toats

Overwhelmed by my art!

toats

I just moved into a new apartment and could use some help! I have a good amount of art and feel overwhelmed when I try and place it. Ive got all the furniture where I want it so now I’m just down to art and accessories. I would like to do a gallery wall on the long wall around the large dresser which will serve as my other half’s bar. Anyone willing to serve as objective eyes for me are welcome to weigh in :)

Comments (4.2K)

• zazfuzzroc

Printesa, that doesn't sound pleasant... I will stick with smelling the flowers..lol

• Ann

"indeed there is:) Portland used to be a nice and clean city..now, downtown looks pretty bad and smells like a public bathroom that hasn't been cleaned in years.."

I'm sorry to hear this. I haven't been to Portland in many years but it was a gorgeous city when I last visited!

Good ART! Quality ART! Investment ART!

The thing we all have to remember is the QUALITY art does not necessarily mean EXPENSIVE. Look for local and emerging artists that are doing good work and you will probably be able to find some refined and beautiful art at affordable prices. Most of the work i carry runs under the $2500 price point which is not a drop in the bucket for anyone, but most of the artists have smaller pieces of the same quality available for a much smaller price tag. NEVER be afraid to ask an artists/art reps if they run sales, have smaller pieces that fit in your budget etc.

I love the art work in my living room, but I'm concerned it is too sma

Frame it, and add a large mat to incrase it's overall size. Consult a local frame shop for assistance

How would you hang my art work?

Since you have quite a few, I would lay them flat and group according to theme, color, frame. For example, the single picture hung over the chest is good, because it has the chest to relate to. But, the picture on the large wall looks a little undersized and needs two more pictures, that compliment it. The fun is in actual placement. I use pieces of paper, bought on rolls at art supply shops, cut them to size and play with them till you get the look you like.

Need help setting up areas to do my art work, storage and all.

IKEA is your friend- inexpensive and lots of great inserts for drawers etc.A drop cloth for the floor and the table. Office supply stores have attractive bankers boxes and shoe boxes that you can sort specific projects into to help with clearing away stuff when life interferes with art. I always end up at the dining room table despite having a fully stocked art/sewing/fibre arts room upstairs. Having the upstairs room super organized with lots of labelled storage helps make it work.
  • printesa

Ann, I go there almost every year (used to live there and have family there as well). Tents everywhere, even in parking spots where a car should be parked..full of homeless. We went once in downtown to see the Chinese garden and the entire area was a mess..I don't see how businesses are making it there..I know some closed because of the homeless issue..Once the city allowed them there, that was it..difficult to clean the city now. I used to like the downtown area, but now I avoid it

• Ann

Printesa, I live in Colorado and Denver recently had a ballot issue that would have allowed tent communities like that. It was a hotly contested issue that was voted down by a surprisingly big margin. Had it passed, I think the situation in Denver would become just as you described in Portland.

• nwduck

As a resident, I'd like to come to Portland's defense. But I can't. I live outside the city, and don't go downtown much, but had occasion to just last week. I was stunned.

• Ann

I don't visit San Francisco anymore and I used to absolutely love to travel there. What a fun and cool city it was to visit.

Nwduck, if you don't live downtown, hopefully where you live is just as lovely as it always was. It's a nice city!

• jayapple21

The city with the tent housing issue - is that Portland, Maine or Portland, Oregon? I'm guessing Oregon if it's near Nwduck.

• Ann

Oh, I guess I'm not sure but I was thinking Oregon. I've never had the pleasure of seeing Portland, Maine but I have been to Maine once in my life and it was beautiful too!

• mamabear2014

I just gotta say toats, I am not a fan of mirrors, but dangit! I love your mirrored walls. Maybe because they show off all your cool stuffs. Love the curtains, too!

toats thanked mamabear2014
  • printesa

Ann,if they would have voted to have a place somewhere away from the city and where they could have rules, that would have been fine. I think Hawaii has a village like that and they have their own rule (no drinking, drugs, no stealing, no violence). In Portland you can see them on the street at the entrance of many businesses...lots of them high or drunk..They are so many, that they extended in other area as well as you leave downtown. I hope they manage to do something..many of them came from California.

SF used to be ok a long long time ago. I am one of those weird people who didn't like SF:) I lived in Bay Area in the early 2000s..used to go to SF from time to time, but it was getting too dirty and not so fun to walk around. Some of my friends we went there after we left said that it was worse...don't understand why since it's so expensive there and the taxes are way up there..

• printesa

nwduck, it's unfortunate to see that city become this way..I used to go on Broadway street with friends at certain clubs and it was safe and clean..now, during the day one doesn't want to go there. Pioneer Square used to be very busy..now, there are not that many people going there. I didn't even want to go to Saturday market. I prefer the one in Gresham..beautiful flowers, food and live music and kids dancing to the music:) Troutdale is really nice. They did a lot of renovations there lately

• printesa

jay, yes, it is Oregon. I don't think Maine would have many homeless given the weather. I've been to Portland, Maine once, on the way back from Canada. Maine is beautiful. I would say that my favorite beach town(s) are from Maine (Ogunquit, Wells and Kennebunkport)

• fissfiss

Sadly, even in Portland, Maine we have the same issues. I get so angry when I see motorists handing the panhandlers cash...within blocks of our downtown homeless shelter. We need more drug treatment facilities, we need more support for the mentally ill...and we need to crack down on anti social behavior. My standard is, “would you allow a group of dumb teens to behave that way?” If the answer is no, move along the adults.

RL Relocation LLC

Try on Orange county or LA county...........its a freaking fracking night mare............

• nwduck

Portland (OR) has always been a community-minded city. People do get involved, rally for change, and come up with some imaginative ideas for solving problems (as well as the funding). We just can't seem to get a handle on this burgeoning issue. There are lots of facilities, including family-oriented spaces, a village of "tiny homes" and the like.

What I encountered on a trip to the Portland Art Museum, located near Portland State University, was sidewalks littered with people JUST LAYING THERE ROLLED UP IN BLANKETS. I was just so shocked, and more than alarmed. I can only assume these folks have major issues, and are reluctant to get or downright refuse help.

One neighborhood planted rosebushes in an area to beautify it and discourage camping after there were scary incidents with the homeless. People just ripped the bushes out. The Department of Transportation decided the solution was boulders.

https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2019/06/19/oregon-officials-deter-portland-homeless-campers-with-a-million-dollars-worth-of-boulders/

At least the rose-planting neighbors are going to tuck some bushes back in between the rocks to make it look a little better.

• Depo

True, RL, and here in San Diego we had an outbreak of HepA because the homeless couldn't (wouldn't) use the $600,000 port-a-potties placed on the street corners for them. Trash 3 feet high right next to a trash bin! It definitely pushed us out of downtown.

• licksch

I grew up in Maine but I haven’t been back for a number of years now.

The homeless problem in Vancouver is really bad; there’s a number of innovative solutions out there but only in rare places.

Homeless shelters are not the answer.

• glschisler

San Francisco had been my dream city, but once the 1990’s hit it was all downhill ,around Union Square in downtown areas. OH and I went there a few times on business, and it was just sad. We were there last year as a stop on our cruise. We stayed around fisherman‘s wharf, and the second day we met my niece for lunch. So we were really not out and about too much

• stryker

Too many people in the world coupled with bad government/bad management is a terrible combination. Add in that the "too many people" tend to be selfish and it doesn't help any.

Great job as always on the home transformation, toats!

toats thanked stryker
  • printesa

nwduck, the same issue is pretty much everywhere in downtown. It was one after another rolled blankets, then tents and more blankets..also, lots of people drunk or high in the middle of the day..It's a difficult situation. I know Portland has lots of centers for detox and shelters, but many refuse to use them.

• printesa

Depo, I haven't been to San Diego since early 2000s..It was really nice and clean when we visited there. It's a small city, but cute and clean. We were considering moving from San Jose to San Diego

• Depo

When we moved downtown in early 2011, there were very few homeless, and they stayed in a certain area. Then the state of Nevada started busing and dropping off released inmates from their jails to our city in the wee ours of the morning. A few years later, California started doing the same thing and the population exploded. Now, it's just out of control.

• printesa

Depo, that is so irresponsible. I'm not sure why they don't realize that they destroy these cities by doing this..at some point people will move away and that's never a good thing.

• rredpenn

I just spent two weeks in Portland O, and without a doubt, the homeless population has exploded there. It's pretty sad. Everywhere we went, my young N and N and I witnessed some pretty awful things, and lots of evidence of homeless people, too... abandoned shopping carts, dirty adult-size clothes/trashed possessions hanging on the schoolyard fence, with filthy blankets/tarps, etc. Books and trash left behind, rotting in their own school playground...

It made for some interesting conversations w my N and N, who are of an age to wonder aloud about how people like that live, but interesting too is the offhand way the kids seemed to accept it. It's part of their experience in life to live in a place with such rampant homelessness, and to them, it's all just "Meh." I thought about my own kids' experience with homeless people-- and I don't think my kids saw it firsthand until they were in college.

My BIL cheekily blames the dispensaries, but no... these people do not have the $ to buy that stuff legally. Sigh. It's way more complicated than that anyhow.

I just took my dogs out for a quick pit stop, and I wore my sweatpants... LOL

• stryker

Amazing that Nevada gets away with that.

• printesa

rred, I wish I could wear sweat pants now..it's hot and it will be extremely hot and humid this entire week. Now I miss the 70s from Portland:)

• licksch

Lol...well peeps, I would be interested to know what your snooty neighbour would think about my morning trips to the mailbox in my bathrobe. I walk down my driveway in my slippers and across the road to get the morning paper and my mail, sometimes as late as 10 AM. It's a side road but reasonably busy. I figure at age 69 I've earned the right to wear my trousers rolled...to paraphrase TS Eliot.

• rredpenn

My neighbor-against-sweats routinely wears his white fluffy terrycloth bathrobe in the morning to set his sprinklers. To me, that isn't "WalMart" but it seems a bit like "country club locker room." LOL

To each his own, I guess. LOL

• rredpenn

Printesa, it was in the 90's for half of my two weeks there in June. It was miserable.

• printesa

rred, we are in the 90s here as well and in the weekend it will feel like 105. My max is 85, so I'm not looking forward to that. I should visit the Nordic countries during the heat waves:)

• glschisler

About 10 years ago, me and 2 other neighbors with dogs, would wind up in the middle of the street on our private cul du sac, in our night shirts to talk. We were getting the morning paper, and the dogs were doing their thing. ;))

• printesa

gls, that sounds like fun:) One of my neighbors goes to her next door neighbor's pool wearing just a two piece swimming suit. She looks good in it and I'm sure whoever walks down the street at that moment is not unhappy:))

• licksch

I have a great picture of me in that bathrobe with my cat Cuffers. Maybe I will post it in the hot mess.

• pat1250

Following

• threepets37

I love snake plants, and yours look great! Now that you've joined the crazy plant lady club, here's one I think you'll like. It's usually callled the Z plant, and it's very easy to care for. I have a couple, and they always look great! (Photo is from the web.)

• threepets37

Darn photo won't post. Here's a link!

https://i.redd.it/c5decma4iis21.jpg

• printesa

I have the Z plant in the bedroom. It doesn't need light and requires very little water

• zazfuzzroc

Must have a Z plant... I mean, come on... so cute!

• Not a Pro

I just ordered a Z plant! Thank you for sharing info about the plant.

• licksch

Hmmm...link isn't working either...not only does the Z plant not need light, it's invisible...lol...

• zazfuzzroc

Lol Licksch.. :) Here ya go... ;)

• babophz

I have three of those plants on my windowsill, they are the only ones that are sturdy enough to survive both direct morning sun (until about 1 p.m.) and my watering regime, lol!

• licksch

That’s a good looking plant. I’m always up for something that is easy to look after. My poor plants.

• threepets37

Thanks for getting the photo to show! I tried 3 times from my tablet, and it would not show up! LOL I think I am an official Z plant addict now that I bought my 3rd one today. I tried to resist. I really did. I bought one of these too. It was just too interesting looking to pass up! It's called a crispy wave fern.

• zazfuzzroc

You're welcome Threepets, no problem...(I just did a screenshot and posted.)

Oooo I love that one, I bought one a while ago... very easy to care for. I love touching the leaves... definitely crispy. Lol :)

Definitely need a Z plant too... :D

• printesa

I have a similar fern called Bird's nest fern. It is finicky for me..It doesn't like to have water on the leaves so I need to water it directly on the soil, on the side and not get any in the center of the plant. Also, in winter, it needs humidity, so I have a deep tray filled with rocks and then I add water. The pot sits on top of the rocks. I should look for the crispy one since it's similar as look and apparently easier to care:)

• pat1250

Following

• printesa

I saw this pillow and thought it might work for one of your armchairs. It is on sale

https://www.westelm.com/products/beaded-ikat-verve-pillow-cover-t4618/?pkey=call-sale%7Call-sale-pillows-decor&isx=0.3

• rredpenn

Toats, hey! How's it going?

Something funny... and I thought of you. Look! My "tree" panels fooled an errant painted lady butterfly today. LOL

He sat on that "branch" for a long time, too. Dumb thing! LOL

• rredpenn

Also, this coffee can I got reminded me of OBEY. LOLOL

It's really good coffee too. ;)