toats

Overwhelmed by my art!

toats

I just moved into a new apartment and could use some help! I have a good amount of art and feel overwhelmed when I try and place it. Ive got all the furniture where I want it so now I’m just down to art and accessories. I would like to do a gallery wall on the long wall around the large dresser which will serve as my other half’s bar. Anyone willing to serve as objective eyes for me are welcome to weigh in :)

Comments (4.3K)

• rredpenn
    last year
    last modified: last year

Toats, whether or not you know it, you're an art therapist already. :)

I never would've been encouraged to try making anything "artsy," but watching you do your thing here over the past few years has completely changed me. I find myself saying, "If Toats can make tree art from plywood sheets, painter's tape and stain..." or "If she can take a bunch of plastic horses and make a wonderful vignette on the dining table..." or "If she can make her own stump tables..."

You have a way of leading by example, and watching you do your projects, big and small, gives me the courage and chutzpah to try things like them, too. I love how you have a vision, and then we watch your process...start to finish...with all the tweaks in the middle.

You give life to the process, and seeing that process is where the learning is, for me.

Watching you work on making your spaces shine (and they all do!) is so much more valuable to me than just looking at static, lifeless pictures of "pleasing rooms."

Your can-do attitude, your ability to execute the vision you have, your sense of humor, your personality, the way you encourage others to do the same... all of that together is absolutely "therapy" for me because it gives me the hope, the confidence and incentive to try making pretty and pleasing things happen in my spaces, too...

If that isn't a goal for therapy, I don't know what is? LOL

toats thanked rredpenn
  • printesa

toats, sorry to see that you are so busy..school work, so much at once is never a good idea. My oldest has been doing the same thing these last few days..most teachers decided to give them a lot and just 3-4 days to finish them,,all of them...and then exams..This online school is worse than regular school. Good luck! You'll soon see the light at the end of the tunnel

Good ART! Quality ART! Investment ART!

The thing we all have to remember is the QUALITY art does not necessarily mean EXPENSIVE. Look for local and emerging artists that are doing good work and you will probably be able to find some refined and beautiful art at affordable prices. Most of the work i carry runs under the $2500 price point which is not a drop in the bucket for anyone, but most of the artists have smaller pieces of the same quality available for a much smaller price tag. NEVER be afraid to ask an artists/art reps if they run sales, have smaller pieces that fit in your budget etc.

I love the art work in my living room, but I'm concerned it is too sma

Frame it, and add a large mat to incrase it's overall size. Consult a local frame shop for assistance

How would you hang my art work?

Since you have quite a few, I would lay them flat and group according to theme, color, frame. For example, the single picture hung over the chest is good, because it has the chest to relate to. But, the picture on the large wall looks a little undersized and needs two more pictures, that compliment it. The fun is in actual placement. I use pieces of paper, bought on rolls at art supply shops, cut them to size and play with them till you get the look you like.

What art works well in my family room?

Thank you for checking back in, kjoy1 and happyleg. That's very kind of you. I haven't made any progress on that wall, but may work on it this summer and ask for feedback then. Julie, I somehow missed the watercolors you posted and I'm bummed I did because they were beautiful, and are now gone.
  • the_toats

Yeah it wouldnt be so awful if there was like a week between classes. That would be soooo much better!

• happyleg

That really sucks

• stryker

It's almost done, toats! Hang in there!

• rredpenn

LOL Is that your red pen or the instructor's?

I went to a very important in-service once all about why not to use red ink on student work bc it "hurt their wittle feewings." (FWIW, I used to pride myself on taking a long time in writing helpful, encouraging stuff on student papers. Nothing mean!) A week later, we had another VERY IMPORTANT MEETING where we all were told to we were now gonna be required to use red pens on scanner test forms, bc the scanner didn't pick up the red ink at all. We were supposed to write info on the students' test forms that the admins didn't want the state or the students to see--ie info whether or not they were native English speakers, etc. The admins got us all boxes of red pens that we couldn't use, except for stupid test forms that the students wouldn't ever see again.

It was a red pen confusion party at the office. We instructors were always asking each other, "Now, is it OK to use a red pen here?" "Oops, sh! ! I used a red pen on a student paper again!" "But Jesus' words in the Bible are so important that they used red ink!" "I guess our words written in red just don't matter much to anyone..." etc etc. It became quite the joke at work...

That is how I got my name here... well, that is where that came from... exc google made me add extra letters bc someone else is redpen. That is my junk google acct name...

Sorry. You just made me relive that whole stupid/funny episode in my career... LOL

• rredpenn

It was just a charcoal thing I doodled once while thinking about a guy I used to date who played "Blackbird" on the guitar... LOL I smashed that out in about 15 min, and called it ok.

My mom was also a crow... my sisters and I used to joke that she laughed like one, and used to hoard shiny things (jewelry?) so, we thought her spirit animal must've been a crow. So, that is also now for my mom too, in my mind. LOL

• stryker

Very expressive drawing. I like it.

• printesa

rred, I like your drawing and the story behind it.

The joy of dealing with administration..to use or not to use red pen. While I understand that it feels a bit overwhelming when you see red comments everywhere on the paper, I don't think there is a need for enforcing such rule..they get over it..we all did:)

• sauny_dav

We should use verwhelmed by my art" thing when we finished the lake house, and I sure thought of you as I was plotting this out! My system repassage prix is already done.

• zazfuzzroc

I think it's Toat's pen...from what I read (LOL), and it looks more pink on my PC...actually like that..lol :)

I don't think the red pen is a big deal, but on the flipside... I can see where in a group setting, such as a classroom of some sort...that it could make someone feel less educated being filled with marks that everyone could clearly see. Maybe...making them a bit embarrassed about their lack of knowledge..?

In a children's group... well, some kids enjoy mocking others...so I can see it being an issue. Not because of the initial marks...but the treatment because of said marks. Although parents should get on it...and make sure their kids know how to respect others...and not mock anyone! Period!

It is true...we all do get over things, just some easier than others...and not knowing someone's background or upbringing.. that can be a touchy subject.

I grew up with a condescending, I'm always right, coc-ky ...adoptive father...and was constantly put down, and embarrassed in public and private settings for anything he could find fault with... So I can very much relate to people's "wittle feewings" … and I think it's okay to have them, we are human after all.

Again, just my take... not that it's of importance, or anyone cares..lol or agrees, but just something to add to the mix. :)

Rred, I think a caring teacher, with a constructive and kind red pen...can be a huge benefit to both adults and children. I had some really great, caring teachers...they are not forgotten... :)

• printesa

zaz, you are right..being put down is the worst, right there with physical punishment..Some kids can be really mean, especially in middle school. Once they are passed that, they don't seem to care anymore...those who care about school, usually do not mock..those who don't are usually ignored if they mock someone..I see this with my kids. There is one kid who is very good at school and likes to shove it in their face that she is the best..Because of that attitude, she is no longer liked by those who used to be her friends.

At least here teachers don't mock students..at least I hope they are like that everywhere..The way I grew up, being put down by the teacher was a regular thing..extremely damaging to one's confidence..took me years to realize that I am better than what they were saying..

• zazfuzzroc

Oh, Printesa...don't get me started..lol You must remember the story of the teachers that made my son mark his face with marker.. and then wouldn't let him wash it off... so he had to walk around with two bright dots on his face all day!

UGH...there are professional/good...and bad in everything and those teachers are definitely on the &%%& list. :)

As far as kids... they do what they are allowed to do, unless someone steps in, I guess... Never really had any issues in school, thank goodness... the stuff at home was enough. :)

Really sorry you had that experience... it does take time to heal the invisible to the eye scars, doesn't it? I think you turned out pretty great... and am glad you have the confidence you do now. :)

• zazfuzzroc

Oh geez, Toats...sorry 4 my blabbing... a hazard. lol

I hope you are doing okay over there...as Stryker said...hang in there! :)

Hope to see more of your artsy craftiness once you have some time. :)

• printesa

zaz, I didn't know about that story..that is horrible..I thought this was done ages ago, not now..I would fire those teachers in a heart bit

• zazfuzzroc

Edit... :)

I can talk more on my thread...don't want to bore everyone on Toat's fun thread.. :)

• liasch

Ahhh...to correct or not to correct, that is the question. Somewhere in my Language Arts portion of my teaching career, I learned it was a waste of time to edit student work. The only reason was to point out why they did poorly on the rubric, in that area. And then computers...

And some people still cannot write even with technology....I think part of literacy is reading, and having an ear for the language.

Toats this too shall pass.

• the_toats

Yeah its my own edits. I do better on papers when i print it out and get away from the computer to read/edit it. my red pen ran out of ink so im using a pink marker lol.

no worries zazz, post any story you want!

rred, LOVE the crow its beautiful!

• the_toats

couple weeks ago mr toats says bedroom tv not working we need a new one. Ok so i say pick one up at cosco next trip no biggie.

he comes home with a 60” tv. Wtf.

wont fit on dresser in bedroom

wont fit on tv stand in living room

have to buy a new tv stand for the monstrosity.

i dont need glasses to watch tv anymore and the new tv stand is made of sawdust so its likely to disintegrate at any moment.

cheap ass tv stand arrived in 75 pieces and 4,643 screws and other unidentified plastic bits so that was fun to put together BY MYSELF

also the directions were not very helpful

I had some difficulty getting my speaking position

But once i screamed in the unite it was all good.

• zazfuzzroc

LOL

Omgoodness, where's the red pen? :D

• the_toats

If i had to red pen those instructions i wouldnt know where to start

• zazfuzzroc

Lol Yeah well....After looking at those, I will never again complain about IKEA's instructions... :)

• ladma

That is beyond crazy! We all need to scream into the unite!

• katinparadise

Those instructions are nuts! I remember one year when my hubs bought the kids cheap MP3 players. The instructions said "insert CD CD". My kids still laugh about it to this day!

• printesa

LOL..I guess screaming in the unite works..I am sure you felt like screaming when trying to install that:) I've only installed one ikea dresser, years ago when we were living in an apartment.

• rredpenn

Let's see that big ole monstrous TV Unit so we can all applaud your efforts! ;)

• the_toats

Here it is. Not sure how long it will last. I know wires look messy under it, i need to clean that up with some zip ties or something

• the_toats

There is no wood or metal on the thing. Entirely made of sawdust and plastic. I hate it.

• rredpenn

Well, it looks ok. But yeah, it's a poser. (If only the legs were metal, and the boxes real walnut... LOL) Good job figuring it out tho! And yay for no eye strain, I guess. LOL

• rredpenn

I have a burning question... how did your garden on the hot tub platform ever turn out? You still able to relax back there?

• the_toats

One day, when im done with school and have time, ill maybe build something similar with the bro-in-law out of honest to god real wood

• the_toats

The plants all died because i did not have any time to tend to them. shame on me.

• the_toats

I mean the veggie plants died. All my other plants are still good to go, theyre hardy. The veggie plants were sickly little weaklings always needing attention Lol

• rredpenn

I too have killed many a plant from neglect... you're doing more important stuff for now anyhow. That too shall pass. :)

• katinparadise

Veggies are tough down here. Who expects fresh strawberries in February and green beans and tomatoes in November? Everything gets planted when it's cool because the summers are too darn hot to plant.

• fissfiss

Toats, you have such a good eye...TV stands looks good, love the blanket ladder. Beloved went a little overboard with the TVs when we remodeled...the neighbors can watch the game from their patio. I’ll post a picture of it when I get home!

• babophz

Hi Toats, good to have you back! And Dammit of course!!!

Meant to say that Stryker and her upcoming butterfly outfit has me in stitches every time it crosses my mind... Please do post a picture of the whole costume!

• stryker

Hi babs! I'm having a hard time getting a good picture of it myself, but someone else took one that might be good. I'll see if I can get him to email it to me.

• liasch

Hahaha on the instructions… Priceless.

• stryker

Bee safe!

• liasch

Haha...perfect!

• babophz

OMG, that is hilarious! The antennae! The silly wings! And the stripey shirt to make it even more perfect. Thanks for a good laugh - before breakfast even!

• shwshw

Fantastic

• stryker

Thanks!! It was fun to put it together.

• the_toats

LOL

• the_toats

Very creative!

• fissfiss

Toats, I hope this does not give Mr. Toats any ideas...it is a 65” monster. Pardon the unstaged shelves, the “guys”did a little work here this winter...if it is not raining, I will take a picture from the neighbors patio later.

• rredpenn

At our lake house, we can see, in great detail, what the neighbors are watching four houses away up the road to the north (on both TV's, installed on their patio and in their LR), and three houses down the road on the south side, from their family room, which faces our kitchen.

Do people not use curtains or blinds any more? SMH!

• liasch

Rred, you have your own outdoor movie theater… LOL. Yes my sons screen takes up half the wall in his living room. 😜

• Ann

Toats, I really like that art ladder to the right of your new TV. That looks great!

• the_toats

Thanks ann!