Software
Houzz Logo Print
jc_7a_middletn

Unaided Crepuscule

8 years ago

What will crepuscule do if I grow it without anything to train it on or support it?

I have a couple recently planted bands 1-2ft from a smooth paneled fence and am curious about what I should expect to happen.

Comments (51)

  • 8 years ago

    You can always lean some sort of smallish trellis or obelisk between the rose and the fence for some interim support. I do this for a 6-8' climber against a shed that needs some support but I don't want to install anything very permanent. In your zone, I don't think Crepuscle will get as big as further south, so this might work. I don't get the impression it works as a free standing shrub though I can't say from experience (yet). I took the chance of planting it in my zone pushing section near my teas since I've seen rogue reports of it surviving in zone 6 and that's the limit of that bed. We'll see!

    Cynthia

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • 8 years ago

    I grew mine free-standing, and it made a beautiful, weeping shrub.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • 8 years ago

    Mine is several years old now. Without any support or training, it does just mound into a weeping shrub as Titan noted. It's a somewhat messy look grown this way, but I'm fine it. This is a picture of blooms on a stem of my Lyda that I took this weekend, but you can see my mound of Crepuscule behind it (that's not all Crepuscule...Marie Van Houtte is the more upright bush behind Crep)

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked pat_bamaz7
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you all for responding! Mine looks like this right now so I am having trouble envisioning it as a full bush.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Fabulous pictures! Sheila what a stunning combination... What is that purple plant exactly?

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you. Spanish lavender Otto Quast.

  • 8 years ago

    Yes that’s exactly how I was hoping it would lay!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Is it possible that I planted these too late? If it was the 1st or 2nd week of May?

    1 of the 4 is dead and gone. 2 more seem to be struggling a little and not putting out much growth. The 4th one (pictured above) is the only one doing OK and it gets more shade than the others.

    Was it just too hot to plant these bands? Everything I read about Crepuscule was that it loves the heat.

  • 8 years ago

    Hmm. Bands are young and tender, so sometimes they can't take the same conditions the mature plant would enjoy. If you think they are getting too much sun, you can try putting a lawn chair over them, to give them some shade. How often are you watering them? Baby roses do need more water than established ones (though it is also possible to kill them with too much water -- but in a hot, sunny spot that is unlikely). Are you fertilizing them? If so, don't give them any more. Baby roses can be killed by fertilizer burn. This is just me trouble shooting! If you post pictures of the struggling ones, people might be able to help you diagnose their problems. It could just be that they are focusing on root development right now, and will put on more growth once they have rooted to their satisfaction (imagine what kind of root system a mature Crepuscule must have, to support all of that intense growth and flowering!)


    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked K S
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'll get some pictures this afternoon and post them up. I fertilized them with hollytone when I planted them, but not since.

    I think* they are getting enough water. Deep waterings twice a week, plus whatever rain we get. I'm keeping this on the list of potential issues though.

    I'll try putting lawn chairs over the struggling ones. They are probably in 8-10 hours of sun a day.

  • 8 years ago

    I'd water those babies every other day in the heat, to see if that helps them. They won't need as much as they mature. Also, if the fertilizer is on the surface, I'd suggest scraping it away from the plants (if it is in the planting hole, probably just leave it -- especially since you have one that is doing well, which indicates the issue probably isn't the fertilizer).

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked K S
  • 8 years ago

    Crepuscule is a heat lover for sure. Some pot up bands for a few months to a year before planting just because some bands can be so fragile.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 8 years ago

    Sorry I didn’t get around to posting these last night.

    These are the 2 that aren’t looking so hot.


  • 8 years ago

    The one with the browning of the lower cane looks pretty bad, but the other one looks promising. The sad one might have fertilizer burn -- the thing that makes me think that is that the tips of some of the leaves are all brown and crispy looking, which is a sign of that particular issue. Anyone else out there have a different assessment?

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked K S
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    It IS possible because I did throw some hollytone into the hole before planting. And was not careful about the measurements.

    Both of them arrived larger than this, and have flowered since planting. So, while they might be salvageable, they are on the decline big time.



    EDIT: actually, even the one that is doing well (not pictured) has some browning at the bottom of the cane, so I was thinking maybe that happens as the plant matures? No idea.

  • 8 years ago

    I think potting a new batch and no fertilizer as babies would give you a gloriously positive experience. You could leave them in pots just a few months.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thanks, Sheila. I think I am going to do that since Rose Petals Nursery still has some in stock it looks like.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I would dig those up and put them in pots with a light potting soil in a slightly shaded place and wait for them to come back and put on growth. It's generally not suggested to fertilze new babies for the first season. Many use fish fertilizer only. I use some plant tone in my potting mix, but it's very dilute. It seems to be OK to fertilize bare roots after they start putting on growth, but nothing as small as these.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 8 years ago

    Another problem might be the mulch that is so close to the stems of these young plants. That tends to rot them. You always want to leave a small area of bare soil around younger roses, and especially the babies. I'm afraid that I've learned this the hard way.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    Sounds like it’s a combination of things I’ve done wrong!

    Thanks everyone for shedding light onto these problems. This is really my first attempt at planting anything that needs TLC, and I’m hopeful I won’t have to learn too many expensive lessons with your help.


    I’ll dig these little guys up tomorrow and get them potted. Hope they make it. I also ordered the last 2 I could find online and will definitely let them mature in pots too.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago


    Here is mine. It is planted about 12 feet up a steep bank. It arches up and then down. It has about 3 feet more of the bank to hang down on before it reaches the path. It was planted 3 years ago.

    Daisy

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
  • 8 years ago

    Daisy, I just planted mine a few weeks ago. I can't wait three years for that. I want it NOW!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I dug up the two I posted about earlier and have them on a patio that only gets morning sun. Poor things are riding shotgun on the struggle bus.

    I think this one is a goner, but I clipped it and the black stem is green on the inside.

    I haven’t quite given up on this one but the brown/black stem makes me uneasy.

    You probably can’t tell but that white lump is a name tag.

  • 8 years ago

    I hope mine end up looking like these mature ones in a couple of years!


  • 8 years ago

    You should know pretty soon, jc. Good luck.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 8 years ago

    JC, it looks like you're doing everything right now that they're all potted up. I have all fingers crossed in hope that your rose babies make it. I'm glad you were able to snag a couple more Crespuscles just in case. Everything is a learning curve, isn't it? Especially growing rose bands. Your phrase "riding shotgun on the struggle bus" made me laugh out loud, though! May I borrow it as needed around my garden? Carol

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks everyone! They will probably stay potted until next year at this point.

    I have two "new" ones that will arrive at the end of June. I also ordered two Lady Banksia Whites since I heard they are monsters that are overly vigorous.

    Plan B and Plan C.

    Hope one of them works!


    Carol, you can definitely use that phrase. Most of the plants in my yard have a seat on the struggle bus, but these guys are in time out in the front seat.

  • 8 years ago

    RIP

    Pronounced these guys deceased yesterday afternoon.

  • 8 years ago

    That is too bad. Once you see the black crawling up or down the stem it is usually too late.

    Good luck with your next go-round. Crepuscule is one of my favorite roses.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Rosefolly z5
  • 8 years ago

    So sorry, jc. I'm sure the next ones will make it and be glorious!

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks, all!

    The one that's still in the ground is still blooming and putting out new growth!

    My new bands arrive at the end of June, so I'll probably be posting in this thread again to ask for advice.


    I'm glad no one gets too bored to help a newbie out!

  • 8 years ago

    I must say, my Crepuscule hasn’t exactly come roaring out of the gate either, jc. I thought it would really take off in my climate. Mine was planted in February from a gallon size. It has bloomed a bit, but is only about 1 1/2’ High by 2F wide. It gets full sun from about 11 AM on. It looks ok, but I expected lots more growth by now. Most heat loving roses take right off for me. If I can get up the slope today, I’ll post a picture. Lisa

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Would love to see a photo of yours, Lisa!

    My best guess for the one that did well is that it gets close to 10 hours of sun a day. One just a few feet from it was the first to kick the bucket, so I'm not certain what I did wrong.

    The one that survived is a miracle ha

  • 8 years ago

    Well jc, I went to take the picture, and it was light enough when I started up the slope. I knew it was way past time I mulched Crepuscule, (I was waiting for the drip irrigation) so I loaded up a bucketful of mulch and compost. It took me a little longer than I expected to get to the top of the slope. (I’ve developed an issue in my hip, recently.)

    I took these photos before mulching, or making things look presentable, but the flash still went off. I’m glad I did it, though! I should have mulched my Crepuscule months ago.

    Crepuscule IS growing, just not as quickly as I expected it to. Now that I’ve deadheaded it, given it some good compost, and a proper mulching, maybe it will really take off. Again, sorry about the cruddy picture. I saw some others that needed deadheading up there, so I should be back up there soon. Lisa

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    Wow, thanks for doing that!

    I’m actually very glad you hadn’t mulched yet so I could see the plant better.

    I really enjoy seeing these roses at various ages and stages of bloom. Helps me to know if I’m doing it right!

  • 8 years ago

    No problem, jc. At least the one Crep survived, for you. Where are yours coming from? Mine came from Antique Rose Emporium when they had free shipping last fall. Were you able to see my Crepuscule well enough in spite of the flash? I’m glad you asked, because now poor Crepuscule has been composted and mulched. It was planted perhaps 3 or 4 months ago. Think it’s growing at a normal rate? I’m just usually lucky, (or unlucky, depending on space) in that most of my roses grow so quickly. This is especially true of the heat lovers on the drip line. I did see new growth coming up from the ground, so maybe mine was just waiting for warmer temps. It’s only recently heating up here. It has bloomed about 8 lovely flowers. I’m hoping to keep mine somewhat controlled, although I hear Crepuscule doesn’t really appreciate much pruning. I have such a “sea of pale pink” up there, I think Crepuscule with make a nice statement. Hopefully Crepuscule won’t go quite as crazy as Mel’s Heritage. You can already see a blooming cane of Mel’s Heritage reaching in from the left. He throws his beautiful blooming canes everywhere! Lisa

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    Part of why I picked Crepuscule was because everyone said it is a vigorous grower and that it loves the heat.

    Mine arrived as tiny bands from RosePetalNursery, which probably would have been fine had I not misstepped in the care of it. At any rate, I ordered from them again.

    The surviving one I have has had several rounds of blooms already. Probably 10 total but it's about half the size as yours.

    I buried the main stem and have had 2 shoots come up from the ground. Looks like three octopus legs each going in a different direction. I'm afraid to dig around and see if there are any more on the way. It stills looks so frail compared to bare root roses. I guess that is what noisettes look like.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    What a difference a month makes.

    The 1 surviving rose is thriving and the 2 replacements I planted are also doing well.

    The larger one is starting to sprawl past the edge of the bed and onto the lawn. I pegged the large canes back towards the direction of the bed.

    Is there a special way to use a trellis to train noisettes up a wall?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I’d be interested to hear the answer as well. I was just planning to attach the long canes to the fence with that foam coated wire, when they grow unruly.

    What a difference a month makes is right, jc! Mine must be loving this heat. It’s shot out a long cane, and is pushing new growth after not doing much all spring. I’ll try to remember to take a picture when I go out later. It obviously IS a heat lover. Me, not so much. Lisa

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    I'll get a picture of the first one I planted. It looks like your picture from last month already.

    But the canes aren't long enough yet for me to "bend them backwards" towards the fence.


    Trial and Error should be my motto.

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    Yay!!! That's amazing growth! I'm so happy for you after losing the others.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I think this is my favorite rose of the ones I have. The blooms are small but not tiny, the color is sort of pastel, it’s vigorous and the canes are soft.

  • 8 years ago

    Wow, they are going nuts. The two smaller ones are the newer ones I planted in June I think. The larger one was the original from May.


  • 8 years ago

    Lisa, I bought 70cent plant supports and tied fishing line between them for support. Just to keep them off the ground and away from my weed eater.

    It works and isn’t obtrusive, but it’s janky.

  • 8 years ago

    Buys you time to think what you want to do long term.


    My personal opinion is that plants should not be grown directly onto wood-sided houses. It can be a termite risk. If that is a fence, no problem. If it is your house, I would move them out a couple of feet and put a sturdy climbing structure of some sort between the house and the rose, far enough out that you can get behind it to keep it pruned on the house side. That would also get it out of the house's rain shadow.


    The plants look healthy and robust.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Rosefolly z5
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks rosefolly!

    It's a fence but is actually made of vinyl- PVC type material.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Hi jc! They look great! I went up the slope yesterday morning to take a picture of my Crepuscule for you. When I saw how much Mel’s Heritage was overtaking it,(and everything else) I realized a photo wouldn’t even show who was who. I ended up cutting away yards and yards of Mel’s Heritage, and only stopped when I accidentally threw my pruning shears down the hill along with a handful of MH canes. By that time I decided I’d had enough of that for one day, and the sun had become so bright my pictures were lousy. But, I was up early enough this morning to take some pictures.

    Crep has a few 5-6’ canes, but only the one trailing down the hill on the left is obvious. That’s Wild Edric in front of it.

    As you can see, I’m all about janky myself:)

    Lisa

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    I really like the idea of it cascading down the hillside- I bet it will look incredible once mature.

0