for the idea! Light gray with the pink tile is gorgeous, and it brings a new sense of masculinity mixed with femininity. Definitely in love with the idea:)!
  • 12 years ago
    Love pink with gray. For more inspiration, look at pink dress shirts in the men's department of a fine retailer. Gray, navy, maroon- all could work. Pinstripe shower curtain, maybe.
    Don't give up on the tub. It may take several kinds of cleaners before it comes back. I found the orange based ones to work well. Good luck with your Mad Men bath!
    User thanked brickln
  • 12 years ago
    @Iris Design Studio, I like the venetian blinds idea too!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi! Have you thought about removable wall paper? its called tempaper, and you could do a pink black and silver sleek theme. Here are a few options:

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/bella-tempaper-wallpaper/

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/damsel-tempaper-wallpaper-collection/

    This would definitely give it some glam :)
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you, Warner Decor, but we are planning to paint the bathroom a light gray. We are planning to get some kind of light fixture with lots of lights, and keeping both the pink and white tile, and changing the flooring to white or a mix of white and gray. or gray tile. I love the venetian blinds idea, so I'll look into that... maybe a striped curtain like that of above... Still don't know what to put under the sink, what is that opening for anyway??
  • 12 years ago
    ooh and I want to frame the mirror with a black/ white/ silver frame...and I think I will change the knobs on the drawers too to match the sink hardware
  • 12 years ago
    Here's an idea I love! I know the tile is the wrong color, but I just love the style of how everything is put together!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Here are some knobs that I think would look stunning with white and gray:

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/turquoise-ceramic-and-metal-knobs-set-2/
    User thanked Warner Decor
  • 12 years ago
    You could do the same design as that floor but all white. I had something like that in college. Or you can do a white hex tile. Both are classic.
    User thanked egskomo
  • 12 years ago
    @Warner Decor, I like them! pretty! It's too bad that they aren't pink with the silver thing though...
  • 12 years ago
    I like both ideas, @egskomo
  • 12 years ago
    I'm looking to paint the walls a similar color to this and frame the mirror similarly
  • 10 years ago

    We updated the bathroom! We've also been married 4 months, so check out our progress (as we are still moving freshness into our little home)

    not bad, huh? As you can see, we still need new flooring, but it's coming along! We are so pleased! Thank you for all the advice!! See, you do make a difference;)

  • 10 years ago

    cute! congrats.

  • 10 years ago
    White tile floor maybe black and white tile floor since you like retro pink could be fun!