Software
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago

    Are you wanting general comments about the kitchen & family room, or do you have a particular issue you want help with such as furniture arrangement, curtains, paint colors, etc...?

    Crystal Ness thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    I would love help with choosing paint colors, window treatments, and rearranging furniture. I won't be buying major pieces of furniture. Thank you so much!

  • 8 years ago

    Your kitchen seems fine except that I would take everything off the fridge and remove the clutter on the counter next to it. Your living room is small and needs to be carefully edited. I would remove the stained glass window and change the drapes for ones that reach the floor and are a solid color unless the baseboard heater is the reason they're short. I would put a shade in the window and use that for privacy and leave the drapes open. The family photo collage would be better off in a more private space, and instead I would look for some beautiful artwork. I would also remove the metal flower by the door. Put the lighter-colored chair in front of the window facing straight into the room and put the red chair in the middle of the wall on the right. You can then move the sofa more to the left and perhaps a little closer into the room. In the picture it looks as though it's too close to the dining room and partially obstructing the doorway. Several pieces of good art in the living room would really take it to a different level.

    Crystal Ness thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    What is to the right of the flower wall decor? the foyer? The couch looks like it's half in, half out of the tv room. Can you try the arrangement Ingrid suggested and post another picture?

    I love stained glass, but it is competing with the curtains. I would change to solid curtains. Also, it looks like part of the windows are covered up. Could you move the curtains to the edges of the entire window? You have the wall space, it would let in more natural light and make the room appear larger.

    Crystal Ness thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Crystal Ness thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Great ideas to try. Looking forward to you posting with pictures again if you try some of them. (Remember to take everything off your counters and fridge before you take the new photos, then resume real life and put it all back afterwards.)

    I like the stained glass a lot, but as Lisa says, the curtains are competing for attention. I think neutral colored curtains would provide a better frame for the stained glass than the current multicolored ones do. Let the glass be the star.

    Crystal Ness thanked dragonflywings42
  • 8 years ago

    I'll make a few comments about the kitchen. We had an appliance garage and removed it when we did a kitchen face lift. I found that the things that were in there truly weren't used that often and it was okay for them to be in a cabinet. You have a lot of items on your counters. If you removed the garage and cleared off your counters it might give it a new feel.

    The hardware looks newer but I might have used darker hardware since the appliances and faucet are dark. Perhaps you could buy a few and see if you like that look. Spray paint on the old ones would be a cheap update.

    Do you need privacy at the window? Could the blind come down and open up that area?

    I find making some small changes that have been suggested can make your house really feel fresher and different.

    Crystal Ness thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I was wondering if I should have a white wooden blind instead of a dark brown one? Also, should I do faux Roman shades on the kitchen window and patio window? Another question I have is should I paint the wood around the window white?

  • 8 years ago

    Yes, my living room is sooooo small that my couch is half in and half out of the room. Would it be weird to put my couch in front of the window? I have 4 drapes on my window. Is that too many? Is that what you mean by open the drapes wider? What color drapes would you put in the living room? Should my accent wall be a brighter yellow to brighten up the rooms?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Aren't there three windows together? Can you move the rod/curtains out wider so the skinnier windows are also showing? That should help brighten up the room. I'm not sure how to calculate how many panels are needed.

    Crystal Ness thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Could you put your TV on the wall where the red chair is and put your two chairs facing the TV .,...that way you may be able to pull your couch farther into the room. To answer your question, I see nothing wrong with putting your couch on the window wall.....I see you have baseboard heating.....a real downer in arranging furniture...I have that problem also. if you have wall space, with your couch in front of the window, your TV flat against the wall where the square picture is, and the two chairs across from the TV, it may work. Probably need to get plain colored drapes for the window though....maybe white or beige..bring color in with pillows....no accent wall.

    Crystal Ness thanked erinsean
  • 8 years ago

    If you can move the TV to the wall where the red chair is, as suggested by erinsean, perhaps the sofa can then move to the wall where the large picture is. The chairs could then form an L with the sofa. Do you need/use the red chair?

    Crystal Ness thanked bac717