Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delilasam123

Need advice about attic condensation

delilasam123
5 years ago

Hello houzz friends, I'll try to make this as brief as I can. About a year and a half ago I purchased my home (60 yr. old 2 bedroom ranch) and have been battling with leaks and high indoor humidity from almost day one. I moved in during the winter and didn't really notice any issues but when spring came it all started. First the bathroom light fixture leaked when it would rain hard so I had a contractor repair the issue on the roof and replaced fixture with an exhaust fan/light combo. Problem wasn't resolved so I went into the attic with a can of Flex Seal, found the drip and sealed it- hasn't leaked since. I then discovered that the toilet was leaking at the base and had to have the subfloor, toilet, and flooring replaced. Then this winter during a particularly cold snap (I live in PA) I noticed a dripping sound coming from the attic. When I went up I was horrified to see frost in spots and it looked like it was "raining" up there. I called my contractor asap and decided to replace the roof with a metal one (the roof was already an issue I was planning on taking care of in the spring anyway). I didn't see any evidence of frost or dripping since then but I feel the problem isn't resolved as I've since learned that inadequate insulation can lead to condensation due to the heat coming up through and mixing with the cold air. I know I don't have enough insulation and what is there isn't in the best shape. My question is who do I call to have this done? Is this an expensive project? Are there other factors I need to consider? I feel that the existing insulation should be removed since it's older than dirt and has gotten wet, but I REALLY don't want to do that myself in case I would run into mold or something. I've read that installing blanket insulation is a fairly easy DIY project and would be ok trying that myself when the old stuff is gone if I would need to. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (5)

• User
    5 years ago

Yes, that’s completely inadequate insulation. Call a local Energy Rater yo assess the overall air tightness and insulation level in the home. Air sealing is just as important as insulation.

Also contact your local electric utility for information about any rebates or assistance programs that are available for tetrofitting the home. They often have programs in place, and an approved list of contractors.

Be sure to do your due diligence on any contractor that you hire. You want only licensed and insured people working on your home, Mr. Roof Guy doesn’t sound like the pick of the litter to me.

delilasam123 thanked User
  • mike_home
    5 years ago

You need to replace all the insulation in the attic. The old insulation needs to be removed. You should also remove the floor boards that are on top of joists so insulation can be added. You can put them back when the insulation is in place.

You can hire an insulation company to do the work. Insulation choices are blown in, fiberglass batts, or spray foam. You could install the fiberglass batts yourself. I recommend R-38 kraft faced batts and seal penetrations first before installing the insulation.

If spray foam if applied correctly it will seal and insulate. You need to hire a professional to do it and it is a lot more money. The blown in type can be done by yourself with rent equipment or by a professional. In either case a moisture barrier needs to go down first. All the moisture in your house is going into the attic and condensing in the winter. A moisture barrier will help reduce this.

This other problem I think you have is lack of ventilation. Did the roofer install a ridge vent when the roof was replaced? I see a small gable vent. Is there another at the other end? It looks too small. Are there any soffitt vents? You need adequate ventilation otherwise you will continue to have moisture problems in the winter.

delilasam123 thanked mike_home
  • ionized_gw
    5 years ago

Sad that the inspector did not catch the water damage evidence if you had it inspected. I will largely reinforce what others have already stated. Hire an energy rater to guide you towards the right fix for the problems and the low hanging fruit for saving utility cost. Check to see if there are state or local programs that will pay all or part of it. Raters can be found at BPI or RESNET.

There are two sides to the attic moisture problem, moisture in from the living space and moisture out via venting. Venting needs to be improved. If there are soffit vents, judging from the pics, they are blocked by insulation. Moisture in comes form air leaks and compromised or inadequate moisture barrier. If you are going to stick with glass bats or go with loose fill, you need to air seal because it does not stope air flow. Don't forget the attic stair opening. That can be sealed up inexpensively with a box that you set above the opening or you can buy a zipper bag.

delilasam123 thanked ionized_gw
  • delilasam123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So much good information, thank you!

• PRO
    Hess Custom Homes
    5 years ago

Agree with everyone here. Look for a great insulation company, get old insulation removed, add baffles at the soffits/ eaves before new insulation (insulation company has these), install soffit vents (a local handy man can add round vents) if no venting exists. The energy auditor should be able to calculate the required ventilation needed for the size of your attic.

delilasam123 thanked Hess Custom Homes