Software
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_banachgebert

Walk-in Closet Design Help

8 years ago
We are about to start on our last bathroom remodel which includes creating a walk-in closet (pic attached, not exactly to scale, but close). We are doing this ourselves and we already completed the smaller bathroom shown but before we start on the master I have a few questions regarding the closet.
1. Does it make sense for the door to the closet be in the bathroom or should we move it to the bedroom? My husband would prefer it in the bathroom to not have a door but maybe a pocket door?
2. If door is kept in bathroom what type of flooring makes sense? Tile? Carpet?
3. Should we frame out the closet first or figure out the organizing system first to make sure we have studs in the appropriate places? I would also like at least one outlet for ironing but feel that would need to coincide with the organizing system to make sure it is in an ideal spot.
4. Any advice on closet organizers that won’t bust the budget?
5. Any advice on lighting?
Thank You!

Comments (5)

  • 8 years ago

    Regarding where the closet door goes.. in the bedroom is the wall that the closet door wold go on a wall where either the bed or a dresser is on? Also, do you or your husband like to have the bathroom to yourself as having a closet door in the bathroom means that you both could be in and out of there at the same time. Humidity in the closet could also be an issue. You might want to layout an organizational system with both the door in the bathroom and with the door in the bedroom and see if one works better than the other.

    Also, if you want a rug in front of the 1st sink, you could have an issue with closing and opening the door.


  • 8 years ago
    The wall wouldn’t have anything on it so a door there isn’t a problem. We have separate shower/bathroom habits so most likely won’t be in there together and also have two other bathrooms to use. I feel a door to the closet would be better and for humidity we will have an exhaust fan and window to alleviate that. Good idea about laying out the organizing system with doors in both places to see which layout feels better. A rug would only be outside the shower door. We will put in floor heating and we are slipper people so no rugs needed anywhere else for us.
  • 8 years ago

    You will be in the bathroom together when one of you needs to use the closet so your separate shower/bathroom habits won't be so much separate. Humidity could still be a problem as humidity doesn't get sucked out all at once. If the closet door will be in the bathroom, might consider running the same flooring as in the bathroom and with the floor heated.

    When you do the closet layout, I always figure out what I have currently in feet for hanging and make sure that is covered in the new closet and then I see how much extra space I end up with and determine if that is enough. If not, then I see if I can reconfigure and get more out of the space. 24" from the wall out for hanging is the number you want to work with.


  • 8 years ago

    Since you have the closet in the bathroom now, how do you like it? We once had the closet at the end of the master bathroom. I remember at first it seemed a little weird that anytime I needed to grab something from my closet (i.e. a sweater to go for a walk) that I had to walk through the bathroom to get it. But maybe it's not a bad thing. Probably reminded me to brush my hair after pulling on a sweater, lol. Regardless, I got used to it. FWIW, we had a late 1980s townhouse with carpet even in the bathroom (I know) and so the carpet ran through to the closet. We kept the closet door open most of the time and it was fine. (BTW I'm not a fan of pocket doors) I like the suggestion to try different layouts. Maybe flooring will make a difference. Presumably you have different flooring in the bedroom and the bath. Do you have a preference for which type of flooring?

  • 8 years ago
    I don’t mind having the closets in the bath area now. Everything is carpeted in there now except for a small tile area in the shower/toilet closet. I’m looking forward to tiling the entire bathroom just not sure about the closet. We will be replacing all the carpet in the house once we finish this bathroom so putting in carpet won’t be an issue. If the door to the closet is in the bedroom then putting in carpet wouldn’t be a question, just wondering about the flow and threshold of changing at that point if the door is in the bathroom.