Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_4875821

Can a small raised bed be fairly low maintenance?

Delaney B
6 years ago

Hi,

It's not because I'm lazy, I'm not. But I'm not well a lot lately - which I'm hoping the fresh garden veg may help me with - but I have seriously low energy a lot- it varies. Last year I really wanted to make a small square foot raised garden but it never happened. I would like SO much to make it happen this year. Maybe one for veg and one for just flowers - some edible possibly. I am also really interested in heirloom plants as my grandfather and great uncle had veg and flower gardens. We did too growing up. I get depressed from not feeling well because it makes me feel so useless - so I don't want to set myself up for failure. I also have PTSD so I worry a lot and overplan without actually accomplishing much. It sucks. I want a cute little veg garden. I love old fashioned things. I imagine old fashioned flowers and at least 5 different veg - including leaf lettuces. So if I put in the effort to build the frame, set up the beds and do the initial planting can it be fairly easy to take care of? Say I spend 2 weeks getting it built and set up - on a daily basis after that how much time is needed to take care of them properly. I so want to achieve SOMETHING this Spring/Summer. :)

PS, The past me would have just knocked it out in a few days, lol, so that's partly why I'm so frustrated. But I think once I got it going it might cheer me up and GIVE me energy and health. Any thoughts or ideas?

Comment (1)

• Paul MI
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

First, plan on enlisting the aid of friends or family or neighbors for the initial setup. Heck if any of the above have legal aged kids ... offer to pay them for their services in beer.

How raised are you thinking? Beds that are on the ground but with the aid of retaining walls raise the soil level a foot or so above the ground level? Containers on legs raising the soil level to bench/table height 3 or more feet above the ground? (for an example of the latter, click >>> here)

The latter would limit what you could plant both due to plant size and more significantly the limitations of soil depth and weight of soil the containers could support. On the plus side, the latter method would require less stooping and kneeling -- something which might be highly beneficial if your current health makes getting up and down tiring or difficult. It could also be placed -- and next year moved if desired -- wherever would be most convenient for you ... whether on a patio or close to a door for easy proximity.

No reason you can't have some flowers intermixed with vegetable plants. Sweet alyssum makes for great ground cover when it fills out to help suppress some weeds and has a great honey like fragrance on warm sunny days. Also serves as a nectar source for many of the wild bees until your veggie plants are ready to flower. Or you can put down mulch to suppress weeds. If looks aren't critical, cardboard or newpaper (3-4page thick or more) will suppress much weed growth. Can always cover the board/newspaper with a thin layer of mulch if the more utilitarian approach doesn't quite look good to you. (And it makes it possible to use a lot less mulch which means less $ spent.)