Software
Houzz Logo Print
ginawithag

Exterior re-do

13 years ago
We are replacing our current concrete foundation with brick. Will a brick paver driveway & walkway, along with a brick foundation all work well with my style home (whatever it is...not sure)?

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    You have a traditional home. I think a brick foundation would be a great addition...use the same brick as your entry steps. The driveway and walkway could be concrete outlined in brick, with brick "ribbons" if you feel a solid brick drive and walkway would be too much.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Looks like there is already brick stairway for the entry area.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Use the same brick on your steps and get wider shutters. TIMBERLANE is right. Pep- Up your landscape but don't use red mulch.
    ginawithag thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    The pencil trees and three clumpy shrubs are out of visual sinc with the other greenery nearer the steps. I'd remove them and put in dwarf azaleas, and edit the clumpy greenery around the fountain and statue too. Agree that the shutters are too skinny. When you search under Photos for white house brick foundation, you rarely see such red or so much contrast. Consider a visually softer color of brick unless you want to leave the red and paint the house for less contrast.
    New Orleans Charm with a Private Courtyard · More Info

    Custom Craftsman Home Exterior · More Info

    Residences in DeBordieu Colony, Georgetown, SC · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    We are replacing all brick currently in place. I want to use an old brick style...something like reclaimed Chicago old style brick...on the steps, porch, and foundation (currently dark gray concrete)
  • 13 years ago
    More current pics attached:
  • 13 years ago
    More "updated" pics attached:
  • 13 years ago
    this pic could reference the white against the old brick
    My Houzz: Eye Candy Colors Fill an 1800s New Orleans Victorian · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The only contast that you really see from the road is a white house with black shutters I think there should be more contast maybe the siding needs to be a biege.
  • 13 years ago
    You have a beautiful home, please post pics when complete! Good Luck!
  • 13 years ago
    I love the white siding, I would personally do something with the plants. If you are in the south, you might be tired of the typical picks, Azaleas, Crepe Myrtles, or rose bushes, but you really need some color. I also agree that the shutters need to be replaced and maybe a different color used.
  • 13 years ago
    Mary pointer, what color do you suggest?
  • 13 years ago
    Rubel Builders, OMG, r u kidding?! We recently repainted the white. I doubt my husband would go for repainting AGAIN! Looks like we're stuck with white/black for awhile! :-)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'm not saying you have to I think the design is great!!!just throwing the idea out there.
  • 13 years ago
    Gina, the black shutters don't look terrible. I would live with them too, but I would suggest painting the front door glossy black, and adding a kick plate in a nice shiny brushed gold or brass. That would look so beautiful! If you decide to change the shutters, I like a lighter color like sage green or slate blue. I hate to say it but the real problem I see are those tall cone shape trees, I would cut the down to a couple of feet below the roof lines, if you keep them. Then add in some peonia's or drawf rose bushes. That would be lovely. It looks like you are limited on space in the flower beds, you might want to add a small bed on the other side of the walkway, just where it meets the driveway. I would personally do a curved bed, with a crepe myrtle or a rose of sharon bush cut into a tree form. Hope this advice helps.