Software
Houzz Logo Print
csingsull

Why are your Vanguard sofas priced so high?

Last April, 2017 I purchased the Vanguard Newberry Park Sofa 608-S. Houzz had it listed for $1,227, on sale. I purchased the sofa during a phone conversation with Houzz staff. A week or so later, I received an email alerting me that my purchase had been cancelled because the sofa was NO LONGER IN STOCK.
And yet, Houzz’ web site continued to offer the very same Vanguard Newberry Park sofa, (the one that I had already paid for but was later told it was “out of stock”).

The only change? The price had doubled to over $4,066. Houzz apologized for their error.

While discussing this listing error with Houzz staff, I kindly alerted them to several other low-priced Vanguard couch listings on their web site. Each pricing error was immediately corrected by Houzz. But, I was neither thanked or offered any sort of small coupon compensation for my help.

The company offering the Vanguard couch I had bought on sale for $1,277 was called, “Benjamin Rugs and Furniture” or “BR&F.”

I was in desperate need of a couch. I had given away my old couch in preparation for arrival of my new Vanguard Newberry Park. However, I refused to pay the the RE-listed $4K price-tag. BR&F dealt with this by offering me the Vanguard at a 56% discount on RE-buying the couch. Still, their discounted version was over $1,700 or $500 more than I had already paid!

I replaced my old 30 year-old No. Carolina-made, “ Sheldon couch which showed wear on upholstery but maintained the shape and comfort I enjoyed on the delivery day.
It took more than 10 weeks for me to finally receive the new Vanguard sofa. On the day it arrived, I loved it’s looks. Then I sat down.
The cushions have zero substance. They feel like they’re stuffed with low density foam. There is nothing in these cushions to provide spring-back, leaving deep indented pockets outlining the rear of any person sitting on our couch. I felt ripped off. Was this some kind of payback for my having complained!
A few months into owning this couch, I realized that in spite of my regularly, almost daily, rotating the Vanguard’s cushions, there now exists permanent butt dents in the cushions of our 1 year-old, highly priced Vanguard couch. My guess is that the low-density foam inside these pricey cushions is breaking down.
We are not heavy people either. I am 115 lbs and my husband is 160 lbs.
Why do you place premium prices on such inferior furniture. I wish I had never given away my old Sheldon. For less than I paid for a new Vanguard couch, I could have recovered the older but decently made couch.
Shame on you and your mis-leading prices.
This is my cautionary tale: high prices do not equal good quality or reasonable service.
Buyer beware!
Vanguard Furniture Camilla Left Corner Sofa · More Info

Comment