Software
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

My new dream piece...Arne Vodder sideboard

8 years ago

I dont have it yet, but I took a chance and ordered this from Germany. It is a Triendale style Arne Vodder sideboard made by Siblast, 1959. THey are very expensive, but I think I got a reasonable price for it. I decided that it’s now or never, because they will probably keep going up in price and get harder to find. It is being shipped from Germany and I am so nervous it will be damaged. I really took a chance on this!



Comments (38)

  • 8 years ago

    Wow! That is gorgeous! Congrats! Can't wait to see pics of it in your home with your birds!

  • 8 years ago

    It's beautiful! Fingers crossed it arrives in perfect condition!

  • 8 years ago

    Ooh! What is the door on the right? Drops down? So, shelves for...stereo components? Bar? File drawer?

  • 8 years ago

    A genuine work of art, amazing.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you everyone!!! It’s the most expensive piece of furniture I’ve ever bought so hearing your praises is reassuring!!

    Bpathome it looks like shelves.

    I am thinking I will put this in the long wide hallway of the addition.
  • 8 years ago

    Love it!

    rockybird thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • 8 years ago
    Wow, it’s gorgeous! Can you post a picture of it in your space when it arrives? I’d love to see it :)
    rockybird thanked Marta
  • 8 years ago

    I love it too, but I don't have room for it in my house here. I'll bet the shipping was expensive, but I also think that it is worth more here than what you paid for it from Germany. I've noticed that even in England the prices are lower than here, but in Los Angeles, the prices are extremely high for the original European pieces.

    What will you be storing in it? I have linens (tablecloths & napkins) and liquor in my sideboard. Mine is American and extremely plain, but I didn't pay much for it and would like to replace it at some point. However, it does fit in my small space.

    rockybird thanked Lars
  • 8 years ago

    Congratulations! That is a magnificent piece. It is a lucky sideboard to have found a home where it will shine like yours.

    rockybird thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you everyone!! :)

    Marta - I’ll definitely post a pic!! Lars - I think the shipping must be expensive. I negotiated a price with shipping. The similar Vodder pieces in Europe and England are also very expensive, but everything is negotiable!

    I dont think I will store anything in it. I think of it as an art piece. I’ll display some midcentury items on it though.

  • 8 years ago

    Being the English country house type, I'm looking at this with different eyes. Legs too skinny and out of proportion, one side dark, the other light, with no rhyme or reason, although the two lighter knobs and the light surround create some cohesiveness. Can't decide whether the "decorated" area is really all that decorative. So, it doesn't do a thing for me. However, since you do see its beauty and are so happy with it, I can only say congratulations and I'm happy for you. I can imagine how thrilled you'll be to have this in your home and your life. That's all that's important and it doesn't matter what people like me, who don't understand that aesthetic, think about it. Enjoy!

  • 8 years ago

    LOL@ Ingrid...I appreciate your honesty, however harsh. Look up Arne Vodder and Finn Juhl if you want to see how skinny legs were used in the 40’s and 50’s...which adds to the minimalist design of the piece. The skinny legs actually make this piece more valuable. Here is a similar one...but note the price... (!)

  • 8 years ago

    Please post a picture with Zeke!!

    (I hope I spelled his name right.)

    rockybird thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • 8 years ago

    rockybird, I didn't mean to be harsh, and I freely admit that this is not my style and know nothing about it, which makes me an outsider looking in. The price on 1st dibs made me gasp. Frankly, in my ignorance I like yours better!

    rockybird thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    That's about three times the price of the last sideboard that I designed, but I like it better than mine.

    rockybird thanked Lars
  • 8 years ago

    Ingrid, thanks! your opinion is welcome! I’m glad you like mine better than the more expensive one. :)


    Rita, I will for sure!! His colors will look good on it!


    Lars - Thank you!!!


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Wow, good for you, that is a beautiful piece!

    I'm with Marta, Rita and eld6161 I'd like to see pictures of it set up.

    rockybird thanked woodteam5
  • 8 years ago

    That is one gorgeous piece of furniture.


    rockybird thanked teeda
  • 8 years ago

    I love the drawers! I prefer your Herman Millers, but the drawers on this one are to-die-for gorgeous.

    rockybird thanked bpath
  • 8 years ago

    I can’t wait to see it in your gorgeous home.

    rockybird thanked texanjana
  • 8 years ago
    its perfect. its a beautiful functioning piece of art! I can't wait to see it in your home.
    rockybird thanked Kerry Blossom
  • 8 years ago

    This is perfect for your home - what a find! Fingers crossed the shipping is a non-event. You're very gracious and I know you mean it when you say you appreciate all honest comments however harsh.

    rockybird thanked DLM2000-GW
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you!!! I will definitely post pics...it’ll be centered in a 16 ft. X 8 foot wide hallway in front of the pool, all glass.

    Bpathome - actually my other two credenzas are FInn Juhl licensed reproductions by onecollection. I debated a Herman Miller George Nelson thin edge credenza instead, but I can always buy one of those. :)

  • 8 years ago

    Funny I'm just cruising the forum waiting to go to dinner, after opening this thread I saw the pic and knew ROCKYBIRD. You didn't let me down, beautiful.

    Do I think you are crazy to order and pay LOTS of money to get this from Germany, yes, but isn't it fun!

    rockybird thanked C Marlin
  • 8 years ago

    I think for your home and it's styling, just perfect. It's a Wow piece for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing it in place. Buy the way; are your doors reversible?

    rockybird thanked Laurie Gordon
  • 8 years ago

    Ack! Finn Juhl, I knew that. Just distracted by my dad's Herman Millers in his basement. Not as great colors as your wonderful pieces. I still am drooling over the drawers on this latest acquisition.

    rockybird thanked bpath
  • 8 years ago

    It’s gorgeous. Congrats on acquiring such a great piece.

    rockybird thanked jakabedy
  • 8 years ago

    That will look perfect in your home!!! What a fabulous piece!

    rockybird thanked cat_mom
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you all!! Laurie - yes the doors reverse to teak.


    bpathome - what?? Your dad has HM in the basement? You need to snag those!!!


  • 8 years ago

    That is one GORGEOUS piece of art. Enjoy!!

    rockybird thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Good to see you talked yourself into it. :) Can't wait to see it in your home.

    rockybird thanked gsciencechick
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    That’s a beautiful piece Rockybird. It’s perfect for that gorgeous house of yours! :c)

    rockybird thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    You guys are the best!!! I will be sure to post pics of it!!!

  • 8 years ago

    Congratulations! Perfect for the addition.

  • 8 years ago

    Rockybird, have you received it yet.

  • 6 years ago

    Late to the party. I too have considered purchasing from outside the US. If you see this, I was wondering how it went for you. I’m also a collector and much of the mid century items I like are from across the pond. Hopefully your credenza arrived in good condition.

  • 6 years ago

    emanuel, Sadly, 'rockybird' hasn't posted here for a few years. We all miss her.