Software
Houzz Logo Print
bonitapplebum

Viking baffles filters - how to clean

8 years ago

I have a Viking professional hood with 2 baffle filters and in the 1 year I've had them I am having the worst time figuring out how to clean them.


Currently, once a month, I'm spraying with an oven cleaner outside and leaving it under a covered patio area for the night and then wiping with a damp towel and using a dry toothbrush to scrub between baffles. It's a lot of work.


I've read that people are putting them in the dishwasher and I have tried that but they come out with what feel like particles of soap dried all over. I use Kirkland brand soap packets that you put in the dishwasher still dry and have tried rinse aid but same result. Is there a different dishwasher detergent I should use?


Is there a way to make this easier? We cook daily and ideally I'd like to clean the baffles twice a week, but I can't seem to find a way that would make this easier.

Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago
    Weird!
    I wash mine in the dishwasher too (tried hand washing them after soaking them in the sink with a lot of Dawn once... too much work!) but I haven't had that happen.
    I usually use Kirkland brand detergent as well... but I realized that every time I run my baffles through the dishwasher I use Cascade Fryer boil out instead of my usual detergent. Hubby got a case of it when we were having dishwasher troubles and were checking to see if it was the detergent or not. (It wasn't... we figured out the problem... but I had all this Fryer boil out detergent so I use it when I wash the baffles, LOL! It works great for me!)
    bonitapplebum thanked skmom
  • 8 years ago

    skmom I'm willing to try anything at this point. I just ordered Cascade Fryer boil out and hopefully that works for us! Thankyou

  • 8 years ago

    skmom Does the cascade boil out also clean underneath the baffles where they are hard to reach? I'm not sure if I'm explaining that well but essentially does it clean the whole baffle filter uniformly? Also how much are you adding per load?

  • 8 years ago
    Oh... I'm adding enough powder to mostly fill up the soap dispenser in my dishwasher.
    bonitapplebum thanked skmom
  • 8 years ago
    I have a Viking hood with baffles and wash them in my dishwasher on a regular basis. I usually spray the baffles with windex before putting them in the dishwasher to help cut the grease (if they are really bad I’ll windex and then scrub the grooves lightly with a toothbrush to loosen the grease). Bosch dishwasher and I use 7th generation soap and Cascade rinse Aid. Works like a charm!
    bonitapplebum thanked mle0782
  • 8 years ago

    mle0782 Oh this is very interesting! Does the windex cut the grease? Do you spray and put them in your dishwasher or let them sit awhile?


    I also have a Bosch dishwasher that is under a year old and someone posited that it was possible the dishwasher wasn't as effective because it was energy efficient.

  • 8 years ago
    My Bosch is a 16 year old, energy efficient model (by the standards when we bought it) and it usually does fine. Sometimes, I will let the baffles sit in the washer after I windex them but not consistently.
  • 8 years ago
    Oh, and yes, the ammonia in the Windex cuts the grease:
  • 7 years ago
    I realize this thread is a bit old but, thought I’d share what I’ve learned over the past two years with Viking range & pro hood.
    I spray Krud Kutter on baffles, let sit about 30 mins, then use a microfiber cloth, a little dish soap and hot water to easily wash away the grease. For the inside of hood, I use the handheld steamer from my Shark steam mop, apply steam to fairly small area at a time, then wipe away grease with a wet microfiber cloth. The whole process takes me less than an hour. I believe the microfiber cloth is key!
    I clean the baffles monthly, or more often if needed (we cook 3 to 5 times a week) and the inside hood, quarterly - or more often, if needed. If I can smell the “old grease smell” when not near the stove, I know it needs to be cleaned.
    Hope this helps anyone who might need it.
  • 5 years ago

    I can’t figure out how to put the baffles back 😕

  • 4 years ago

    Same…..anyone have advice? Somehow when i put them back the way they looked before they eant to fall out….

  • 3 years ago

    I have a fairly older model recirculating fan: VWH3010SS, so my fan does not vent to the outside. From the info I have, the filters last six months to a year. They are charcoal filters and cannot be cleaned in the dishwasher. They can be removed and wiped down for general cleaning.