daisyincrete

Marechal Niel arbour

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres

This is my Marechal Niel. It has no problems, except it doesn't like the cold, north wind in winter. The south facing side always bears more blooms than the north facing side in spring.

Daisy

• suncoastflowers

Jin, did you drive up to Rose Petals? I definitely regret not getting this one when I was there. I'll make another trip up when I can but some more plants.

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked suncoastflowers
  • suncoastflowers

That's incredible growth! Just lovely. You are quite the temptress Daisy!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Daisy, obviously no one told your rose that it's difficult to grow. Amazing how quickly it shot up and overwhelmed your structure. It's magnificent.

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    Simply stunning! Your whole seating area looks like it's out of a fairy tale!
    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Great help, Daisy. Is yours two plants then?

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Suncoastflowers, I did not go but it grows real well here. I want to get it also but I will wait for a year or 2.

I just confirmed my plan to go overseas next year for summer. So, I need to start saving up :)

Hawaii, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand or Indonesia. Whole family trip :)

After I come back then I can buy trellis/ arbours , roses and what not...

Jin

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • K S

Daisy, your Marechal Niel is my favorite internet superstar rose. :) Thanks for sharing pictures!

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked K S
  • jerijen

Daisy, I'd love to get your whole name, and maybe a little about where you live in Crete, and how long M.N. has been in the ground. I think you can send me a private message?

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked jerijen
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

M.N does great in NE FL. I have him in a tall tree pot but its not huge. He is against a trellis and probably 10ft or so now. He was trimmed just a little this spring. I love his baby yellow coloring. No clashing with the other pastels.

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • catspa_zone9sunset14

Daisy, I believe your MN is grafted. Those lusting after MN should be aware that success with growing MN own-root can be quite hit-or-miss (soil, climate, or ?), and finding a grafted version often recommended. My own-root MN did fine up to a point (several main canes, ~ 9' - 10' tall within 3 years or so) then started "growing backward" with dieback and a steady decline. When I broken-heartedly dug it up, at the end, I found a surprisingly wimpy root system that apparently couldn't support the top it had grown.

Here is a link to a previous discussion, with Dr. Manners weighing in: [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/marechal-niel-in-texas-dsvw-vd~1701382[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/marechal-niel-in-texas-dsvw-vd~1701382)

ETA that this variety and 'Lilac Charm' are my motivations to learn how to graft; I already have a 'Fortuniana' planted in a wild area on my hillside to that end, some day.

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked catspa_zone9sunset14
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I better be careful with my own root MN. No pruning. I'll keep it in a pot over another Winter in my alcove. Then what? I guess I'll see.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres

I have been looking for this photo for ages and have just found it. It was in my downloads and not my pictures for some reason. I was checking to see exactly when I planted it and found an order confirmation in my e-mail history, from Peter Beales for 2 x Marechal Niel dated 22nd January 2010. This photo was taken early May 2012 and I sent it to Peter Beales to show them how well they were doing.

Most of the roses from Peter Beales are grafted. This one is probably grafted onto Laxa.

Daisy

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Two years to that glorious show is truly remarkable. Thanks for that photo.

• boncrow66

I am also lusting for MN but am hesitant to try without it being grafted onto fort. I’m pretty convinced it’s not going to do well for me unless it’s grafted after everything I have read. Daisy yours is amazing and I keep coming back to look at your pics, so glad you posted them!

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked boncrow66
  • Izzy (zone 10)

The only way for me in socal to grow M. Niel and the yellow tea-noisette is by budding on Fortuniana...

or on Ragged Robin...

I learned studying Roseseek's posts and so I am forever grateful that he shared his knowledge on this forum and his blog.

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Izzy (zone 10)
  • Peter Egeto

@daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres Do you really live in Crete? are you there this year?

I spend the season from Spring till Autumn in Rhodes, i'd love to get some cuttings from your Marechal Niel, and i'd try to graft it - i can't buy any more from David Beales since UK brexited...

(i actually could try to order it from Loubert roses or Schultheis rosen but i'm not sure if they propagate this clone.... It surely would grow amazing in Rhodes as well!

Thnaks, Peter, peter.egeto @ gmail .com

• Alana8aSC

I am getting MN, and would love instructions on how to graft it.

• K S 8b Seattle

Hi Peter, just in case Daisy doesn't stop by the forum soon I'll mention here that I believe her Marechal Niel is no longer in existence-- she was looking for something to replace it after its decline. There are places in the EU that sell it, so you won't have to worry about Brexit (a quick google search for "rosier grimpant marechal niel" will turn up some French sources and here is a place that carries in in Germany: https://www.schmid-gartenpflanzen.de/rosen/marechal-niel.html

Good luck!

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)

I don't recall if Daisy said earlier in this thread where she got hers from, which might be helpful information if Peter wants to try and obtain the same clone. But we haven't heard much from Daisy for a long time now, and I think she and her husband were having some health issues (like so many of us, sadly) and this may be in part why she hasn't been posting here.

I miss Daisy very much, and so many others that used to be regulars here, along with their incredible resource of knowledge, and love of older roses. So many seem to have succumbed to ill health and other life issues, or just been driven past the point of no return by Houzz..

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Peter, Daisy said she got hers from Peter Beales (England) in a thread above. Two plants grafted on Laxa which is common in Europe. Good luck!

I agree, Comtesse, we wish Daisy would post more. We all love the experienced one's insights. I love what you are doing with your beautiful home.

• Peter Egeto

Thank you for the infos, friends!

Yes, i've read she got hers from Beales, that's why i tried to reach out for her. :)

My friends have Marechal Niel from other European sources, and those plants are sulking - apparently also might be because of the environment, climate - zone7 in Europe mainland is definitely different from Crete -, but i really wanted to get this particular clone that definitely loves the greek island climate :)

I hope she's alright, i still will try to get one plant from Schultheis or Loubert as soon as i can - but maybe there's a slight chance to get some cuttings :)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I know Peter Beales died but isn't his company still going? His daughter died too sadly.

I googled and see International shipping is suspended for now. Brexit or Covid or both sadly.

• Peter Egeto

@Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR yeap. Only because of Brexit, as they can't ship anything to EU that contains living plant or plant part only with phytosanitary certificate, some additional extra paperwork, the shipment would also park in the customs for while - so nothing from the UK for a while, only if they open an EU warehouse. David Austin might do it but i think its years.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I'm so sorry to hear that. I did not think Brexit sounded wise.

Daisy did say her MNs died.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8

@Peter Egeto, I'd try a European source. I'm in Italy. I have a scraggly 'Marechal Niel'--but still hanging on, still blooming!--from 2004, grafted. My plant came from Walter Branchi, who I believe is no longer active. I checked the site of S'Orrosa, from whom I've never bought, but about whom I'd heard good things, and they had about every Noisette ever hybridized, except the Marechal. Then I looked at Vivaio La Campanella, a long established and very good specialist rose nursery, as I know from experience. Well, they do list 'Marechal Niel', but their site says that they're currently not shipping. You might contact them and see what they have to say. Good luck to you in your search. It is a glorious rose.

• Peter Egeto

@Melissa Northern Italy zone 8 thank you Melissa, yes I like S'Orrosa a lot, I actually have found Marechal Niel already at Loubert in France and Schultheis in Germany, but both are out of stock at the moment. Loubert might have it later as potted, we'll see.

I actually don't know why I make such a fuss about a rise that has a generally bad reputation being a sulker and hard to find anyway when there are so many better varieties of there 😂😂

But you know. I think that particular colour shade and those flowers. I don't think I've ever seen something else that looks like this. ☺️

It's just been there, in the corner of my mind for years and

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

And it smells wonderful! The foliage is beautiful. There is nothing like it.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8

When I was planning on buying 'Marechal Niel' years ago I told a friend, "I'll die if I don't get this rose!" She replied, "You sure die easy."

Well, it's still there on the balcony, hanging on and flowering. The rose chafers adore the blooms, though. I'm a sucker for a lemony yellow flower color.

• Peter Egeto

@Melissa Northern Italy zone 8 do you grow it in a pot? Or it climbs up there?

How does it handle the winter? (Although I'm sure your winters are much milder than here in Hungary but I'm still thinking about trying it here in Hungary, next to the house wall on western side, that's rather a zone 7-8 microclimate)

• DaisyinCrete

I am so sorry Peter. It was over a year ago when I saw a gall/canker forming at the base of the trunk of my beloved Marechal Niel. The bark started lifting and the wood underneath had a purple stain. It started dying very quickly and I took it out.

I will probably try again soon, because it was an easy rose, without any of the usual diseases as well as being a wondrous and beautiful rose.

La Roseraie du Desert list it. They are closing but I believe are still selling their roses until they sell.

La Roseraie du Desert

Hope this helps.

Daisy

P.S. It will love Rhodes, I am not too sure about Hungary though.

• Peter Egeto

@DaisyinCrete thank you very much for the information Daisy. Sometimes it's just sad and you can't do anything 😕

I'll check also Roseraie du Desert, I know they're closing down but a hope to get a plant this year already :)

Yeah Hungary is definitely colder than the Greek islands 😂 although it's sunny and dry and hot in the summer, when it's hot it's often 34-37 Celsius, so only the winter would be a problem. Well, we'll see ☺️

Peter

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8

My 'Marechal Niel' grows on a south-facing balcony in a protected spot. It's been through drought, plenty of snow, gets some frost every winter, and experienced one unusual freeze in which my three Lady Banks roses, in a colder part of the garden, got badly frozen (they all survived) but which left MN undamaged. It came through them all. It's a scraggly creature, and, possibly on account of my near-non-pruning regimen, makes almost no new growth. It also doesn't get fertilized or watered; none of the other roses and plants around it do, and they're happy, so I think its growing conditions are adequate.

• Peter Egeto

I might try it then, next to the wall. The building will keep it a bit warmer during the winter and I'd protect it also, obviously.

I only have lady Hillingdon climber as an older tea which is still young and thriving but I know I can't compare the two as LH clg is a tough and cold hardy one. But all my crapemyrtles have been growing like crazy without winter damage so I think I'll give Marechal Niel a try ☺️

Good luck with it, Peter! I hope you'll keep us posted with how he goes for you. The Marechal does have that reputation of fussiness/sulking in colder zones/ countries, which may have only added to his almost mythical reputation/ desirability! But, if you have that protected spot and are prepared to fuss over him a bit, who knows? Maybe you could even build him his very own greenhouse/ glasshouse/ conservatory!

It does occur to me also, that you might try contacting Peter Beales (the firm, of course, since Mr Beales passed away) and just ask them if they maybe know of anyone in continental Europe/ within the EU/ who has that same clone Daisy would have got from them. They can get passed around, so you never know.

• Peter Egeto

@comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate) ohh That's a great idea, I never thought about it actually! They might know about the other collections and the clones!

Thank you! ☺️

• Patrick-7a-MD

I'm having major rose envy. That has got to be the BEST specimen of MARECHAL NIEL that I've ever seen! If I get to live out my dream of retiring to California then this rose grafted onto Fortuniana is going to be the first rose that I plant. Until then I'll just have to make do with the climbing yellow English Roses.

• MetteBee_Copenhagen8b

My Marechal Niel was plantet last year in my most protected spot up against a south wall and with some bushes for wind break. Not a lot of sun though, but it SURVIVED the unusually cold winter (-12 C for a week). I am so happy to see tiny leaves appear! I am in approximately zone 8a (8b?), Southern Denmark near the sea, so I was optimistic. The cold weather was a bit discouraging, but it seems to do quite well :)

• Peter Egeto

I hope you'll keep us posted about the development ☺️

• Peter Egeto

@Patrick-7a-MD why only English roses? :) There are superb varieties out on the market :)

• bridget helm

I‘ve never seen a rose “trunk” get so fat so quickly and twist around like so quickly —similar to a wisteria. & did she meticulously prune everything off the bottom?

Very unusual looking. Reminds me of a wisteria or purple hyacinth bean vine at the bottom. so strange for a rose. Very whimsical and lovely though. Definitely thumbelina fairytail drool worthy!

I doubt this luscious rose would thrive in hot humid Southern Louisiana :(

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I bet it would, Bridget.

• Peter Egeto

I also think it would :)

• MetteBee_Copenhagen8b

Let me share a photo with you all

See that tiny bud?! There 6-7 of them already. One of my first roses to develop buds this year, the other one is Frühlingsduft, always early. I can't wait to see the flowers unfold in a month or so :)

• Peter Egeto

@MetteBee_Copenhagen8b please keep us posted with the flowering pics also 😊😊

• K S 8b Seattle

Here are some recent blooms from my Marechal Niel grown in a container in Seattle, WA, USA. This rose definitely likes to bloom -- I think that might be its week spot, that it doesn't really go dormant and tries to bloom basically all the time.

• slumgullion in southern OR

MetteBee, wow, you give me hope! I've been planning to try MN on an arbor on the south side of my cement block house, where it will get full sun, little wind, reflected and radiated heat from the wall and also will be watered with the warm condensate from our steam boiler that heats the house. I'm in Zone 8 but we occasionally have a winter that's more like Zone 7...I think (hope?) MN will survive in this location as long as I mulch him thoroughly during the colder winters....

In any case I'm determined to try, and your experience makes me think it may succeed!

• Peter Egeto

K S 8b Seattle wonderful flowers!

I guess this rose will like the climate here in Rhodes Greece 😊

Slumguillon you really should try it that location, it will like it I think 👍🏼😊

• MetteBee_Copenhagen8b

@slumgullion in southern OR you should definitely try it! Mine is in a spot that sounds similar to yours though we get a lot of wind from the west. It doesn't seem to bother the Marechal so far. I protected it with an insulating matt around the bottom during the coldest part of winter. I had some tip damage and probably cut away a foot of growth. But since this rose is quite vigorous there was 4-5 foot of cane left. This is the first winter in my garden, and an unusually cold one.

My take is that just one perfect flower from this rose will be worth all my worries :)

• slumgullion in southern OR

I agree, MN is so gorgeous. I will definitely give him a try....just as soon as I get the arbor built!

I'd love to see photos of your Fruhlingsduft too, Mette, when it blooms, if you're able. It seems like forever since anyone here posted about/pictures of/ any of the Fruhlings- series. I imagine they would all do very well in Denmark.