Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hutchae84

SW Exterior paint colors

Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I would love some starting ideas for a neutral exterior color for a 1920s Craftsman. I prefer light or mid tone paint paired with white trim and a dark door (navy, black or deep green).

The shape (window placement, roof lines) is very similar to the house, except we have a regular shingle roof.

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

Can we see your house? The landscaping, lighting, and roof color will all need to be taken into consideration.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, delayed picture as we don't live there yet (renovating everything). I did pick up some paint samples to try SW Dorian gray, classic French gray, fawn brindle and one more I need to find the name of. Trim will be painted some variation of white.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Last paint sample is Mindful grey

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I tested out the above samples and I would love opinions. I would like a neutral but I am wary of the gray appearing trendy later on. And also with going with the brick. Would you paint the shingles a slightly darker color than the body or keep it the same color?

From top to bottom:

Classic French gray

Dorian gray

Fawn brindle (husband didn't like)

Mindful gray.

• Rawketgrl
    6 years ago

Brick = pressure wash & done

Siding & Shingles = Agreeable Gray or Amazing Gray

Trim = Alabaster

• Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    I think a more sage or green grey exterior would look nice
  • Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Would you do the shingles the same color as the body or a different color?

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Irene-i do like the sage green but I know my husband wouldn't go for it. Our current Craftsman is the above sage green color and he dislikes it.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

A little hard to see...what color is the roof?

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's a reddish brown, it's very close to the current trim color.

• Rawketgrl
    6 years ago

Siding & Shingles = the same

• Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    How about BM Evening Dove, looks smart, a grey blue colour.
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    6 years ago

Oh do I love this exterior! Color is everything here. I would get a designer on this for photoshop work because it could go in so many directions. Needs some exploration before diving in. Good luck!

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Irene, I do love that color and I think it would work well with the other elements.

Color zen-thanks! I decided to book a color consultation for tomorrow. I think if I had more time to figure it out I could do it on my own but with such a short timeline and making sure the color works with (or at least not against) the roof and brick, is a big concern if mine.

I'm still open to more ideas though!

• ptreckel
    6 years ago
    Check with your local historical society for suggestions on colors to paint your Craftsman style bungalow. Many paint lines, including SW have historic color ranges by Home style that you should look at. And This Old House’s website will be helpful, too. It was common to paint the trim darker than the house’s body when these homes were constructed, not the reverse. Although many of the above cited homes look lovely with light trim. I would urge you to paint the windows, themselves, the darkest color in your palate. Earth tones tended to be the preferred colors chosen. Good luck with your renovation! Your home is adorable!
  • Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ptreckel-when you say trim being darker, do you mean the inner window trim or all of the trim? I did pick up some of the historical chips from SW yesterday to use for reference and the color consultation works for them so she should be able to help. I live in Seattle so we do have quite a bit of homes that have kept the historical color choices for Craftsmans and while I do appreciate them I don't love all the contrasting colors together (yellow, red and green together seems to be pretty common here, as seen below).

We got a quote for 3 colors and while I'm leaning towards painting the inner window trim a darker color, my husband thinks we should use the 3rd color for the shingles. I think I would prefer the shingles and base to be the same color. I'm open for classic Craftsman colors though, my husband is just a little more "reserved"

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also this is probably a really silly question but if I were do the inner window trim a darker color could I do dark on the outside and paint it white on the inside? Or would it need to be the same color the interior and exterior panel trim?

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thought I'd update to say we will most likely go with SW pussywillow for base, dovetail for shingles and alabaster for trim. She recommended not doing the inner window trim a different color since some of the windows have been replaced with vinyl.

Another option for the base is light French gray but consultant said there would be more of a contrast with the dovetail and I only want a slight variation with the shingles.

• renovatorme
    5 years ago

I would love to see a pic of your house painted the pussywillow and alabaster. So funny, those were the two I had picked out but I'm not sure how they will look!

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Sw willow tree could be nice, a grey green
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Sw worldly grey could be nice also
  • charaj00
    5 years ago
    I will be watching for a photo of the financial shed work. This house is beautiful. Question for all Houzzers: How important is the color of the roof when selecting exterior colors. I think I read this roof is reddish brown, which makes me think the existing colors should be refreshed and not changed to greys or blues???
  • susiesworld
    5 years ago
    Pale yellow. Behr Whisper yellow , white trim , navy door
  • Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi, I need to get a more recent picture. Here is one from when it was still being painted (not all trim done). I'll try and stop by the house and get a more recent one today. I was worried about the roof color but I think it works well with the house color. I wish the gray was a little warmer but it changes depending on sunlight.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Couple more pics, we are replacing the exterior doors and lighting so feel free to give input on those. Still a work in progress (ongoing remodeling still happening) so not as cleaned up as it should be.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So I was hoping on more guidance on choosing new exterior doors for this home. I believe my husband and I have decided on a traditional 4 panel front door that we would most likely paint. For the exterior (if we went with wood), we were thinking of leaving it natural/staining it. We are trying to decide between natural wood and fiberglass, any insight?

Fiberglass back and front.

Wood options, front and back

For wood, they have a ton of different species to choose from (fir, white oak, red oak, knotty pine, hemlock, maple, cherry, alder, cedar, ash, Cypress, pine, walnut, etc). Any tips on how to choose? I'm assuming if we are painting front we would just go with poplar? But I'm unsure on back door.

• Cyndi Craven
    5 years ago

Thank you SO much for sharing your photos. I have 9(!) colors painted on the outside of my house trying to decide. Pussywillow has been my favorite all along, and your pics have convinced me to go with it... which is great because my painters want my colors tomorrow. Your house looks so beautiful. The Dovetail is superb for the shingles, too.

• arokes726
    5 years ago
    Regarding your window painting questions - the sash should be a different color (your darkest color) than the trim. The trim is the mounding around the window opening plus the part of the jamb that is visible from the outside. So in this picture the trim is cream and the sash is the paprika-y color.
  • Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Cindy, I'm glad you like it and the pictures helped you decide. Good luck tomorrow!

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Arokes-i wanted to originally do the window sash a different color but was advised against it since quite a few of the windows had been replaced with vinyl. If we had all original windows then I would have gone for it