Software
Houzz Logo Print
shoebunny

Mac compatible computer landscape design software

13 years ago
I'd like to be able to scan a photo of a house and work on hardscape and plant materials from there. Anyone know of a program that's good?

Comments (9)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Thank you. I'll look. Yours is the only response I received. Probably because everyone else is so much more ahead of me, they can't believe there is still anyone else not using the programs. Many, MANY years ago (not MIUCH after computers like the TRS-80 and Commodor 64, I was at a home show where a program such as the one I'm looking for was being demonstrated. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I finally bought my first computer, a MacBook in 2006. After that, I had to retire from teaching so that I would have an opportunity to learn a program for myself. Looking forward to seeing what is recommended. Thanks again.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I use a combination of photoshop and sketchup then layout text in In design. See my website www.RedBerm.com for examples or just view my houzz page.
    shoebunny thanked Red Berm
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks. I'll have a look. The comparisons for Sketch Up and Punch were interesting. Another popped up that has a free download. I don't mind paying for 'better.' When you pop in a photo does it stay as the photo exactly or does it become, I was going to say digitized but it already is. Do you know what I'm trying to say? - so it doesn't look like a photo but as part of the design? Not doing so well with trying to explain myself.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Shoebunny. Are you doing this for work or pleasure. There is a free version of sketchup from google that you can play around with and the free version of photoshop is called photogimp.

    But in answer to your question no program digitizes the photo so that it looks like you want..automatically. You have to wrap the photo on to surfaces then build around it in sketchup and have to overlay in front of it in photoshop.

    It takes many tutorials and alot of practice to use either. If this is just personal fun I would ask a professional to create the photo for you. If you have more questions you can call me. See my houzz page for phone number.
    shoebunny thanked Red Berm
  • 13 years ago
    Wow! You're wonderful! Thank you for the offer.
    I have designed gardens of all sizes for people since I was in my early teens. I eventually did 18 courses to qualify for a Landscape Design Diploma from the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph at the same time as I was teaching elementary school in British Columbia. The courses were simply a piece of cake because of my years of experience and reading, and travelling world-wide. My clients (word of mouth only)) have all trusted me to make the right decisions, but when I have wanted to SHOW them what it will look like all grown up, I have DRAWN and coloured pictures of their homes and the planting materials. The drafting courses helped, of course, but I always wanted to do the plans up on the computer instead. Looks much more professional than MY drawings. I have always been able to 'see' everything fully grown. I've always got a chuckle out of explaining that when they see me staring at the fence, house, or simply the SKY, I am looking for the exact placement of plant material and watching it grow. ;>)
    The best part is now that I'm retired, I no longer have hours of homework and end-of-year reports to do at the same time as everyone wants me to design their gardens! The designing was an escape from schoolwork but the schoolwork didn't go away.
    I expect to be quite a dope with the software. It sounds like 'getting the photo of the house' into the program will be the first of many challenges. Time I HAVE now! Time to figure out what 'wrap the photo on to surfaces', 'build around it', and' overlay in front of it' mean.
    I had almost decided to get 'Punch' because it seemed to have more than the Sketch Up program and was a mere fraction of the cost.
    You are very kind to offer your assistance! I'm excited to get started.
  • 10 years ago

    I am trying to drop my footprint of my home from the architect into a software program for mac that I can do landscaping. Most of the softwares are for windows. I know I can get parallel application software but then I have to purchase or rent windows software. Does anyone have advice on a landscaping software that I can drop the plans into and landscape to scale. The "to scale" issue is important for avoiding mature trees.Thanks

  • 10 years ago

    Anna - I've been researching Punch! Software. It is available for mac and allows you to age the plants to use the appropriate size for what you would actually plant as well as viewing what those plants would look like at their mature size.

    http://www.punchsoftware.com/p-98-landscape-design-for-mac-v175.aspx

  • 8 years ago

    did anyone ever purchase? i am looking for mac LD program and punch has horrible reviews on amazon....any other choice?