Software
Houzz Logo Print
kq346

Shutter Color

8 years ago
Any suggestions for shutter color? I'm not thrilled with the brown.

Comments (32)

  • 8 years ago
    I am not a pro whatsoever, but most people will tell you to totally remove the shutters
  • 8 years ago
    Have you considered removing the shutters? They are the wrong size, and shape, on the two larger windows .
  • 8 years ago

    Another vote for removing the shutters altogether, they are the wrong size and are mounted too far from the windows.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Better yet.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    This is SW Walnut Brown on shutters next to current color.
    kq346 thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You could remove the ones on the large window in front and keep the ones that look like they might close over the window and be more authentic. Just depends on how they are currently attached and how much of a problem would be left if you remove the shutters. Anchor holes, etc.

  • 8 years ago

    I don't think the board-and-batten style shutters are authentically consistent with the home's style so I would suggest having them removed.

  • 8 years ago

    If I remember right the current co,or is SW espressso. I've had people suggest black and a mossy green. It seems like you all are saying to go darker rather then lighter. Thanks

  • 8 years ago
    I love the shutters! I really like Dark Navy blue with brick. I think if you pick the right tone, it will bring the grey tones out in the lighter color stone. Or maybe find a way to play your front door into the mix a bit? Keep the shutters neutral then do flower boxes under the windows in that light blue color? Idk. If you hate it, it’s just paint.
    kq346 thanked Alycia McCain
  • 8 years ago
    Darker brown all the way if you keep them!
    kq346 thanked Nicole R Dsp
  • 8 years ago
    Take down the shutters to paint them. Then, look at your house without shutters. If you miss them, get larger shutters, wide enough to cover the window. Go for natural wood where you can see the grain, or paint them the same color as the trim.
  • 8 years ago
    Wider shutters are needed. If window trim and shutters are the same colour, you’ll achieve a more cohesive look.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I agree, removing the current shutters would be the best enhancement for your home. Here is a brief article showing examples of properly sized shutters and improperly sized 'shudders'. Our eyes & brain do notice the difference even if we don't recognize what is 'wrong' about the sizing and placement.

    Shutters vs Shudders

    kq346 thanked Denita
  • 8 years ago
    I would paint them the same color as the trim of the house and make sure they are the right size for the house . Or paint the trim anew in a lighter color beige ...or white .Shutters are great if you use them in a storm or at night when you need to keep the warm air in . They protect my windows in a heavy rain/snow/storm ....I like them . And they add appeal to your house ...the one on the left looks too small ..perhaps add to it or get new ones ...?
  • 8 years ago
    Take them down and live without them for a few weeks. You won’t miss them.
    Then consider brightening up your front door color to welcome everyone to your “new home”.
    The lines of your house are beautiful. The shutters are distracting. (And don’t fit properly, as several folks have pointed out already....)
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Remove them they are the wrong size for sure and do not belong on multiple windows at all. IMO the exterior is already busy and they just add too much .One thing would be a nice walkway to the front door from the street and some added landscaping.

  • 8 years ago

    Arched shutters call for arched windows, but I still think your house looks nice with those shutters. What about the same color as the trim around your door?

  • 8 years ago

    Anyone know how hard they are to remove? Or if there is repair work afterwards

  • 8 years ago

    I would go for a cadet blue on the shutters.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Omg yes please remove. Everything is wrong about them. Your house is so cute and they are so...not.

  • 8 years ago

    Agree the shutters are too small on the larger windows. The right size would be quite wide and look odd. However, if you keep them, I would use a warm shade, such the Walnut Brown from Flo. Your house reads warm to me due to the brick, stone and roof colors. A cool shade on the shutters might clash.

  • 8 years ago
    Try a mix of red and white: bright and pleasing to the eye.
  • 8 years ago

    I see holes where they are screwed into the mortar. I would think you could just unscrew them with the right driver. Mine are just screwed into the mortar in between the stone. You will probably just need to fill the holes.

    kq346 thanked Robby
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks everyone...I will post pictures without the shutters so you can help me decide for sure!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Here is the house without the shutters. Too bad the existing shutters are so very undersized.

  • 8 years ago

    Beverly, thank you! I really do like it without shutters. I have read the information on the correct sizing etc. beforre. I knew the size was off, . All the houses in our subdivisons have the same issue, I need to say something to our builder.

  • 8 years ago

    So now that you have seen the house with and without shutters...what do you think? Take them off or paint them?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Love without, but I am in the "don't do shutters if they aren't authentic camp" so I think the house actually looks bigger! Just make sure you seal any holes where screws etc might have penetrated your stone or brick or mortar. Great!

  • 8 years ago

    Oh wow...so nice!

  • 8 years ago
    Doesn’t look bad without shutters. I think it’ll look even better if you darken the window frames to give them a stronger appearance. The shutters were highlighting the windows, now you can darken the window frames to do that.
  • 8 years ago
    Not necessary though