Software
Houzz Logo Print
karemore55

Ensuite Bathroom With Longevity....Which Finish Is Best for Faucets?

8 years ago
Hello fellow Houzzers, Finally FINALLY we are re-doing our ensuite bathroom. I'm really concerned about getting the fixtures right...we will most likely be selling in a few years, so I'm trying to project which finishes will still be trending by then. Does anyone out there have a crystal ball? Otherwise, what's your best guess? ORB? Satin nickel? Matt black? And I hear there are some newbies like rose gold, stainless steel, etc. but they're expensive cuz they're new.

Comments (162)

  • 8 years ago
    You don't want fad finishes on your handles and faucets but are considering "greige" tiles on the floor. Greige is a fad. An actual GRAY tile would be far better than greige. A matte finish tile will be less slippery than bright glazed tile, so I suggest matte 12"x12" tiles for flooring and shower walls, and 1"X1" matte mosaic tiles for the shower floor. The counters could be gray-veined marble or granite or Quartz.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Not sure why you believe "greige is a fad." It's a perfectly fine neutral, a cross between gray and beige. Since the 18th Century, this classic has been used in many fine panoramic wall coverings, and was called "grisaille." Here are two examples in dining rooms:

    Duke Street, Alexandria · More Info



    Connecticut Estate · More Info

    Papers in this color are still being made by Zuber, de Gournay, and others, and certainly aren't outdated or faddish.

  • 8 years ago

    I don't think greige is a fad either. I do think that everyone was so excited to finally have the proper word for the colour (myself included) that it got thrown into spaces where it was used in a faddish way.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I’ve always considered Greige the new taupe. The same colors reinvent themselves over time with a tweek here and there and a name change.

  • 8 years ago
    This discussion about greige longevity is very interesting, and thank you Diana Bier for the fascinating history lesson about greige! It's probably a non-issue for me now, as I think I'll do what everyone else is doing - in other words play it safe - and go with marble look porcelain, somewhat like the pic below. I think I'll still use my beloved fish mosaic border in the shower, as Cathy Cahill is doing. It will be my personal touch, and if I lose out in a potential sale down the road because of it, then so be it.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Sounds lovely, karemore! Make sure to post photos when you are finished!

  • 8 years ago
    Great choices Karemore! You will be very happy.
  • 8 years ago
    Yes, I will definitely post pics. Thank you, everyone....I have really appreciated your help!
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Hi!! I hope you don't mind me adding my 2 cents to your design - I didn't read all the posts so forgive the redundancy.
    > Chrome is safe and timeless for fixtures
    > Glass block...are you absolutely married to it? If you are concerned about looking dated and resale, this would be #1 for me to absolutely not do and to replace with frameless.
    > White and greige are lovely but you need contrast. Consider black or navy.
    > soaker tubs in raised areas like this are already somewhat dated. Consider a freestanding pedestal tub.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Apologies, Houzz went rogue and posted an incomplete post:
    > re black or navy, this is for punctuation - not for the entire room. Example: black floors in your shower. All white and greige will look blanched and boring without something to offset. White and black is not only classic, when used uniquely it is also very on trend.

    > Be very careful about using ornate tiles and lots of trim. Mosaics, etc can easily look tacky and get outdated quickly.

    > Consider Carrera Bianco marble, porcelain hexes or an interesting concrete Moroccan tile instead of greige floor tiles (if I got that correct). These are classics and add interest to your home. I really like a great B&W Moroccan tile, which can really add punch to an otherwise super neutral space.

    > Finally: LOVE LOVE LOVE your view!! Assuming privacy is not a concern, would suggest big mirrors to reflect that back, and double yes on the frameless (hopefully double) shower so you can enjoy that view.
  • 8 years ago
    Ventralpal, Thanks for weighing in. The collage below shows the latest materials up for consideration. As you can see, it's overall a light look. I love many of the colors and patterns you are suggesting, but to be honest I don't think I could live with them for very long. For example, I love Morrocan tiles right now but I'm not sure I would still love them in a few years. Also, the main consideration with this bathroom is re-sale, so I think I should play it safe! Thanks again!
  • 8 years ago
    A closer look at the tiles...that's Statuario marble:
  • 8 years ago
    Does anyone know what the best lighting for doing makeup is? We are considering putting pot lights in the soffit that runs above the vanity area, and then doing wall sconces on each side of the mirrors - or, more precisely, the sconces will be on the mirrors since we will be doing large landscape mirrors. Do you think the pot lights will be OK? I have found that wall mounted vanity lights are hit and miss in terms of the quality of light they give. Also, my eyesight isn't that great, so doing close up work is a bit of a challenge.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Love the marble!! Great sconces and fixtures, too. If your major goal is resale it generally looks great - to my eye I'm not quite feeling the iridescent blue "fish" tiles - they don't look classic enough to harmonize with the marble, nor modern enough to contrast interestingly enough with them. Consider black marble subway tile, or another natural stone, if you want a border. And I reiterate the pedestal tub note - there are some gorgeous cast iron tubs for under $2K from signature hardware that can look stunning. But, you have a great basis here and I'm sure it will look great no matter what.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Oh right, I meant to respond to the freestanding tub suggestion....that's a personal preference of mine - I really dislike freestanding tubs lol. I love the convenience of the tub deck so I can have all my stuff close by without having to wheel some sort of table over there. Also, I like to have grab bars for getting out as those tubs are deep! I know the freestanding tubs are de rigeur these days, but they're just not for me.
    I seem to be getting mixed opinions about that mosaic tile. I was almost going to eliminate it, but a Houzzer posted a pic upthread of her newly finished bathroom, which included the same mosaic tile. I thought it looked stunning. I'm also drawn to the same mosaic colors in a small herringbone pattern, but somehow don't feel the herringbone will suit our bathroom. Maybe...just not sure? This room has a lot of angles because of its unusual shape, so I can't decide if the herringbone would complement that or add some hardness to it.

  • 8 years ago
    Kare, you are smart to include grab bars with your tub. I’ve had a free standing tub for 13 years and with the health challenges I’ve had lately, it is harder and harder to get out of!
  • 8 years ago
    Depo, I know exactly what you mean! My back is not the greatest and then there is generalized weakness that makes it hard to get out of those soaker tubs without a bit of leverage. We also love the little arm rests on the sides which you don't usually see in the freestanding tubs. I really don't know how most people cope with them lol.
  • 8 years ago

    I don't know if the advice I was given is sound or not in regards to pot lights over vanity. I was told they are not good for makeup application because they throw shadows.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    You go girl! Safety in bathrooms is important. Good you are making provisions for that. Most accidents happen in or near home.
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks, Pink Peony....yes, it's the shadows I'm worried about. Do you think that wall sconces only is the way to go?
  • 8 years ago
    Flo Mangan, we aren't getting any younger!
  • 8 years ago

    Love the tile! Yes to scones.

  • 8 years ago

    Kare, your choices are perfect! As for lighting I have LED small pods and vanity sconces. The best light would be Day Light bulbs for the sconces.

    I also put grab bars in our shower and above the claw foot tub. I use that grab bar as a towel bar too. Make sure your contractor puts wood blocks where you want them to go even if you don't put them in now. Take a photo so if down the road you want to add them you remember where they are. Also take measurements of where they are. You need extra support for them.

    If you want drama you should think about a black vanity.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you, Happy - and another vote for sconces!
  • 8 years ago
    Chrome
  • 8 years ago
    Cathy, Once again thanks for your invaluable advice. That is an excellent idea about the support blocks for future grab bar in the shower. I wouldn't have thought to do that otherwise. Yes, I was thinking mini pots, not regular size. I'm hoping that even if I do get shadow from the pots, the side sconces will give me enough light? Now, the black vanity....I have never seen one! Not sure if I want a dramatic look anyway, but it's funny...my husband keeps saying we should get some black in there. I remember reading in a decorating book some years ago that every room should have a bit of black in it, to ground the space. So, I'm not sure if I should tell him about your idea or not lol.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I think your modifications are good. The accent tiles will look more obvious with grout. So consider how much you want each tile to stand out. The lighter white the more distinct they will look. A light gray will blend tiles together more.
  • 8 years ago
    Flo, I'm thinking light gray so that they blend more...they are small tiles (the mosaic ones), so probably best to blend them? But that does raise an interesting question - I imagine we should use the same color grout that we use with the marble tiles, so just trying to picture large (24"X24") tiles in the floor....should we use white or gray? And by white, I'm thinking more of a bone white - not a white-white.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Shahbad Ahmed - yes, chrome it will be!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Use grout color that is best for each tile. Takes a bit of deft hand with accent tiles at joints where you might change grout color. If you can do just one color that is a plus. Just not super white.
  • 8 years ago
    Alright, I will discuss with the tile guy - who I haven't met yet, but if I get a sense that he knows his colors, I'll see what he thinks.
  • 8 years ago

    Pictures - Black and bling for a little drama. We added a bench in the shower but you can just use a teak bench if you ever need one. We used light gray grout as white is a little stark and gets dirty fast even with the best grout. And yes there are good, better and best in grout too.

  • 8 years ago
    Keep the style simple. Brushed nickel is easier to keep looking good because it doesn't show moisture spots like chrome does. Shaker cabinetry can go modern, but it is also classic. Put in as many drawers as possible. Storage for towels, toilet paper and tissue. Individual medicine cabinets is always a good idea. Double vanities/two sinks is preferred in a master bathroom. If there isn't room for two, at least provide drawers and storage for two people. Four GFI outlets in the wall above the vanity are really helpful. Small mosaic tiles on the shower floor is safer than large tile because more grout lines make it less slippery. Solid surface counters (granite, Quartz, Corian) are easy to keep clean. Textured (not shiny, glossy) floor tiles are less slippery, too. A clear glass shower enclosure has to be wiped and/or squeegeed after every shower...lightly frosted glass or "rainwater" patterned glass is easier to maintain. Recessed lighting about 30" from the mirror wall, plus over-mirror 2/3-light sconces provide better lighting for shaving and makeup than just sconces or just a ceiling fixture. Have your grout lines properly sealed with a chemical sealant made for grout....it protects the grout from damage and discoloration due to frequent doses of water, soap and shampoo, and bathroom cleaning products. A good vent with an exhaust fan to remove excess moisture and aromas is a very good thing.
  • 8 years ago
    Cathy, Your bathroom looks awesome - what a showstopper! You did a great job! I see what you mean about the black vanity...and I'd be tempted to do the same but I'm also keeping in mind what is going on elsewhere in the house, including the kitchen, and I feel like the black might look out of place. However, I am tucking this idea away for the next house lol. As I said, we will most likely be moving in 2 - 4 years, so I will be wanting to try something new. Again, your bathroom is beautiful - congratulations on a job well done!
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Felizlady, Thanks for all your advice. We are doing pretty much all of the things you are suggesting, so it's good to know we are on the right track! I do have a question, though...you are saying to do recessed lights 30" from the mirror - does that not put the pot light behind you if you are standing at the vanity? I'm concerned about shadows and generally poor lighting so I'm having trouble picturing the pot lights being this far back. Is there a reason why you are specifying 30"? Thanks!

  • 8 years ago
    Karemore there is a product called Endura that you can buy at Home Depot and put on the glass shower and you will not have to squeegee. Just read the directions. My condo neighbors all use it.
  • 8 years ago
    Here...
  • 8 years ago
    This looks like an interesting product, gls - don't you at least have to wipe the tiles and glass down with a cloth then? If it really works that would be great. It's a big shower!
  • 8 years ago
    I just looked up the Enduroshield and it looks like it's intended for the glass doors? So I think I would still have to squeegee the tiles. I have also heard that Rainex works on shower doors - it was actually an old Houzz thread about shower doors where I read this lol.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I haven’t tried that exact product but a similar one and i just prefer the squeegee. Part of the benefit of squeegee is you quickly move water to the floor and drain. Your floor drop to your drain should keep water moving out of shower. But personal choice. Read instructions carefully before committing to using.
  • 8 years ago

    I have problems after I squeegee glass block window in shower. It's caulked with clear. I spray with vinger to keep mold away. Sometimes in a hurry. I'm also the only one who'll do that. 2 others won't.

  • 8 years ago
    Happy, that is so frustrating when others won't wipe down the shower - it makes your cleaning so much harder. My son is like that in the downstairs showers. We plan to get a new shower door for his bathroom and I plan to use either Rainex or this Enduro on it and try and outsmart him.
  • 8 years ago

    We use a microfiber cloth to wipe the shower doors. NO squeegee our glass guy suggested. To clean use a Magic Easer. Use Sprayway glass cleaner to clean and shine the glass and tile. Always run the fan for at least 30 minutes to help dry out the shower and bathroom. Ask your glass installer what they recommend.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Personally, I prefer brushed nickel for faucets and hardware. It has a warmer more refined look to it; polished chrome has always felt too stark and cold to me. It works for me in a very modern style house, but for me I prefer the warmth.

    I think you will be really happy with those tiles. The Tierra Sol Gani Marble tiles look really nice installed.

    The parade home of the model we are building has the large Calacatta ones for flooring, and the Calacatta hex as backsplashes (rectangular tiles are standard, hex is a small upgrade). They used a white grout for backsplashes so the hex is visible but still subtle. The Calacatta has subtle delicate patterning so I would not want to chop small tiles up too much with a very obvious grout and take away that delicate nature:


    We are using the Statuario White hex for our backsplashes in kitchen and baths...it looks a little darker in my photo than in real life. Here it is against CS Bianca Drift and SS Blanco Maple samples, cabinet is Alabaster. Grout sample is warm gray. The Calacatta hex is on left.

    I would not use white grout for the floor tiles and shower tiles personally, as I would be more concerned with discolouration. I think with a much larger tile you can get away with something a bit darker. You can see in the bathroom photo above there is darker grout in floor tile than the backsplash - I think our design lady told us she used warm gray there. Try maybe a pewter or light silver if you want something a bit cooler than that?

    We are doing a more “boring” floor and shower tile (Tierra Sol Tufo Aviori) as all Gani Marble was too much marble for me and I like something more matte/textured for floors (I know Gani Marble comes in matte though too, in hex at least, so that may be an option). I suppose it would be considered a greige as in real life it does have some warmth :p


  • 8 years ago
    Cathy, Our shower is so big that water rarely hits the glass door so I'm not too worried about that. It's the tiles and grout I get more concerned about - and I know you can seal the grout but have read conflicting info on that. I'll have to do a little more research. I'm curious to know where you store the microfibre cloth and squeegee if you have one? I find it's a challenge to keep the shower looking pretty. Even a visible shampoo bottle ruins the look IMO. I did notice you have attractive containers for your products...not sure I'm willing to go that far to "get the look", though!
  • 8 years ago
    Rai Kai, Thanks so much for your input and for posting those gorgeous photos. I just want to clarify - are the first two pics of the kitchen and bathroom from the show home? And then the sample board with white cabinet sample, statuario marble and Bianca Drift quartz is what you will be doing in your own home? I love the Calacatta and Statuario equally, but feel that for our bathroom a little less white and more pattern is the way to go. I'm glad you showed the Bianca Drift as we have been having second thoughts about our choice of Silestone Calacatta quartz, thinking maybe it will be too much white for such a large bathroom? Just last night I was looking at other possibilities on Silestone site, but I'll move over to Caesarstone today and look up the Bianca Drift. So, thanks for introducing it to me!
    The brushed or satin nickel would have been my first choice, and in all honesty it's my preferred look, but I started this thread after the sales rep in the bathroom store told me that brushed nickel was on the way out. Since we will be selling in a few years, that got me worried. The consensus on this thread was to go with chrome so I'm fine with that....but I do get what you're saying about satin nickel being softer and warmer, which I think is important in a bathroom. We do plan to panel rather than tile around the soaker tub, as well as hang curtain panels on the sliding glass door, so hopefully the bathroom will still look warm and inviting. But in light of what I heard about satin nickel, my other dilemma is what finish for the new door knobs throughout the house? We need to replace the nineties brass ones, and here I can't quite picture chrome, mainly because of its fingerprint issues. I suspect we will go with satin nickel because I really don't see any other choices looking right.
    I'm curious to know if you're in Canada? I thought Tierra Sol was Canadian but perhaps they are in the US too?
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Hi @karemore55 - yes I am Canadian :)

    Yes, the first two photos are from the show home. Third photo is our picks (we are doing a shaker cabinet without the raised innner edge, but same colour). Last is a photo of our floor & shower tile - photo from Tierra Sol site as my own photos from design centre made it look a little dark.

    The Calacatta and Statuario are both lovely and we had a hard time choosing too, but ultimately the countertop decided it as it just worked a bit better with it. So, depending what you do choose for a counter, either could be better fit.

    I like the Bianca Drift as it patterned but it is a subtle pattern. All depends what look you are going for as all white in a large bathroom can look pretty luxe!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    That's beautiful Kai!

  • 8 years ago
    Well, my husband is now loving the Bianca Drift so I have a feeling that is the way we are going. But I know what you mean about the all-white...it was he who was unsure of all the white and I wasn't totally sold on it, so it was pretty easy to convince me otherwise. We brought home a sample of Bianca Drift this afternoon and it looks wonderful with everything, whereas I kept wondering about our SS Calacatta sample.....the white was different from the white in the statuario samples. When you are looking at such small samples, it's so hard to determine whether that difference will be an issue or not. While the two whites didn't seem to be clashing, perhaps on a large scale their differences would have been more obvious. We are heading out of town tomorrow for a bit, then I think I'll look at everything with fresh eyes when we get home. Do you mind me asking what part of Canada you're in? I'm in Kelowna, but have spent most of my life in Calgary with a couple of shorter stints in other parts of BC and Alberta.
  • 8 years ago

    @karemore55 - I have lived in Southern Alberta the last few years, but I spent most of my life in Winnipeg :)

    I look forward to seeing what you do decide to do!