Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Have you noticed you can say "Thank you?"

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Hey everyone, in our latest release we gave posters the ability to thank people that comment on their Design Dilemma or other post.

Look for the link next to the "like" link on any comments for a discussion that you start.

Party Favors · More Info

Comments (136)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Darzy, I totally appreciated your asking for separate listings for us pros, but personally I would prefer to be listed with everyone else, though on some merit along with quantity, and I'm delighted to hear that other things than quantity are now being taken into account.

    I do recall last year when the commenter list was topped by people giving advice that made my eyes roll, or whose advice mostly consisted of, "I agree with xxxx". I'm delighted that houzz is growing and we are growing along with it!
  • 13 years ago
    Ohhhhh! That clears things up for me.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree that Darzy is awesome and Carolyn is one of the few pros that I believe her words are gold.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you, Angela, that means a great deal to me to hear you say that! Those are words I shall cherish.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    But, hey, on a lighter note, do you realize that the value of gold has tumbled drastically this month!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Well, Carolyn maybe I can find some other words to say how precious you are. I am on here a lot and each and every time that I see your comments they have always been some of the best. I really wish I could have you in my pocket.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I look at Houzz as a collaborative effort and I am thrilled when we TOGETHER find a solution. You guys are great to work with.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Well, as the #1 name on the list today, I am betwixt and between. Am I a valuable contributor or simply regarded by some as one who supplies only "a quantity of posts"?

    I feel I am someone, who after years of decorating my home, having collected beautiful accessories, provided a warm, welcoming home for my family, where they can bring their friends and we, ours, at anytime, gives me some credibility.

    Although my degrees are not in design, I have built a good business by word of mouth. My home has been photographed for a well known home design magazine.

    I am here on houzz to share my ideas and learn from other houzzers. But there is more to houzz than our discussions. Houzz is a well of information provided to us by those who sometimes never involve themselves in our daily chats. Those are the true professionals here on houzz.

    Being on the top of the list today only means that this week I found dilemmas which interested me. To think that some actually are evaluating me and the other 99 houzzers who are listed seems not in the spirit which houzz intends for their site.

    I appreciate Emily's support of loyal contributors be they professionals or simply enthusiasts.
    Emily Hurley thanked elcieg
  • 13 years ago
    You are awesome too judyg
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @ judyg. I greatly value your input on design questions and you should be thrilled to be at the top of the list today, particularly now that we know that it's based on things other than quantity! Congratulations to you to and Angela Pascoe, too, who I noted was number one quite recently! I haven't been number one in a long time but I feel that I'm in very good company on that list.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you Angela, but I am not awesome, just another houzzer as are you, loving the camaraderie.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you Angela! That makes me feel good!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Carolyn, I think that Em has put our involvement into perspective.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Judyg..you ARE awesome! Your ideas are right on and I really enjoy reading your posts. I also love the friendly camaraderie and even enjoy it when someone politely notes why my idea may not be so great. Houzz is a great learning and sharing place.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Darzy, houzz is all that and more. I did not respond because my feelings were hurt…far from that. I responded because where you are on that weekly list is not a barometer of your talent or ability. It is, however, a barometer of your enthusiasm. This week I was loaded with it.

    I just received a threatening note from Dy. He wants a recount and a do-over.
  • 13 years ago
    Very Nice to Be Here,And you?
  • 13 years ago
    Dy is a doll, but what hope does he have with all we women.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I have to say - I love contributing on Houzz and reading all the other fab ideas ! But sometimes I'm just too busy with work to spend hours on here too ! That doesn't mean I don't want to be ! Just that there's not enough hours in the day ! So this means I won't be #1 on the listings :-( Although I think I was once a while back - maybe for a day ?!? So I hope people don't think worse of someone's input if they are not high on the listings ?!?
  • 13 years ago
    OnePlan - I think when people are reading comments they are more interested in the content than the poster, especially if they are looking for ideas. Quality always shows out over quantity. Wouldn't we all love 12 hours a day for Houzz and 12 hours to live/work/play - pity we need sleep.
  • 13 years ago
    I say lose the list. And I've been on top of there a couple of times now, but really... if we don't know why one is on there and how one gets up there, who cares?
  • 13 years ago
    I do agree with Emily though that if the full criteria were known there are those who could contrive just to be on the list so what would that achieve either. The real downside to the list was how top performers were open to nastiness and abuse - totally unnecessary. I have to confess I've never really looked at it.
  • 13 years ago
    I rarely if ever look at the list of the top commentators but if people can contribute that much to help others that's wonderful but the list has some drawbacks as well. One thing that does irritate me a bit is when some people will not form their solution to a persons dilemma in a paragraph but will make a bunch of comments one right after the other to insure that they make that list. It has become a competition to some to make the list and it just makes threads long and tedious to scroll through when this happens. Anyway it's always nice to be acknowledged for your time spent trying to help people with their dilemmas and the new "thank you" feature was a great idea.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Emily, in the end we sure appreciate this site and all you do. I do not think I would ever have the time to make "top contributor list" and wonder how meaningful it is. I have a couple of thoughts:

    1) A "suggestion box" tab
    2) A "thank you" tab where houzzers might give praise to someone who gave them special help. "I had a dilemma with my dining room furniture arrangement and x was so helpful in not only furniture arrangement, but finalizing with accessories. He stuck with me during the whole project. Thanks, X."
    3) Numbering posts within a particular discussion
  • 13 years ago
    I had a thought shopping in Walmart. How about Thank You , Thank You but not what I had in mind so some comments stop suggesting out of the way things or things already suggested.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    how about, "Discussed and decided. Please read all posts"
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Yes, but include the number of the previous posts, as in "Please read all 2474 posts."
  • 13 years ago
    Wow, I thought this dilemma was all "talked out" several days ago and missed all the hugs and kisses!!!! We do have great people that post on houzz and its been so nice to get to know everyone on a small personal level through our chats. It doesn't really matter to me if there is a top commenter list or not because I'm too busy being "retired" to ever hit #1 on that list ! I do enjoy participating and often keep my comments short.... Not to rack up comment points... But to keep from bogging down an answer. Often, the poster and the commenters just don't have the time or interest to read a lengthy reply. So, I guess we all have our own STYLE when it comes to using houzz and that's a very good thing!.....what did I say about longgggggggggg posts? LOL
  • 13 years ago
    I like that Carolyn, that is the most annoying part when someone comes in way behind and say some of the wall thing that makes no sense especially if the person is already working on making some changes. But on another note. Carolyn-I never seem to get any help from you anymore, what you don't think that I need you. Lol. Maybe I am just too complicated.
  • 13 years ago
    @Angela... I often feel like I'm butting in on someone else's conversation when I view a very long post and its obvious that a few commenters have put in a lot of time and effort to help someone with their design dilemma. To me, this is definitely a time to be more of a spectator..... be polite and respectful !
  • 13 years ago
    Angela, not complicated, a lovely , complex, multifaceted, go getter. That's what you are :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hey, Angela, I didn't think you needed any help! I'm always happy to pitch in if you need me to.
  • 13 years ago
    I did not realize being on the Top Commenters List was something that was especially desirable. (Unless you're pro and would like business advertisement). When my name was on the list I was a little bit embarrassed because I thought it was all about quantity. So I thought I was talking too much or spending waaay to much time on Houzz. Or both! lol
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @Darzy, my thinking was the same and I still have no idea what criteria Top Commenters is based on!
  • 13 years ago
    Darzy- I know that I spend way too much time here and that would be the reason I get top. I think it also has a lot to do with some one like me who is always looking for help. But I always respond when people comment. Thanks mforr and Carolyn, I always need your help even though I have enough help from the gals from OLLDS.
  • 13 years ago
    @ keitha- think it us multitude of things and I agree. If a post has a certain pros helping I do not even respond.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    But sometimes we pros would really love to get other opinions than just our own. That's part of the fun for me, to see what other people think. It's lonely being the only one answering a question.
  • 13 years ago
    Angela, check your bedroom thread :)
  • 13 years ago
    Carolyn, you are right. It is amazing to see what others are thinking and what they come up with as ideas. It might be lonely AT THE TOP but I don't think you will have to worry about being the only commenter..... LOL!
  • 13 years ago
    Carolyn, you're the best and I think that what can someone like me say after you. But that is just me.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Angela...what we usually say after Carolyn is.."Darn, I wish I'd thought of that!"
  • 13 years ago
    Darzy-Or what the heck, she stole that from me, that is exactly what I was going to say. Darn it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hey, I don't think I'm the best at all. I'm just one of many of us who give our time to houzz because we enjoy helping other people with design. Houzz makes us look like stars by providing us an easy way to illustrate what we want to say with their wealth of photos of rooms and of products.

    I very much enjoy speaking up on houzz with my design ideas, and being part of the community of commenters who are always willing and eager to help each other.
  • 13 years ago
    darzy, you mentioned being near the top may help pros get business but i'm wondering if that's the case. someone said last week that david hasn't had a leads despite being at or near the top for so long.
    carolyn, i'd be interested in your take on this.
    has anyone seen recent stats the houzz sales people use to attract secure pro contracts?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I have never gotten a client from houzz, tho I would certainly like to. My business has always been from referrals.
    That may not be the way to become wealthy but I've made a nice living as an interior designer for 33 years. I do know other designers who have posted far more design photos of their work than I have and who have gotten multiple clients. Houzz tells us pros that having more photos will help us, so they know of what they speak.

    It's a good thing that I like giving advice on houzz, because I'm certainly not getting any business from it!
  • 13 years ago
    carolyn, i'm not surprised you've been able to rely on referrals and that speaks volumes about you.
    referrals prove you not only are talented at design, but working with you is a wonderful experience to recommend to friends and family. i always enjoy your posts and you're quick with finding photo examples to support your advice.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you, DIAspoton! I greatly appreciate your kind comments.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Love the "thank you" addition - quick blurb on houzz vs. referrals - I equally get from both - I've got clients that keep coming back to me time and time again - even passing my name onto their kids who now design with me. Houzz has been an exceptional marketing tool - so much so that I haven't had time to post comments or help people as much as I'd like online. That hasn't stopped Houzz followers though, if they want and need my help they can get it - send me a quick blurb, I'll give you a hand with your problem - summer time is normally a very busy time for designers, I post most of my design assistance during the winter months. I love Houzz - and I love my clients equally...
  • 4 years ago

    Thanks for this article. This is a big help for me! Kase, I plan to work at home.

    <a href="https://munuruna.com">اضاءات ذكية </a>


  • 4 years ago

    Goodness, thanks to Hanady's post this just appeared in my inbox. Where have those last 8 years gone!!! In that time, I've renovated a house, sold it and moved to a lovely quiet rural area and renovated another house. Now I just need renovating.


    It was really lovely reading back and remembering all the fun times we had here. Unfortunately when Australia Houzz started up, I lost the US version - Australia has been good, but just not the camarderie we had here, Anyone still around?? I know Armygirl doesn't stand still for long.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    olldroo I greatly appreciate your kind comments.