Software
Houzz Logo Print
acooper6510

Kitchen Nightmare

8 years ago
I need help! Our kitchen is SO tiny! When we moved into the home the walls, trim and doors were all painted a matte tan color. it was horrible. The kitchen cabinet doors were painted with a dark brown OIL paint with red knobs. I wasnt a fan! so I started to paint the kitchen white to open it up a bit. I had the idea of white and grey but I dont love it, at all. Tried to crackle the doors but they are basic doors with no real design in them. So any and all ideas are welcome. My in-laws will be here Saturday so I am stressed trying to get it done.

Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago
    Excuse the spray running down the dishwasher. I cant get it off and it came with the house. also my 7yr old painted the floor as he was "helping" lol. The tan photos are from before.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Nothing you can do by Saturday.

    Crackle ruined the cabinets. Time to start planning a full gut to the studs remodel. Clean up and move on for now.

  • 8 years ago

    I'd leave it for now and do a good house cleaning. You can explain everything to your in-laws on Saturday.

  • 8 years ago

    I would sand and then repaint the cackle with your white paint. Clear off counters and tidy up. Nice bright bouquet of flowers and a nice meal. Your kitchen will be clean and bright. Less stress, more family fun. I

  • 8 years ago

    truthfully anything that can be done correctly to fix this won't be able to be done by Saturday so don't sweat it. Things done correctly that are going to give you the results you're hoping for can't be rushed. You are going to need to strip down everything you've done and redo it taking the proper prepping and painting steps. Concentrate on giving the space a good cleaning and explain that you're in the middle of a "renovation"

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I agree to stop worrying about the in-laws. Nothing done well can be rushed.

    If this was my space and I had very little budget, I would get some CitriStrip or Soy Stripper and strip the doors. It is possible they are a veneered plywood in which case try to remove the paint with a putty knife without gouging into the veneer. Follow directions. I've never used the soy stripper, but a person here who does a lot of woodwork recommends it as it does not need to be neutralized with mineral spirits as the CitriStrip does. Both are low odor, but messy. Work in a basement or outside if possible. Lightly sand after stripping. Prime with Zinsser BIN or Zinsser 123. The BIN is the best, but I have used the 123 (water clean up) with good results. Then topcoat. In the past I used a latex acrylic enamel (Diamond Vogal NuCling). Now there are some good cabinet paints - they might be better. Just do a simple white or cream that works with the appliances - don't try anything like a crackle or glaze in a small kitchen. Keep it simple and add the charm with decor.

    You can curtain lower cabinets and / or use baskets - just the sink base or more. If you do so, make sure the curtain is easy to move and no pet or child could access anything dangerous.

    For this weekend, just organize the open upper cabinets as nice as possible, perhaps use some baskets and mason jars - hide rarely used stuff in a box in your closet.


    I used some of these ideas in my basement kitchenette

    [https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~65270573[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~65270573):

  • 8 years ago

    It sounds like everyone is in agreement. Clean up the kitchen, tell them of your DIY efforts and how they didn't work in time, and tell them you are FOR SURE saving up for a new kitchen (cabs, flooring, appliances).... And maybe they'll help pitch in. ;-) Don't stress about it at all. Move everyone out into the other room and enjoy eachother's company.

  • 8 years ago

    The crackle is kind of cool -- I see a face in there.

    Relax.

    You started with a kitchen that needed full gut job, which means experimenting with it isn't ruining it.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you everyone. Yes, it needs to be gutted and re-done. After the crackle though I just have to stand the cabinet. The crackle itself didnt ruin the cabinet. I use wood glue mixed with water for the crackle effect. The kitchen is actually clean now. This was taken a week ago. Life has been to busy to get new pics.
  • 8 years ago

    Just sand them down and paint white

  • 8 years ago
    Remove the rest of the cabinet doors, put all dangerous stuff out of the reach of the 7-year-old, clear the counters of excess stuff, and straighten up the interiors of the cabinets. Clean the house. Cook a nice meal. And smile. A fixer-upper is a fixer-upper! The inlaws probably went through this when they were young, too.
  • 8 years ago
    Focus on what you are going to serve your in-laws and then go over what you plan on doing in the future to the kitchen with them and ask them for their input....good luck.....
  • 8 years ago
    I know the in-laws wont mind the house. I PERSONALLY was wanting more to be done was all. Between 6 kids life is chaotic. lol
  • 8 years ago

    I paint a lot of stuff but could never imagine doing it while parenting six kids. Your home must be filled with lots of laughter. Heck of a lot better stress than painting kitchen cabinets! If you do decide to retackle it one day, JHMarie has laid out some good advice (and as usual, some great inspiration pictures too). Enjoy your family's visit.