ladychroe

Hardy kiwi vine... invasive?

ladychroe

Hi. On a whim, I purchased a hardy kiwi vine which was half-price at HD. I did some research before planting and it turns out that it has escaped yards in New England and has been found taking over certain wooded areas. They are considering banning the plant.

Obviously NJ isn't New England, so has anyone observed these tendencies in a NJ kiwi vine? I don't want to contribute to this kind of a problem.

• Francesco Delvillani

Less than "classic" Kiwi....obviously, it has a strong vegetation, several meters for years, but it can be pruned easily

• jurasico

I don't know about Hardy Kiwi, but for a few years, in NJ/Zone 7A, I was growing Actinidia chinensis (the supermarket kiwi), and had to eradicate it as it was taking over my neighbor's property! I didn't even expect it to be hardy, IT IS! Gorgeous plant though, so I bought new ones (male and female of course), and have them in hanging baskets until I decide what to do with them.

DC Metro's Top Kitchen and Bath Remodeler