Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evierh

OLLD 6/24

evierh
10 years ago
I'll start with an apology, in case someone's started a new discussion & I just don't see it on the list .. again!

Comments (277)

• Anna Cabo
    10 years ago
    My Internet is acting up, so ill have to say good nite !! Looking forward to tomorrow s subjects !!!
  • PRO
    Linda
    10 years ago
    Olldcan - that butcherblock could always find a new home in my kitchen...it looks great...no way to cutting it

How deep are the cuts you are trying to remove? When we sand floors, we start at 24 grit, then go to 36, 60 and 100 with the sander and then go to the sanding screen on the buffer. Depending on how much character you want to keep, I would start with 60 or 80 on a belt sander or palm sander, then go to 120, then maybe 220. Be warned, the oil in that block will gum up your finer sandpaper incredibly quickly. I know it looks horrible to put the scratches in with the really course sandpaper but if you want to get through some of the surface damage, you need to remove more material than you'll get with the finer paper.

Hard maple weighs around 45 lbs per cubic foot so your table top probably weighs around 300 lbs or a bit more
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Here's some pics R took of the sky during the Super Moon, about 8 pm. He said the moon and the clouds turned the whole backyard yellow!
  • PRO
    Linda
    10 years ago
    Old skateboards are great for moving heavy objects. We once moved a 600 pound radiator on a skateboard
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Good night guys, cannot take this anymore.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Linda! Watch your step! I already have first dibbs on that butcher block! hehehe
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Not sure robin, maybe some kind of azek or trex board? Wouldn't like any kind of pressure treated wood, some kind if non corrosive material like plastic would last longer and maybe leech less chemical crap into the soil
  • olldcan
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    bobbi, that pastor style butcher block with the waterfall edge is so nice.

stk, the legs on the right would suite me just fine if I decide to use it as a butcher block. I was checking out the holes for the legs and there is some glue residue inside. I agree the legs must be set inside the holes, no joke the beast is 500lbs.

ez the pieces are about 1.5" square. they must be glued and somehow put together, maybe there's threaded rods behind those wood plugs. The block was recovered from a restaurants kitchen so im assuming it was used for the purpose intended. Unfortunately the legs hit the dumpster.

Michele,I like the idea of castors as well just cause it seriously heavy. Just need to decide how I'm going to use it.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Olldcan, well, if you can't decide.....hehehe
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Lordy, she's drooling again, lol :)
    Olldbobbi, no butcher blocks until the Venetian plaster is done!!
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    @bobbi - we are two peas in different pods. Admit it... You never stop either :)

The beds will be apx 16" high. I'm thinking outdoor plywood wrapped both edges and side that will be exposed to the bed in aluminum roll flashing (the kind they use for roofing). Then it's sturdy enough to hold the dirt in without buckling but won't rot at the same speed as non wrapped wood.
  • olldcan
    10 years ago
    judyg, mp, retirement..... hahahaha we are seriously short staffed. Hubby had a few days off in March. None in April or May and just one day so far in June. I'm there more than i'd like and the "cabin" at the lake that we definately weren't going to build this year, is now going full steam ahead. The lot is getting excavated and the basement dug within the next 3 weeks. Sooooooo not only do I have no time, the plans that I tossed into the closet last fall have reared there ugly head and have demanded every sane bit of attention I have left. Quite honestly, I'm pooped. All this decision making when i'm just friggen tired is annoying. My youngest has his very first girlfriend....... lord help me again. He has also graduated high school, yippee!!!!!!! Some ABC-hole has committed fraud on my elderly Mother. Pulling bank records for the last three months just made me sick to my stomach. Almost every day, anywhere between 25-100 dollars is going out and sometimes up to 5...yes 5 times a day her acct. has been debited. When Dad was alive, he took care of all banking, Mom never had to balance a chequebook in her life. Now, I get to deal with this mess. Needed a break from houzz too.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Robin, you're right. Sigh.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Oh, EZ, sorry! My experimental crockpot chicken soup turned out to be more like a stew, but it was edible! Thanks for asking!
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    Sorry to hear Candice. I hope it wasn't someone you knew.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Bobbi. Bobbi- I love saying that, have a good night.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Olldcan, I'm so sorry about your Mom's bank account. I hate it when people prey on us seniors.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    And a goodnight to all! Only six months til Christmas, ya know....
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Robin- I ordered mine from Amazon, ready made and it has held up quite well. Wish I could help you.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    5 months to my daughters bday and she is already asking for gifts.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Hi Candice, nice to meet you and I do know s thing or two about disappearance.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Why are people so incredibly disgusting and evil, so often? That is terrible olldcan, turns my stomach. I hope you can salvage some of the lost funds and exact some revenge or justice. Justice is correct, but revenge is so much sweeter. :(
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    No worries Angela. I'm just wondering if anyone has better ideas than mine. I've stewed over this for a week now - gone so far as to spend 2 hours wandering around Home Depot trying to come up with ideas. I think that's the way I'll go.

Now, the blasted weather needs to start cooperating!!!
  • olldcan
    10 years ago
    There is 3 different companies doing this, probably the same person though. Two of the companies are foreign and the other one within Canada but a different province. Not like any of that really matters.it does appear like someone somewhere along the line got a personal cheque from her. Cheques have cleared signed, or not. made payable to someone or not., endorsed or not, yadayadayada. Oh her bank mgr. don't like me too much lately.

Etzia, xoxoxox thank-you :)

Angela, nice to meet you too. I had to pass on houzz for a bit. Hoping to be more regular (omg that sounds like some kind of bran cereal commercial)

Michele, oh yes I'd love to open a can of whoop axx on them. We were told to kiss the funds good bye. I seriously think the trouble started when Dads Obituary was posted in the paper. I'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around. They'll get what coming.
  • PRO
    Linda
    10 years ago
    Robin - remember the downside of wrapping wood with aluminum - if the water does get in, the wood will rot faster because if doesn't get any opportunity to dry out. I would suggest that you have at least an inch of space between your planter box and the fence boards so your fence won't have water issues.

If you want durability, how about some Trex decking or maybe cement board siding? Those are expensive materials but sometimes you find them on the discontinued or damaged products. Another idea would be a piece of old solid surface or granite remnants of countertops --not that those ideas are going to be something you find tomorrow, but if you should happen to see the material somewhere and wonder what you could do with it, snag it for next summer's projects.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Robin -- sorry I missed out on the fence post spiking, I was on the golf course getting my ass kicked.
    Candace -- nice to meet you!
    Everyone -- hope you had a great day!

I'm off to bed. I have to be up at 5:30 am to be at the course for a 7am tournament breakfast and an 8am tee time. Ugh.
  • PRO
    Linda
    10 years ago
    What fun is golf if you have to get up at 5:30? I like having fun without needing an alarm clock!
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Yeah, early morning golf isn't my favorite thing. It's "visiting day" when ladies from another club come and we host them for a round. Trouble is, we have a young membership and so many of the ladies still work, and since it looks really bad to invite another club to come play and nobody from our club is there... I got roped into showing up for it -- since I'm self-employed and can take the morning off for it.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Oh crap. I just realized I need gas. Guess I'll have to leave even earlier than I planned on.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    fell asleep on the couch! had a dream and astraea you were in it! And bobbi too, but i could never see her face really! i have the weirdest dreams!

olldcan, sorry about your mum....and it sounds like you have been super duper overloaded!

judyg, have you started a fight yet? hahaha
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    now it's almost midnight, i guess i'll get on the bed now. nitey nite!
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    Kimdee - I'd come out but I am absolutely horrendous at golf. Well, and I'm not a member at your club. Have fun tomorrow!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Hi all that are still awake, can't say GOOD morning, afternoon, etc as it certainly aint!!! OMG it has taken me so long to read this with my head in my hand my hand has gone to sleep and I can't type properly!!!

Well we all have a HUGE dose of cabin fever here - if this rain doesn't stop soon!!!! Kids have been angels till now and they are fighting like mad and the adults are catching it. At the moment they are walking the house with some $2 shop Aussie flags and singing Advance Australia Fair at the top of their voices. All my clean doors and windows look like Rocky, Dali and every other dog on here has snotted all over them and don't even ask what happened to the floors I cleaned yesterday. It is so cold I'm almost wishing for snow - at least we could all go play in that - even belt each other with it.
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    10 years ago
    Candace, we just went through that exercise with my MIL last year......between March -June, we accounted for over $6K in checks she wrote out to everybody and his/her brother....Postal scams. Contest, charity groups that weren't charity groups, psychics, fortune tellers, cash awards (we have a check for you for $1M, but you need to send processing fees of $250 via a gift card, etc.,etc..)........she was getting a 6-8" stack of mail everyday with all this crap. When we found out, my wife took over her finances and we started working with the local Postal Inspector who was part of the Federal Task Force tracking these A holes......Never saw any of the money back, but we created a data base for the investigator with names of individuals and organizations, copies of canceled checks front and back, the countries of origin and the countries and banks used to route the checks.....many checks were passed from one company to another, sometimes 3 before they were deposited and processed.........I would say 95% of them were overseas (Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Canada, off shore Islands)..............hell we still get a least 3-6 pieces of scam mail per day still from some of these A holes.....the data base that we turned over had over 350 identified organization, 120 names, and most of those were connected some how.........especially the psychics......
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Robin - as yours was the latest dilemma and the only one I remember - can you get treated pine sleepers over there? They are used a lot here for raised gardens and we used them as an underground retaining wall to stop the neighbour's invasive plant taking over our garden. They last forever and don't have arsenic in them anymore. Tried to google for a photo and would you believe Houzz photos came up!!!

[houzz=
    E 18th Ave · More Info
    ]
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Sleep tight all.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    I am done working, now I bet everyone is in bed! Boo!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    No, I'm still here - only 4.30pm (Tuesday), but Miss 7 has gone to swim squad so I have The Little Bloke to amuse. Luckily he just loves the iPad - knows more about it than I do. It was so funny this morning listening to them talking sites dot com - totally normal language these days.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Hi Roo...Did u get outdoors with the grandjoeys yet? Hope so for your sanity!! I am sure u have heard me carrying on about the speed demons on our road...While I was at work tonight, my hubby glued 3 large balls to the road..in the middle...traffic has been slowed considerably. Tonight I sat for some time with an elderly confused patient, feeding him scrambled eggs and caressing his arm/hands...then he turned on me...yowza! Poor fellow ..couldn't help it...delirium...well he got fed and cared for and was safe on my watch anyhow. Oh yeah, and his blood pressure tanked, and I fluid bolused him by i.v. and he recovered..so all was well.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    No Jayme, the rain is barely letting up and when it does everything is like a swamp. I worried I might have jinxed us when I bought Miss 7 the bike - at this rate she will never get to ride it.

Like the tennis balls but the trouble is he could be charged with obstructing traffic, no matter how good his intentions. We used to have some hoons like that, that charged around about 11 pm each night, all hanging out the windows, playing loud music and yelling as well. One night I hid in a bush and got one of their licence plate numbers (the other didn't have lights on) and rang the Police. They said they had had a lot of complaints and were trying to trace them. I felt the huge hug over the phone when I gave them the licence plate number and that was the last night they ever did it. I figured one would rat on the other anyway, but as it turned out the cops went straight to the guy's home and the whole lot of them were there.

Hard dealing with the elderly, my mum got very nasty the worse her dementia got and took everything out on me. She would spit her food at me and everything. The nursing home used to throw me out, they felt sorry for me, but I was used to her.

Time to think about dinner.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Yes, I know he shouldn't have done so...but screw em...there was a traffic fatality a few blocks from our home approx. 2 weeks ago. Just a week prior to that fatality, I had called the the police dept. and the road dept head, in re: speeding traffic in our residential area...greatly increased due to, IMO...road construction detours through our neighborhood...the fatality was on the street that runs directly and immediately to the South of our elementary school...the fatality was a 21 y/o male in a car, sideswiped in a so-called 25 MPH zone...15 MPH when children present. So what snowball's chance in hell does a child on a bike or walking have? Since the fatality, they added a stop zone at least. Why did a fatality have to occur to get a stop sign? I am fed up. When I spoke with the road dept head, she was downplaying my concerns..My words to her were, "I am attempting to help avoid a tragedy". All this before the fatal accident.... and the now in place, signs.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Roo..sorry about your Mum..that was an awful thing for u to deal with. So very difficult...Make a yummy supper!! As I am sure u noticed...I am fired up about this...so many people r speeding, it's impossible to get all the plates...this detour has very highly and negatively affected our neighborhood...wrongfully..there were more appropriate streets to have detoured the traffic onto vs. those in smaller areas with elementary schools...as they shut down a very major thoroughfare and detoured it thru a residential area. It reminds me of what STK mentioned...stupid and lazy.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Great idea about gluing the balls in the street Jayme! As long as no one saw him doing it, it sounds like a good solution! Will keep that one in mind! You are right. There needs to be a fatality before they will do anything. Down the corner of our road, we need a traffic light. Doctors offices, hospital and school all in the same area. Nope.City won't do it. Dr.'s office offered to pay for the light! Nope, won't do it. Will be all the more worse when a new high school goes in in a year...
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    If you watch Modern Family, remember the episode where Julie goes after the gorgeous lady in the Corvette that speeds down her street?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Ridiculous bureacracy, shame on them!!!
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    @judyg...No haven't! All our neighbors were applauding it...the balls r gone today, but we may have to unite with the neighbors and get something done...
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Jayme - call the Police and discuss it with them. Our local boys are really good at listening to issues like this and when one car can sit discretely and book a heap in one swoop, they meet their revenue quotas (that they don't have) and are very happy. Failing that, do you have a local newspaper? Get them involved, they are usually always looking out for news, especially issues that put egg on bureaucrat's faces.
  • evierh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm just here for an "attaboy", for catching up on the rest of yesterday's posts .. just since the evening! Now I can get started on today's conversation:)
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    @roo...My next step was to go in personally to the police station...then follow up with a letter for my records...I would like to ask them their thoughts of the need for more signs, etc...then I would like to take that to the woman who heads the street dept. Once I do that, I would also follow up with something in writing.....If no results after that..I am open to blasting them with the media...we do have a "whistle blower hotline"! Thanks for the suggestions....I have found that in person visits, followed up by documentation gets more results.
    -Your Grandjoey is gonna have such a wonderful Birthday, u r such a good Gramma!!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Whistleblower hotlines in newpapers are the best!!! They really achieve.

I'm not a Gramma - I'm a Nanna, and way too indulgent!!! But as I say to DD, if they were here, they would be getting little treats every week so one big indulgence a year is probably cheaper in the long run. Stopped at some shops today and bought Miss 7 the most gorgeous skirt, t-shirt and jacket. Skirt is black with white uneven spots and a pinky/orange trim. Top is in the pinky/orange with frills for sleeves, and a 3D bunch of flowers in a deeper orange, white and the skirt fabric. Can't believe this is June and the shop was filled with all summer clothes!! At least she will get to wear them when she gets back home. Also got her a lovely little black faux fur jacket for cooler days and through to Christmas.