Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agyory21

Quartzite Taj Mahal: Hone or Leather?

otis gyory
5 years ago

Does anyone know the advantage of honing v. leathering when it comes to Taj Mahal and similar types of quartzite? Is enthrone more durable, easier to care for, etc.? Aesthetically, what do you think?

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    5 years ago

honing will maintain a smooth finish that is more matte than a polished surface and leathered will provide a textured matte surface.

• wsurrette
    5 years ago

I just completed a kitchen remodel and had leathered Taj Mahal quartzite counter tops installed. We originally fell in love with polished slabs, but balked at the extremely high prices quote from a local high end fabricator.

My contractor suggested another fabricator who dealt with a different stone warehouse. They only had leathered slabs of Taj Mahal. Initially, I was not convinced... not sure why, probably because I saw the polished slabs first. The other stone we looked at was polished Perla Madre quatzite (polished) but we just liked the color tones and movement of the Taj a bit better.

Long story short... we went with the Taj and after installation I cannot believe I even considered the polished slabs! The thing I loved best about the Taj were the complex but subtle color/movement variations. The leathering process added a whole new dimension in that I find myself admiring how the counters feel to the touch! It's hard to explain.

I've only had them for a couple months, but they are by far my favorite part of our (major!) kitchen remodel. They also happened to be much cheaper (still $$$$) than the polished slabs I looked at.

Cheers

Gusman

• clairefisk
    3 years ago

Gusman .. I'm currently in the same boat trying to choose between leathered and polished. You should have attached a picture !!!!!!

• otis gyory
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If you're trying to choose between polished and leathered, consider how shiny/showy you want the counter to look. I was dazzled by polished in the store, but the more I thought about it in my home both aesthetically and even practically, I came to much prefer the honed, which is in between pol and leather. It's really a pleasure to touch--like real rock--whereas the polished is like a gem--very smooth but not as authentic. Either way, I think you'll be pleased. Don't discount the tactile aspect!

• wsurrette
    3 years ago

Hey Clairefisk...

I just got an email indicating that a reply had been made to one of my HOUZZ comments.... I cannot believe that it's been two years!

Well, I am still thrilled with our leathered Taj Mahal... it's been absolutely bullet-proof... no stains, etching or scratching... and we are not gentle on our counters. And as Otis gyory noted there is something very satisfying about the texture of the leathered surface.

I'd be happy to post pictures if someone could explain to this old-bastard-non-tech-savvy poster how to do it!

As I said before... the Taj is fabulous in any finish!

Good luck!

Gusman

• Evan Man
    3 years ago

@wsurrette that is good to hear. I took a leathered and polished sample and left raspberries, curry and other harsh things overnight and the polished got no stain but the leathered got red in the small tiny crevaces of the texture. Do you have those small almost cracks but not cracks in your leathered slab or is it all smooth to the touch?

• wsurrette
    3 years ago

Hi Evan Man,

We haven't any issues with food getting lodged into the crevices of the leathered surface of our TM. The counter tops are quite smooth an shiny despite the leathering. We do have some larger fissures that are actually filled with resin to minimize the depth and prevent food from getting down into them without detracting from the natural beauty of the stone.

If I can figure out how to post pictures I try to take a few....

We really like the leathered look and feel but I'm sure I would love the polished as well!

Cheers

Gusman

• otis gyory
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've had my honed Taj Mahal for two years. I can't see a single stain from anything on the surface. That doesn't seem to be a problem.

• Marguerite Mastromatto
    3 years ago

Can someone post a picture of the leather Taj Mahal? I don't like Taj at all - the coloring is so off for my kitchen. But I have only seen the polished version. It's been difficult to find the leather version. I'm searching several stone yards. It's possible the leather may look much better.

• Evan Man
    3 years ago

@Marguerite Mastromatto polished is way more yellow brown and honed leathered and sandblasted are lighter.

• Ace Harper
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hello all...about to do a kitchen remodel. Looking at doing the Taj Mahal leathered...I’ve seen some great reviews but can you reiterate the durability? I had marble in my last kitchen and was beautiful but a nightmare really...I’m about to have my first child and this home is really where we entertain a lot. I only want to enjoy our kitchen and not worry AT ALL about staining, etching, scratching...I love the look but if it’s not bullet proof I’ll just put in ceasarstone. ha! Thank You!

• rdy2retire
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We have honed TM. It has been in for 3 years. I have young adults that love to cook and are not great about cleaning. Not issues what so ever. Very happy with this stone!

• OCTAVIA MCBRIDE
    3 years ago

I am installing leathered Taj in my bathroom suite. What does everyone use to clean it with?

• Nancy Alpert
    2 years ago

Just got leathered. Wasn’t cheaper then polished. Love it

• Nancy Alpert
    2 years ago

Leather finished Taj Mahal

• Laurie Gulley
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Leathered taj mahal. 2 1/2 years no issues. we throw parties, tons of lemon cocktails, red wine, 3 kids who snack endlessly... still as beautiful as the day they were installled.

• Lejla Kosaric
    2 months ago

Thank you all so much for posting your comments here, reading all your comments finally helped me make a decision! We decided to go for leathered Taj for our kitchen renovation. Bacskplash, countertops, island…We have dark, honed marble now and ceaserstone and the marble etched and stained horribly. We were thinking of dolomitic stone ( similar to marble, not as stain resistant as quartzite) but after reading comments here, I decided for leathered TM. I do not want to worry, we cook a lot and are not super careful….Thank you. I will
    Post photos when ready, but here is the slab for now. It is polished, the stone place gets it honed or leathered. I like the look and feel of leathered stone.

• baleria
    last month

Lejla did you finish your kitchen remodel? Would love to see photos. We too are looking into the leathered Taj Mahal.