Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toats

Overwhelmed by my art!

toats
5 years ago

I just moved into a new apartment and could use some help! I have a good amount of art and feel overwhelmed when I try and place it. Ive got all the furniture where I want it so now I’m just down to art and accessories. I would like to do a gallery wall on the long wall around the large dresser which will serve as my other half’s bar. Anyone willing to serve as objective eyes for me are welcome to weigh in :)

Comments (4.7K)

• fissfiss
    3 years ago

And if Mr. Toats still wants amaze balls sauce, you’re going to need a full backsplash behind the stove. Trust me, I cook.

• the_toats
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yup i have considered the mess truly open cabinets entail. I had them in the cabin. Honestly after every sauce making session i just ran everything on the shelves thru the dishwasher lol. It worked fine that way so I might go ahead with it. I also love the idea of no uppers at all. Will be a tough decision for me for sure!

• the_toats
    3 years ago

I agree with the need for a full backsplash behind the stove but the prob is i really dont want a tile backsplash of any kind and the mr hates the stone backsplash that reaches the range hood for some reason

• the_toats
    3 years ago

I told mr i want to switch laundry room and pantry and he doesn't seem to care yay!

• zazfuzzroc
    3 years ago

Just a thought... and forgive me if I missed something, just now catching up...

If ya swap laundry/pantry... I am just wondering where or how your dryer would be vented..?

• fissfiss
    3 years ago

Toats, I did notice there is no bathtub in the house...from a protecting your investment point of view, there should be one.

• the_toats
    3 years ago

This pantry is pretty darn cute!

• zazfuzzroc
    3 years ago

That's beautiful Toats... 🥰

• glschisler
    3 years ago

In our patio home the compressor was under the laundry room window and sound was never an issue. I agree about only having drawers in lower cabinets. Especially as you age and can’t get down on the floor to get items off the beach shelves. Unless your shelves slid out.

• the_toats
    3 years ago

there is a master bathtub upgrade that is pricey but we will likely go with it, we do need a tub. I think its $4600 for the tub (with deck mounted faucet, tiling on outter shower wall, and a can light above). Does the price seem excessive?

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Sheet i didnt think bout the dryer venting :(

• fissfiss
    3 years ago

Look at acrylic freestanding tubs and tall floor mounted? faucets....might save a little....

• the_toats
    3 years ago

thats a pretty tub!

• zazfuzzroc
    3 years ago

Don't sheet yet, it was just a thought...I'm sure the builder can figure it out. Don't want to knock your idea...I like the swap idea also....but was just thinking after looking at the walls, etc.

• zazfuzzroc
    3 years ago

Not sure about the price on the tub, etc. But what I can say is that in most cases, the builder charges more for upgrades, than an outside guy...

But that being said, some things are just easier having done for ya when you move in....rather than having things ripped out and disturbed after you move in.

Plus, changing things right off the bat, probably not a great idea when you are still under the home warranty....they like to make any excuse not to have it be their issue.

Just a thought...

• fissfiss
    3 years ago

We vent our dryer onto the front porch, no big deal...no one has clutched their pearls in shock at the sight of a little lint.

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Yes thats exactly what i was thinking zazz, its prob a bit overpriced but better to just have it done.

• the_toats
    3 years ago

when i look at the plan the dryer has to be vented thru the wall to the outer wall regardless. The run would def be longer tho and have to come out at front entry area?

• printesa
    3 years ago

That pantry is beautiful. I would spend way too much time in there if I had a similar one:)

For the dyer vent, it shouldn't be a problem. Ideal is to have the length of the vent tube as short as possible, but in your case, it's not going to be long anyway. You can discuss that with the builder.

For the tub, see what you like. We went with a large jacuzzi and I regret that because it's a pain to clean and it takes way too much water (they also did not offer a handheld shower for the tub and that is a big problem for cleaning and rinsing)

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Good advice printesa thank you!

• zazfuzzroc
    3 years ago

Yeah, no biggie having it vent out at the front... just more of a pain keeping it clean..with the angle, etc. But not your problem if you call someone out to do it. lol

We always did ours, I guess that's why the thought came to me. The run we have now is like a foot or two...so much easier.

• zazfuzzroc
    3 years ago

Oh and yes, if it was me...I would def have that kind of thing done by the builder, no doubt. (tub, etc.)

Now the flooring, maybe not... because with the builders here...it was way overpriced and our flooring guys move everything...furniture, etc. and we just sit back and watch. lol

• the_toats
    3 years ago

yeah a short run is so much better but if i have to choose between that and a pantry with a window...

• zazfuzzroc
    3 years ago

Oh no doubt, I'm with ya all the way on that one... :)

• rredpenn
    3 years ago

I found a floorplan of the same builder, I think, with a laundry in the pantry spot, a longer "coffee bar" counter run w the fridge moved to end and a single island rather than two... I see they have planned for a pocket door on the garage entry side already, too. So, this builder has done these this way. The dryer vent would run thru garage and out by the front entrance.

I superimposed that chunk of kitchen/laundry onto your House #2 floorplan. Black arrows indicate the window in new pantry area, and dryer vent location. I like the kitchen work triangle in this arrangement much better. And you won't see a mess of barstools as you enter the home from the front. Much nicer, I think.

• rredpenn
    3 years ago

That has the added bonus of making that shared wall behind the fridge and washing machine a water wall. The filler faucet for your berkey could easily be added there. It keeps all the plumbing together... saves $.

• zazfuzzroc
    3 years ago

Much nicer...esp not having the sink at your rear when you are cooking...you can easily turn and place hot things on the island. Nice find Rred!

• the_toats
    3 years ago

NOICE!!!! Thank you rred so cool!!!

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Some coffee and ill check it out :)

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Rred is that floorplan on their website?

• the_toats
    3 years ago

I found it ;)

• rredpenn
    3 years ago

Amazing what one can do with the internet. ;)

Now you have something to look for in their model homes, and to bring with you to talk to them...

I can send a better, more cleaned up version of that sloppy copy-paste to your email if you want.

• rredpenn
    3 years ago

It appears that on their floorplans, a square equals approx 2 feet? Looks like the laundry would have plenty of room to walk into. You can put hanging space and shelves above the machines. Or stack the W/D and gain a few more feet of floorspace.

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for finding that! switching the rooms makes me feel like im getting the best of both plan#1 and 2!

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Altho i dont think i care for the way the island is oriented. i think i prefer it centered and parallel with the stove wall...

• rredpenn
    3 years ago

I can try that... LOL

Flipped the island. Patching the floor was impossible to do straight. LOL Also couldn't get island to cooperate w spacing from fridge. It wouldn't scooch over without going all wonky.

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Hmm...maybe put the two hutch/open style uppers over on the newly expanded countertop by the fridge and no uppers at all on stove run? But would it look weird with one being next to fridge?

im almost thinking to put the refrigerator on the stove wall where the wall ovens are in the model pics and just have that counter space in front of (new) laundry room with two flanking hutch style uppers? Does that make sense?

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Its ok rred dont trouble yourself!

• the_toats
    3 years ago

But whats your opinion (and anyone else pls!) on new proposed fridge location?

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Cool! Thanks rred :)

• rredpenn
    3 years ago

Personally, I like the fridge where it currently is. It's tucked out of the direct sight line from the great room... and from the first impression when you enter from the main door. I think it would look more like "furniture" to have the counter-cabinetry flanking the stove/vent hood (set up like a hearth) and the fridge tucked neatly back out of the "wow wall" that the stove would be. Make sense?

Plus, the fridge is in a more natural spot for a drink station. Creamer for coffee? Right there. Ice? Right there. Mixer? Right there. Store the glassware on wall w fridge, and it keeps that function of the kitchen separated. I hate having to barge into the cooking zone just to fix myself a drink...

That is the set up I have here and it works so nicely. But that is just my opinion... :)

• fissfiss
    3 years ago

Based on living with a similar floor plan, I like not seeing the fridge from the living room. Also, you have the water from the laundry room, so that saves a few bucks. You could do a fully integrated with cabinetry fridge (expensive), balanced by a matching tall cupboard on the other side of the stove...put the dishwasher to the right of the sink and then unload dishes straight from the dw into the cabinet, which would also make your cleanup zone very convenient to both the bar and dining area. Spending other people’s money is so much fun!

• the_toats
    3 years ago

Excellent points. Seems best to keep fridge on original wall.

• the_toats
    3 years ago

fiss, i really like your idea of one larger upper hutch style cab on stove wall where wall oven is currently....im so glad i got you guys involved :)

• rredpenn
    3 years ago

Also, the less you "change order," the more the builder will like you... LOL

• jayapple21
    3 years ago

Toats, since your builder does custom, I wonder if he has someone who takes your input and creates "digital walk-throughs" so you can see ahead of time what things look like and if you want to tweak the plans before building?

• rredpenn
    3 years ago

Toats, I found your skelekitty on "zillowgonewild"... he's hanging out at the saloon.

• the_toats
    3 years ago

HA!

• Ann
    3 years ago

Toats, hi! I think I've found your most recent thread. I know you were working on dishcloths for me and I wanted to message you to make sure you still had my address and to find out your address so I had it to send you a check when you are done - but your message function isn't open. I think mine is, so can you please message me so we can exchange info privately. Thank you and I hope all is well with you!

• rredpenn
    2 years ago

Toats, hey, how's things? Still think about you often, and wonder what's up with y'all. Hope things are good, and you've stayed sane and healthy, etc.

And, still, every once in a while, I see something that I think you need to see too. LOL

So, I give you today, "Orange Baboon" by Matthew Bober...

(Very Toatsian, imo. LOLOL)

...from an article I was looking at today. https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/painter-laura-dargans-art-filled-charleston-home-36959505

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions