Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmother

Pattern sofas, chairs etc out of style?

Love stone homes
5 years ago

Hello, I am wondering if ulphostered furniture with patterns are out of style. All I see are solid fabrics, in typically grayish colour. I am planning to buy new couch and chairs, and prefer something with a pattern. Would I be amiss in choosing either the couch or chairs with a pattern? Here is an example of what I am thinking.

Comments (18)

• cawaps
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't think you ever really go amiss choosing something you like (ETA: as long as it is part of a thoughtful, holistic design). From your inspiration pic, your taste runs more traditional, while we seem to be in the midst of a mid-century modern revival. So a lot of what you see at West Elm and Crate and Barrel and the like is in that style. The current zeitgeist also seems to be driving people toward "safe", conservative choices of neutral colors for walls and large furniture pieces (solids for furniture). I'm not saying you should let that drive your choices, but it definitely seems to be the current style.

There has definitely been a shift away from custom upholstery to furniture with a limited number of upholstery options, and you're right, they run from cream to greige to beige to gray. I don't find them very inspiring. There are still places that do custom upholstery (I shopped for a chair last week and had 800 upholstery options). It's just that you (a) have to seek out the places that offer it, and (b) pay a premium for it.

You might be interested in this thread; it discusses the current preference for neutrals, but also ranges into product availability, custom upholstery, people's motivations for making "safe" choices, and more.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5294301/so-so-tired-of-neutral-rooms?n=180

Love stone homes thanked cawaps
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

Pattern IS in style(and never really went out of style..it can be more "in style" in such and such style X, and less so in style Y..but there's always place for a pattern. You'll never go amiss if you choose something you truly love. you'll just most likely to pay more if to buy new))) Or you're be somewhat limited in colors/patterns. Say you're less likely to find color scheme plus pattern you show unless you go vintage-or make custom. But you'll find others-or you can find smth with option of customizing (again, upgrade in terms of money)

Choose good lines..then it'll work, pattern or not

" It's just that you (a) have to seek out the places that offer it, and (b) pay a premium for it."-yeah..cawaps said it in a more concise way..))

Off the top of my head..Ballard Designs carry both traditional lines and plenty of upholstery options..Anthropologie has variety of styles but they'll have a tad quirky if patterned...still worth to check out..look at Horshow.com(will be twice as much..but I love some of their patterns..)..I'll think of more sources..

Love stone homes thanked aprilneverends
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

Most of the furniture orders we get for sofas and lounge chairs have solid fabric on them, or else an extremely subtle pattern, like a texture, to the fabric. We do a lot with silk velvets, and the nap and sheen of the fabric are enough without patterns. We do a few dining chairs with patterned fabric, but not sofas. Occasionally a client will put a patterned fabric on some lounge chairs to go with sofas that are upholstered in solid fabric. I do not see patterned fabric on both sofas and lounge chairs that are being used together, however.

It depends on the look you want. It you want something casual, then patterned fabric will be fine. The bold patterns that you used to see from Scalamandré have become toned down, but they are still available. Most of the fabrics that we sell are either solid or have extremely subtle patterns. We do a lot of upholstery with COM from other textile companies, but still most of that fabric is solid.

Love stone homes thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

I have several different slipcovers for my two Lee Industries sofas from Crate Y Barrel, one of which is a blowsy red floral which I love. Previously I had a sofa with a mostly dark green tapestry pattern; I learned from my mother that patterns are very forgiving with families and not always careful visitors. I loved that sofa and still have it in storage, waiting for a talented but inexpensive slipcover artist to fall from the sky : ) .

Patterned sofas seem to have never gone out of style in the UK. Then again, the British seem much less fussy about pattern- and color-mixing than North Americans do...

Love stone homes thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • deegw
    5 years ago

I have a dog and a messy husband so I love how patterned furniture can disguise spills and messes until I can clean them up.

I had an expensive, heavily patterned sofa for 12 years. Loved it for the first 8 or so, tolerated it for the last few.

Now, like Lars mentioned, my main furniture has subtle patterns that read solid. My side chairs have a strong pattern but they are easy to move to another room or send to the consignment shop if I get tired of the look.

Love stone homes thanked deegw
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

If by "patterned" one means the tapestry-look that was popular in the 90's, then no, it's not in style today. I think most people are buying sofas with few options and those are typically plain fabrics. Those who want pattern, tend to do more expensive sofas/chairs that are available with COM (customer's own material) and may use a print/stripe/geometric pattern out of an expensive to-the-trade fabric.

Love stone homes thanked Anglophilia
  • erinsean
    5 years ago

When my boys were young I bought a patterned sofa....all over yellow flowers and green leaves with a white background.....Loved that thing, was so bright and comfy. Just the other day (45 years later) we were looking at photos and saw a picture of that sofa. I thought to myself "did I really like that?" lol

Love stone homes thanked erinsean
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

Here are some photos from our warehouse today:

These two lounge chairs are for the same client as the white sofa and white chairs behind. She is known for using a lot of white (note the white posts on the lounge chairs), but she added some blue and white fabric on these chairs.

These lounge chairs have a contrasting color for the pillow, for a different client. The only patterned fabric I found was on some barstools.
    We still use a lot of beige fabric.

Love stone homes thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

I became so interested in what's out there I checked Anthropologie..the products that lean a bit traditional..more classic

That's what I happenned to like..taking your example as a jump point..but you can type in "Patterned seating" and see many more. It's a hit or miss with them, and upholstery should be tried anyway..but reviews if there help a lot

I quite like both

they also have similar shape to what you've posted-long skirt..the arms are not rolled though..but in black and white.

check their collection out https://www.anthropologie.com/furniture-printed-sofas-chairs

I myself like this pattern..(but it's different..lines mote modern, print, more tribal)

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/rosa-print-linde-three-cushion-sofa?category=furniture-printed-sofas-chairs&color=105

this is fun and has many good reviews..but one has to love it, like, dearly. I would have no problem..)) as long as I'm ok there both sitting and lying down..

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/pied-a-terre-sofa-judarn?category=furniture-printed-sofas-chairs&color=095

can't go past Strawberry Thief of course..))

(the fabric is by Liberty..they hae a collaboration lately)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I had chosen a couch which unfortunately could not be gotten through the doorway, and in a hurry I had to find another one from the same company. The only one I liked was this patterned one which I was told hadn't been put in their catalog or on-line for at least 15 years. Do I care? Noooo. I did accessorize with yellow pillows to give it a more modern punch, and it's in my office and not in the living room. With a more muted pattern as you've shown you could also punch it up with more colorful pillows and choose chairs that don't have a skirt in a solid color, and use it in the living room. It really reads almost as a neutral. My living room furniture is all a solid color, although with a self pattern, with the chairs different from the couch and love seat, but the rugs, paintings, Chinese porcelain and pillows have so many different colors and patterns that you need neutrals to ground them. I look for inspiration in many places, but only go for the things I really love, whether fashionable or not at the moment. The most important thing about a home is the personality you infuse into it, and not what's trendy or "in" at any particular time.

Love stone homes thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • pricklypearcactus
    5 years ago

Agree with the general sentiment that the sofa you've pictured is of a traditional style, both in pattern and shape. That is not necessarily the current trend, but that also doesn't invalidate it as a style. I do think many people are purchasing less patterned sofas in general, but that could be a factor of fear (of making an expensive purchase that won't be in style for long) or a factor of availability / cost. Personally I like patterned chairs and even patterned duvet covers, but I generally find pattern on sofas overwhelming.

I have these Anthropologie patterned arm chairs that I absolutely adore. The pattern is more contemporary but it's undeniably a pattern not a texture.

I do generally pair them with a solid sofas rather than trying to put them next to yet another pattern.

Love stone homes thanked pricklypearcactus
  • nosoccermom
    5 years ago

Who makes Anthropology furniture, and how's the quality?

Love stone homes thanked nosoccermom
  • shari13
    5 years ago

I have a very old patterned sofa in near perfect shape (which is why I still have it) but am beyond tired of looking at it and I think its out of style. . .

Love stone homes thanked shari13
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

nosoccermom that's the thing. the furniture is by different makers.which allows them to have so many styles)

thus the quality will vary. it can be cheap or can be great.

quality might be less important in a small side table. very important in a sofa.

they started opening more stores now where they have big design centers..because they grew tremendously lately, with their furniture selection and brands they work with..so it's always great idea to find such center and try it

even if something is great quality-doesn't mean it'd be a good fit. Some pieces will dwarf me, some will be uncomfortable, some are for people who like sitting straight, some are for lounging..regular stuff.

it's true that one can order something, sit on it, immediately send it back if he doesn't like it. But I'd prefer sitting on it first still...)) If possible..

• usedtobergps
    5 years ago

As long as there are grandkids and dogs and dirt I’ll stick with pattern. Even tho my upholstery guy must have been on crack ( note the pattern sideways on backs) I’m glad I went with wild and crazy on my 1930s couch. One must keep ones sense of humor above all

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I like the sideways pattern. It give is that certain panache.

• My House
    5 years ago

If the pattern speaks to you, then get it t. Make certain that you love it, as it will stand until you reupholster or buy new. We love our Ikat chairs in our front (living & dining) room, as they set theme of the house. However, the sofa is a solid white.