Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_32232

I need help with updating my Grandfather's 1940's custom dining set!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone!
My grandfather was an artist as a living and loved making furniture as a hobby. Back in the late 1940's my Grandmother saw these chairs (pictured) and he lovingly built her a table and buffet to go with them (pictured). He died a couple of years ago so you can imagine why I didn’t want to just give this away.

The problem is, it’s not my style and I’m struggling with how to update it without having to buy all new chairs, etc. I was thinking maybe putting new doors on the Buffet but I’m not sure if I’d be able to do that.

So my questions are:
1. What are some ideas to update this? Stain the wood darker?
2. I’m getting the chairs re-caned (I have two more that have holes in the bamboo thanks to my 5 year old) but should I just get new chairs? It says on the bottom of the chairs they were made in 1924 so maybe it’s better to just refurbish them?
3. Any ideas on buffet? That’s the most outdated piece of the set I think. Will new doors work? I’m not sure they will with the overhang.

Thanks!

Chair
Buffet
Table

Comments (6)