Software
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

How to get new address in Postal System...

8 years ago

We just finished building our new home (and moved in this past weekend) and can't seem to get our address in the magical postal database. I've been working with the post office for about 3 months to no avail. We are in every other database, like Google, but just not the postal one. The frustrating part is I can't get delivery from Amazon or a local pizza since they can't "verify" the address. I've worked with the local City who normally sends an email to all the appropriate persons and it just happens. Unfortunately, it didn't happen this time. We are the first house on this street, but the street has been in existence for about 8 years when the subdivision was built. Does anyone know who or how a new address gets in their system??

TIA

Comments (26)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    We had the same problem 10 years ago. It took about 6-12 months to work itself out and for systems to update depending on what it was. You need to work with your post office too on this. We also worked with customer service of Amazon and a few other places to be able to get deliveries.

    Robbi D. thanked lyfia
  • 8 years ago

    Had similar issues and I think it was a 3 month delay. Back then it was (15 years ago) Netflix that had the issue. Can't imagine Pizza is an issue. We were getting all mail - Netflix just wouldn't send DVDs

    Robbi D. thanked David Cary
  • 8 years ago

    Same here. Once EMS gave us an address, we just filled out the change-of-address form. We started the process well before the house was done, though.

    Robbi D. thanked mushcreek
  • 8 years ago

    Wow, and I had the mail lady tell my builder he had to get a mailbox up because we were getting stuff and she had no where to put it. That was about 2 months after we got the permits, still 7 months before our move in!

    Robbi D. thanked Josie23: Zone 5: WI
  • 8 years ago

    Here it's part of the permitting process, and the county assigns the address and then they tell the local post office once a month what the new addresses are. You literally have an address before the first piece of dirt is moved.

    Robbi D. thanked arthurpym
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I own a farm that's been in my house since before America was America, and we are building our retirement house on "the back 20". The issue: We don't want to build right on top of the main road, so we need to create a road into the property. It'll be a private road; thus, we are in complete control of WHERE we place it, so no problems there.

    Step one was going to the courthouse to name the road /place it on the map. It was considerably harder than expected. Fearing that our first (or even second) choice might be taken, we went in armed with half a dozen names. We had discussed that we wanted it to be easy to say /easy to spell. Nope, every one of our ideas was already taken. A solid hour later, we left with an official name: Cloverfield. Nothing at all like we set out to get, but pretty and a bit of a nod to our Irish ancestry.

    A problem we hadn't anticipated: we live in an area with lots of farms just like ours ... and a lot of other farm families "have roads" that haven't actually been built yet. So we never had any chance of knowing all those names were taken.

    Step two is getting a house number. The post office does this, but we have a plan. Cloverfield will be able to hold multiple houses, and we intend to number the houses with the year they were built. So if a family were moving in this year, the house'd be 2018 Cloverfield.

  • 8 years ago

    OT - to Mrs Pete - your house numbering plan intrigues me. I had assumed house numbers were assigned based on plots in the neighborhood or road and where your front door was on your plot (left, middle, right). If I was the mail carrier for your road, I would be surprised with your potential numbered line of 2021, 2018, 2020, 2019, etc depending on when the houses were built. What if two houses were built the same year?

  • 8 years ago

    OT - to Mrs Pete - your house numbering plan intrigues me. I had assumed
    house numbers were assigned based on plots in the neighborhood or road
    and where your front door was on your plot (left, middle, right). If I
    was the mail carrier for your road, I would be surprised with your
    potential numbered line of 2021, 2018, 2020, 2019, etc depending on when
    the houses were built. What if two houses were built the same year?

    Sure, I think everything you say is true ... if it's a public road /if it's land sold to the public house numbers would be assigned by the builder or by the city.

    Our situation's different: This is a large chunk of private property, which will definitely never be sold in my lifetime ... and I doubt it'll be sold in my children's lifetimes. We have no plots. My middle brother and I own this property together, and for tax purposes we will always own it together ... and our other siblings share another (larger) property down the road. As a result, the only people who COULD build on Cloverfield are me and my brother ... and potentially our children, who are ages 7, 9, 21 and 24. The chances of me and my brother building a house in the same year is remote, and even the older children (mine) aren't even remotely interested in building a house at this point.

  • 8 years ago

    We built a new house on raw land about 5 years ago now. I remember how hard it was to get packages delivered. I remember Fed Ex could "find us" but UPS couldn't for awhile. We had a fiasco of a time getting the USPS to deliver mail to us too. I honestly can't remember what the root of the problem was, other than I remember thinking the woman at the front desk seemed to actually hate me and I thought she was deliberately making it as hard as possible. :) It does eventually sort itself out though.

  • 8 years ago

    Update:


    We were told to fill out (on paper) a form to forward our mail. They claim that will work?? We will see.... to complicate matters, we're going on a 2 week vacation and put a hold on it!

    The local 911 has our address in their system. I was told that the two systems were tied together. I've called twice and talked with 2 different dispatchers who checked and we are in their database. I was relieved we'd get help if needed!

    The lot was assigned a house number back when the development was established. Evidently all the streets are in "the database" except for ours. The East addresses for our street are good, just not the West side. In the last few months, we've had a few more house starts going up on the street, so maybe that will help??


  • 8 years ago

    Mrs. Pete, I can only imagine the frustration having to start with a whole street!

  • 8 years ago

    Mrs. Pete. I never even imagined what it would take to name/create a brand new road! Interesting to hear about it, though I have seen way too many scary movies in my lifetime to name a lane Cloverfield, but I do like the ties to the farm and your Irish Heritage. I think I would have tried to name it after my family name first, but maybe you did and it was taken already.


  • 8 years ago

    I had a similar problem and I had to start with the letter carrier for my street. As it was explained to me at my local post office, addressing begins with your specific carrier making an entry in their address log and ends when the postal addressing database is updated. Good luck!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Mrs. Pete, I can only imagine the frustration having to start with a whole street!

    Oh, getting the NAME from the county was difficult -- probably because we assumed it was going to be a five-minute thing, and it wasn't -- but the rest isn't hard. We own the land. We've long had kind of a service road that enters "the back 20" and is used only for farm equipment /our trucks when we go in for firewood /occasional hunter friends. It sits in a logical place and curves around between the woods and the fields -- no need to recreate the wheel. We did need to beef up the entrance a bit so my Honda can safely come and go.

    The negative, of course, is that because this is a private road, it will not be paved, and the state will not keep it up or plow it in bad weather. It's very Southern, though, to give directions that include the phrase, "Turn off the paved road."

    I have seen way too many scary movies in my lifetime to name a lane Cloverfield,

    I guess it speaks to my taste in movies, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

    Oh, but we aren't a road or a lane. We are just Cloverfield. No descriptor. I choose to dig my feet in at odd places.

    I think I would have tried to name it after my family name first, but maybe you did and it was taken already.

    Yeah, we did consider it, but a couple things stopped us:

    - As I said, I own this property together with one of my three brothers. I'm married, so we no longer share the same name, and we certainly weren't interested in hyphenating the road name. That would've broken the "must be easy to say and spell" rule.

    - We could've gone with his last name, which is also my maiden name ... it's very Irish /unusual /easy to spell ... but that's our Dad's name, and this land came down from our Mom's side of the family ... and, um, shall we say the two sides don't always get along? Very different people; no wonder they divorced. We couldn't "jump back a generation" and go with our Mom's family name because it's already taken ... side effect of having a family who's never left a three-county area; my husband says jokingly we're not smart enough to find our way out. I counter with, "Yeah, but we caught you and kept you. What does that say?"

  • 8 years ago

    Mrspete there's a movie called Cloverfield and another called 10 Cloverfield Lane.

  • 8 years ago

    Computers sometime do not simplify live. We built and moved in our last house in 1990. The house to our right was 355 and the house to our left was 401. We just picked a number that fell in the middle (373) and started using it without any approval from anyone. We had no problem with any deliveries. At that time home computers were far and few, and still used DOS.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I don't exist. My road exists, but none of the house numbers on my road exist. I have most things sent to my PO box, and I can get some companies and UPS to deliver to my actual home, but:

    Amazon will NOT deliver to my home. If it is something it won't deliver to my PO but needs a physical address, it bombs out. Frustrating. Insane.
    Google Maps sends everyone to the end of my road (which is short, but not helpful when directing deliveries).

    I live in a small town where the PO decided not to make home deliveries anymore, so everyone has a PO Box. But this should NOT mean UPS or FEDEX or Amazon can't find you. In fact, depending on whom I can go through, they can. Well, except, Amazon.

    Then again, I don't even WANT to begin to tell you what I think of Verizon. (Or do I? I'm using Hughsnet satellite service, since Verizon told me point blank they don't service my road for phone/wifi/internet. When the guy across the street from me HAS all of the above.)

    Oh well, I get ecstatic when I find glimmers that I might exist...

  • 8 years ago

    Mrspete there's a movie called Cloverfield and another called 10 Cloverfield Lane.

    I had no idea.

    Amazon will NOT deliver to my home.

    Might be better than my poor sister-in-law. She orders EVERYTHING from Amazon, and they like to pile boxes against her back door ... meaning she cannot open the door and has to walk around the house to enter from the other side.

    I don't exist. My road exists, but none of the house numbers on my road exist.

    How about this: When I moved into my current house, we were not really "in" a town, but our address was the small town to one side of us. Within a couple months of moving in, we were incorporated by the larger town to the other side ... so without moving, we found ourselves living in a different town!

  • 8 years ago

    When we moved to our city in Connecticut, our street was a rural delivery: Rural Route 3. No house numbers. The mailmen knew everyone. Then development hit our area and they assigned house numbers. Ok. Then a year later the town decided that they didn't leave enough numbers for the new development. So they re-numbered us so instead of 251 we now became 261. Took quite a while to straighten out this fiasco. On a positive note, we met neighbors who lived further down the road who now had our old address!

    BTW, before we had the house numbers, we gave directions to workmen and family that our driveway was by telephone pole #895. Every pole has a number and it worked great!

  • 8 years ago

    Robbi D. Here is an 'addendum' to my post above.

    I just recently started using my 'new' address with Amazon for ONLY THINGS TOO LARGE FOR MAILBOX since I hardly get any 'real' mail, I haven't put up a 'new address' mailbox (my mail still has my 'old' address which is now my grandson's address so no real problem for any of us).

    So what did Amazon do this weekend with a box that is 11.5" x 20.5" x 31" and weighs at least 25 lbs? They sent it USPS, who then wouldn't deliver it because I have no mailbox with that particular address - not that it would fit in the mailbox!

    So be aware, even with an address one needs a mailbox if UPS is going to deliver a package too large for the mailbox. Of course, I never expected Amazon to ship this particular package via USPS either.

    Our 'new' addresses are posted on the fence at the gate to the property, plus on each home. I actually have a third mailbox up (no door on it - previously used for the newspaper to keep it dry), so I will add the 'new' address to that mailbox (which doesn't have a door), since I don't expect to get any mail in it.

    Will be interesting to see is USPS returns any more 'large' packages. I seldom get 'small' packages from Amazon.



  • 8 years ago

    Mrspete there's a movie called Cloverfield and another called 10 Cloverfield Lane.

    I had no idea.

    And they are, shall we say, some interesting movies. The one with John Goodman was fascinating, because right up to the end, I didn't know if he was lieing or telling the truth. I won't spoil it for you. ;)

  • 8 years ago

    I am very concerned this will happen when we build. We're building on farm land -- basically in a hayfield-- so I fear it's going to be a nightmare to get an address.

  • 7 years ago

    We've been at our address for almost 2 years now. Up until just recently I could't have anything shipped here from Pottery Barn. Each time I entered my address it would default it to a road in the same town with a similar name but not the exact name. I guess their system didn't recognize our address as valid. Something must have changed because I went on pottery barn website and my address now works. I have the same problem with Bed Bath and Beyond and QVC. Also if our regular Fedex guy is off our packages end up at the other address. We've talked with Fed Ex several times and they say they don't know how to keep the address from defaulting to the other address. I was able to get our address on google maps by emailing them. GPS's can't find us so I have to give people an address that is close to us and then give them directions from there. Mail has never been a problem.

  • 6 years ago

    I would bring your concern up with the city and emergency services. Addressing is for emergency services even more than postal services. If you are the first house I'm sure others will follow and the city needs to be involved if things aren't working.

  • 6 years ago

    In our case, I called the emergency services and it was correct. It was just the "master" mail database. The one that everyone gets their address links from. Once we found the person to correct the database, we were golden!