Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renee_gaudet59

Quartz countertops?

Renee Gaudet
5 years ago

I'm working on my very first remodel project and am learning a lot. This is fun!

Already decided:

--White shaker cabinets (diamond breman)

https://www.diamondcabinets.com/products/breman?prod={47846E07-20DA-44FB-8ACB-ED2EF38777FF}

--Fireclay 3x6 subway tiles, offset, azurine

Already decided and installed/painted:

--Floors - coretec teton oak

--Wall paint - Sherwin Williams functional gray

I'd love to hear opinions on countertops. We're going with quartz and while these samples are all silestone, I'm open to any quartz brand:

#1 - silestone charcoal soapstone suede

#2 - silestone expo grey

#3 - silestone desert silver

#4 - silestone kensho

I like all 4 choices, but I think #1 is too dark and #3 is too light.

#2 and #4 have the nice gray shade I'm looking for, but I want a slight pattern. Nothing too busy and I definitely don't want to replicate the granite look with lots of colors and movement.

Comments (28)

• indigoheaven
    5 years ago

I like #4 best.

Renee Gaudet thanked indigoheaven
  • Steph L.
    5 years ago
    #4 Would be nice with those cabinets
    Renee Gaudet thanked Steph L.
  • Kristie Bresz
    5 years ago

We have Grey Expo with our white cabinets and I really like it. Here's a picture! I thought I wanted something lighter but my husband really wanted more contrast so that's why we chose this one.

Kitchen Renovation · More Info

Kitchen Renovation · More Info

• Renee Gaudet
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kristie Bresz - Your Quartz looks great! Thank you for sharing those pictures. That really helps.
  • indigoheaven
    5 years ago

The Grey Expo is beautiful when contrasted with the lighter, whiter subway tiles. Kristie, you have a gorgeous kitchen. Well done! I think, though, it might be too much when juxtaposed with the azurine subway tiles Renee has already selected.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Another vote for number three. I like the way it looks with the tile best.

Renee Gaudet thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • cpaul1
    5 years ago

Given those choices, I would do #3. Black, brown and gray are not colors for kitchen counter tops. Those are the colors of dirt. Think cleaner.

Renee Gaudet thanked cpaul1
  • Renee Gaudet
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

cpaul1 - are you thinking of a different quartz other than those listed? I'm wide open to ideas and suggestions. :-)

• HKO HKO
    5 years ago
    Glad to see the Fireclay made the cut ;). I’d choose a light color (#3) and let the tiles be the star. Also gray is trending out.
  • indigoheaven
    5 years ago

I'm changing my vote to #3!

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

I like #3 the best with the tile colour - the others are all too dark, though they may look right with the flooring.

Renee Gaudet thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • Renee Gaudet
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I went out to a quartz and stone store today and have new options. Care to vote, anyone? The new quartz brand options are from quantum quartz. If you vote, please tell me if you are voting for one of the silestone options from the original post or one of the options from this new batch of photos. ✅
  • My House
    5 years ago

2 (from this selection) I already voted for #3 of your original selection

Numbers 1 & 3 of this second selection are too busy.

Renee Gaudet thanked My House
  • HKO HKO
    5 years ago
    2 from this new selection or 3 from above. The other two new ones will distract from your tile
    Renee Gaudet thanked HKO HKO
  • Kathryn P
    5 years ago

I'll echo others and choose #3 from the first set (I'd probably go even whiter actually) and #2 from the second set. Good luck!

• Molly
    5 years ago
    What is your layout? I like the new #2 the best, but love how the new #3 has some of the time color in it.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

1 and 4 from the first,,,,and 2 from the new selection.

love fireclay and love the tiles! my friend did the glass from fireclay and a natural soapstone

these blue ones are also fireclay and have a black countertop

other fireclay colors

this is a quartzite called Negresco. resembles soapstone but is stronger.

and if you get it honed, it's a lighter gray color

• pdjh
    5 years ago
    From your first grouping I like #4 best with your cabinets, #3 best with your tile. Above all, I like #2 from the 2nd grouping the best. Know why? Your colour scheme is almost exactly the same as ours! We had our countertops installed today, have warm white shaker cabinets, and will be installing a Smokey blue backsplash.
  • Steph L.
    5 years ago
    #2 from the second post. Super pretty and will look great with everything
    Renee Gaudet thanked Steph L.
  • Renee Gaudet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth H. : Thank you SO MUCH for sharing all those pictures! That really helped me visualize what my tile will look like. :-)

pdjh: I'd love to see pictures of your kitchen!

• Renee Gaudet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm going back to the quartz place today to make a final decision. I really considered everyone's input, which was super helpful, and am strongly leaning towards #2 in the second set. For a while, I thought I might go with #1 from the second set because I think it's beautiful, but #2 matches what I hope to accomplish a little better. I'll have a little open shelving (just two small shelves) and I'm planning to have lots of fun decorating. That'll be a great opportunity to display bold colors and patterns and I can easily change it as my mood changes. :-)

• Kristie Bresz
    5 years ago

I really like #2 from the 2nd set! Good luck making a decision. Please post update pictures!

• indigoheaven
    5 years ago
    Lovely selection. As is often suggested, make sure that you see the entire slab so that you don't have any surprises later.
  • Renee Gaudet
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I ended up choosing a very similar countertop to #2 from the 2nd set. I was also able to see a huge slab, which helped a ton.

Final selection = Cambria Delgatie
    It’s beautiful! Of course the picture from the website will not do it justice, but here it is anyway.
  • Scott Hildebrand
    5 years ago
    We just went with Desert Silver by Silestone. We were looking for a lighter gray with warmer tones and understated veins... Still needs some finishing touches, but we love it so far! Last pic is what it looked like before.
  • fifamom
    5 years ago

2nd batch #2 looks nice... #3 is and #1 counters look too busy...

• Sean G
    5 years ago

Does the desert silver have blue undertones or is a creamier gray?