Software
Houzz Logo Print
sara_bartee

living room needs help.... again..

8 years ago
Needing to refresh my living room. I had the couch in front of the window for the past year and I’m really wanting to place the couch across from the window.
Definitely going to move the bookshelf, get new pillows... and pick up my child’s toys
But can someone help me with this layout?
I’m also getting a smaller, round kitchen table.. and I think that will help with the cluttered dining space behind the couch..

Maybe it’s the alignment of the couches or something? I can’t put my finger on it.. but this is day 2 of it driving me insane.

Comments (50)

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Are the two sofas the same length? Are they both recliners? Yes move bookcase and ladder. Relocate piece over TV and sconces. When you have numerous wall hangings it contributes to a cluttered feeling. I try to pair up like items in one space in interesting grouping. But first the main pieces have to be placed right. Your coffee table is not helpful if you have recliners because it can’t be reached. So think a a out wall clutter because it is most obvious problem.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I meant “think about” wall hangings. I counted 9 or 10 all spread out. I think we can improve that quite a bit.
  • 8 years ago
    Flo, both pieces recline. One is just 5 or so inches shorter.

    I am totally ok with moving any pieces on the wall. Any suggestions on where I can put the bookshelf.. or should it go?

    The coffee table is super awkward.. but it was free and it looks weird without anything there lol. I’d even be open to putting the TV in front of the window. I’m just tired of the couch being in front of the window and not feeling like the living room is it’s own space.
  • 8 years ago
    More pictures.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Furniture placed on an angle in the corner like your bookcase, just eats up more floor space and declares that you have too much stuff. It seems to be full of photos, with no books or decor. I think you can eliminate it, and move the photos to table tops, bedside tables, etc. I can't tell what is stored in the ladder shelf, but to me those shelves are reminiscent of college; think wooden fruit crates used for shelving. The removal of those two items will take away a lot of visual clutter and will open up the room. You have a clock above a thermostat and a light switch. That's just more clutter, and I bet you can tell the time by turning on the TV or looking at your phone. I don't consider battery operated wall clocks as decor. If you want to continue with the outdoors and woodsy feeling, I'd eliminate the end table and coffee table. Sell them on Craig's List and go for some "C" tables so everyone has a place for their drink even with the seats are reclined. When the couch was at the window it was hiding the fact that your drapes are the wrong length, but since you want new pillows, look for new drapes too.

    C table with a rustic wood top - look for a round dining table in the same wood.

    The Alex C Table · More Info

    How to hang your new curtains

  • 8 years ago
    Taking notes...

    Bookshelf will be gone. I’ll organize and get crates for under the TV. I’ll remove the clock as well. What do you suggest putting in the corner beside the tv? Or leave it open?

    On the drapes: color/pattern suggestions? I’d like to brighten it up and give it a more clean feel. The current drapes match the drapes in the dining area. Should those be the same?
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    The more open space The larger the space will feel. So less is more!
  • 8 years ago
    I can move any of the wall pieces.. including the deer head..any of the furniture can go or be replaced besides the two couches, rug, and TV console (they are fairly new)

    I realize the couches are pretty big for my space. Maybe I’d be better off putting the couch back on the window? I’ve moved the book shelf and ladder.. even scooted the TV over towards the corner. Now the corner looks weird because it’s so open.
  • 8 years ago
    Do you think it would be a bad idea to put the tv by the front door? It’s definitely open it up, but not sure if it would look better
  • 8 years ago
    Maybe these?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I actually thought of that and I think it might be a very good idea. How deep is the TV console? The console at the front door looks pretty deep, so I think that would work and work well. You could put your entry table in front of the window with that lamp and then the sofa where the TV is, pulled away from the wall enough to allow for the reclining position and the shorter one with the back facing the dining area. Then you could put some larger baskets under that entry table now in front of the windows, for stowing toys and keeping things a bit more organized. You might have a plan there! I would try one of the sofas against the windows since it would open the room up. Maybe if you pulled everything down a bit toward the dining area, it would leave room for one sofa in front of the windows? Have to try some things out. Do you have sliders? They are great for moving furniture. Lowes has them in packages for both rugs/carpet and hardwood flooring. I know those recliners are heavy!! If we did that, we might want to turn that rug as well. All options to consider.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    What colors are your walls? Those drapes are more for a bedroom imo. A bit too much at the top going on?

  • PRO
    8 years ago


    SouthernLiving Showcase Home Formal Dining Room · More Info
    A pleat like this is very nice as a possibility.

  • 8 years ago
    I like where you’re going with this Flo
    When I first bought the house a year ago this is how I had the layout, and I was told the couch is too far from the TV.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Or a simple backtap style that allows easy rings inserted for easy opening and closing. I see you have blinds so you might be able to just do panels on each end of the window if you don't need them for privacy. That would be lower cost method.

  • 8 years ago
    My walls are an off white color.. closer to white.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Wow! You are amazing! That looks so much better!! I would put the cow over the other sofa though about 6" above the top of the back.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The ladder piece I don't think works well. If you need a place for the throws, a nice basket with them rolled up in the basket would work much better. You don't need another tall item next to the TV.

  • 8 years ago
    Lol, I haven’t moved it yet! This picture was from a year ago.

    Suggestions on Panel colors?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    A bigger rug is needed. Was this the way you had the room before?

  • 8 years ago
    This picture was before. Since then I’ve gotten a larger rug, and moved the drapes higher. Relocated the cow painting and deer head
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    haha! I thought so. I do like it better. The larger rug you have would look great I believe, if you can get it under your furniture about 6". Let me look around for some drapery ideas. bbl

  • 8 years ago
    I moved it, so I could get an idea of what it would look like there. I didn’t move the couches or anything so ignore all of that.

    Do you think it’s too tall? Maybe it would look much nicer once I get new drapes
  • 8 years ago
    The lighting makes it look yellow-y, but it’s more of a beige color.
  • 8 years ago
    Ok... I couldn’t stand it. Husband might kill me.. but I moved it lol. Declutter, rehang all wall decor, and new drapes. Better this way or before?
  • 8 years ago
    Oh and take out the coffee table
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    With new drapes it would work well. But the drapes have to bring the gold color in somehow. Subtle print maybe.
  • 8 years ago
    Couch isn’t too far from the tv? Is the small couch still awkward? Do I need to put it in front of the window? I think I’m liking this better.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    The coffee table might work between the two sofas. I looks like there is more room?
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Just tell hubby you need bigger TV! Haha! I don’t think i like the sofa back to dining. I like it better in front of window i am afraid. I will ponder it over night. I will check back in tomorrow. Sleep tight!
  • 8 years ago

    I like the new furniture arrangement. I would change out the sofa recliner that is backing the dining area to two lower height comfortable club chairs with their own end table between. One brown sofa is good for your space (the one against the wall now) but the other feels like it's cutting off the dining area because of it's scale and color. I like the deer head where it is, but I wouldn't have your large cow picture in the same room though, maybe either one where the deer head is. I think you need a floor lamp and table lamps. More lighting will really bring your room to life. I think you need a larger console table in front of your window also. IMO:)

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I know you are busy with your family, but any further thoughts?
  • 8 years ago
    Still pondering on it, and waiting for your opinion lol! Thinking I may see how it works putting the small couch on the window. Just not sure where to put the console. I’m sad, I wanted the window open, but I’m not willing to give up my couch
  • 8 years ago
    Here it is with the couch against the window, and console on the other wall.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I like it! We are out to dinner. I will look harder later! Live your spirit though!
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    *love* your spirit.
  • 8 years ago

    Much better and now you're home feels more open and larger.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I look forward to more pictures Sara. Have you tried moving the cow art and grouping the wall items I mentioned separately?
  • 8 years ago
    Flo, I’m going to do that this evening as soon as I get home from work :) stay tuned!
  • 8 years ago
    It’s going to end up being longer than the console.
  • 8 years ago

    Personally, I don't care for the console. It seems too tall and too short to be used in your space. Don't forget Craig's List for selling and for replacing items.

  • 8 years ago

    I would make the curtain panels off-white or cream, either plain or with a subtle design, nothing that makes the curtains too obvious. They should be a backdrop for what's happening in the rooms, not something that draws your eye to them immediately. I would remove the sconces that are above the TV, they add nothing to the room. Looking into the kitchen there also seem to be space fillers there which make the area look cluttered, like the wall rack and perhaps even the furniture piece below it. That large wheel in the living room is also something I would remove. You're not working with a very large space here and the more extra stuff you get rid of the better your space will feel.

  • 8 years ago
    Working on decluterring a removing a majority of the items. I’m waiting on my new kitchen table and then the dining room will be my next project :)
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I think we might need 3 items not 4 over console. Oh exciting news! New table. Can’t wait!
  • 8 years ago
    Here’s a current update!
  • 8 years ago
    Not done, but it’s a start!
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Everything is looking great. Ya-all have done a great job! Super relaxing and lovely. That table and chairs is a great fit. We need a pretty bunch of tulips maybe on the table. White ones. See how less is more? How is your daughter enjoying all new space?! Good job!
  • 8 years ago
    We’re all loving it!! So comfy and tons of space for her to run around. She loves her new toy box.. it’s fun to open and close the lid apparently lol! I’ll definitely get some white tulips

    Next is a floor lamp, new curtains, and figuring out what to do above the tv and beside the front door. I can’t stand it being completely blank.

    I also need to figure something out for my coffee bar.. it’s looking very cluttered.
  • 8 years ago
    Also going to move the shades up in the dining room, and I’m thinking about doing the same window treatment in the living room