Software
Houzz Logo Print
myka_1

PleaseI need advice for my kitchen/living room

13 years ago
Hi everybody!!! (As i'm not habitue to write in english, I'll do my best to be understood.)
I really need your help to choosing colors for my futur kitchen/living room. I've tried to think about it since the last month but it resulting that I cannot come to a decision. I never chose any paint color before, and I don't want to regret it. I like every kinds of colors. And In this first appartment of mine, there is a restriction, I don't have the right to put dark colors on the walls and also I have to let the ceiling white. Here is some picture of the appartment, the furniture is not mine, this is just an example of how the place is. My table, my chairs and my buffet that I got from my sister are white. And I did not already bought my sofa or the table for the T.v Ect. I will buy theses furnitures only after finding the final colors for these parts.
Could you help me?
Thank you very very much in advance!!! :)

Comments (9)

  • 13 years ago
    I think you can work with the white walls and ceilings. Maybe put your buffet at the end and paint the table top and interior of buffet a deep grey. Maybe even paint the chairs a bright accent color, like red or yellow. A big vase of flowers on the table and it will be ready for a magazine!
    myka_1 thanked jpowellthomas
  • 13 years ago
    Having been a former military wife who moved at least every 2 years, I can say: Move what furnishings that you do have in first. Choose your sofa and tv console table or storage unit. Live with it for a few weeks. Colors will come to mind. It may help to browse through this Houzz app and create a group of rooms according to the colors that make you feel good. Then go look at paint choices. Narrow it down and buy a small size of the 2 or 3 that you like best. Paint a small area of each color and see how you like it in the morning, in the afternoon and in the evening.. Voila! You know what color you like best.
    P.S. I would say that going with a fairly neutral sturdy sofa that will last and can be slipcovered would be best.. Good luck and happy shopping..
    myka_1 thanked Debra Metz
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Find the layout that works best for you first. As Debra Metz said, place what you do own first and then make the new selections from there; sofas, chairs, area rugs and art. White is not the worst color in the world to work with if you decide that painting the walls is too much of a hassle then work with it. I think all would depend on how long you plan to stay in this apartment. Art and furnishings can become the palette you seek to warm the walls and bring your personality into the space. Have fun!
  • 10 years ago

    Myka will you be putting an area rug on the floor? Area rugs can be a colorful way to start your room. After finding the right style, color, size, price, etc., you could buy neutral furnishings that work well together. Neutral sofa could be anything that says neutral to you- tan, brown, grey, navy, cranberry, you get the idea.

    Curtain panels available at any big box store could be your colorful starting point. You might put colorful panels in the living room and dining room for color and just paint the wall behind the tv to bring color to that side of the room.

    Check out decorating books like - "Seven Layers of Design". Christopher gives lessons in how to plan your decor.

    If you know what store you might buy a sofa or chair from, make a scouting/shopping trip there. See what fabrics are available in the design you like. Take pics of those items. (Could refer to slipcovers for not as new furniture too, :)

    If you buy a rug or carpet remnant ( usually good value), buy one large enough that the sofa or chair can at least have front feet on rug. It will make your space feel grounded or cohesive. A rug should extend 18 inches bigger than a dining table on each side.

    Wall art does not have to be expensive. Cheap picture frames ( possibly white to match dining set) could be filled with colorful patterned fabric or scrapbook papers to add a lot of happiness.

  • 10 years ago

    Myka, here are a couple of room pics. The frames for cheap art can be picked up at the largest of box stores for about $5 each. I have picked them up stained, but you could paint white or black to suit your taste.

    Do a we search for "model apartment" to see more basic decor pics. Remember, taste isn't about how much you spend. Buying at flea markets, tag sales, garage sales may be where you score your best piece for your home. Happy nesting!

    Kathy, MT

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    simple curtain panels, rug, end tables, and pillows here- all could probably be picked up at the same big box store. Lots of happy for the price!

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    Creamy walls are not noticed with just a little decor in place.