Software
Houzz Logo Print
carladr

BM Navajo White walls with Super White trim

8 years ago

I have BM Super White trim throughout my home and am repainting my walls to more of a neutral color (from an existing red accent wall and a more yellow color). Will BM Navajo work with the Super White? I'd rather not repaint the trim.

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Mixing whites is very tricky, as they all have an underlying color, which may or may not be compatible. Navajo White is going to appear yellow next to Super White. Is that the look you want? If you want the trim and walls to appear the same, then paint the walls Super White. If you want a contrast, then paint the walls a more saturated color.

    Another point to keep in mind is that if you painted the trim a while ago, it may have oxidized and the fresh paint on the walls may not look the same. In addition, even using the same color in a different finish will add a dimension to the color. I'd go with the same white on the walls and the trim.

    carladr thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 8 years ago

    I am looking for an off white, not wanting to match the trim. We are rented our home with the existing furniture so wanting something neutral but not stark white on the walls.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Lori Sawaya is a color expert--maybe she will comment here and offer a solution for you?

    carladr thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 8 years ago

    I did my last house with BM Monterey White and bright white trim. I wanted just enough color so the trim would pop. I thought it looked good.

    carladr thanked deegw
  • 8 years ago

    I'm not committed to Navajo White, just would like an off-white neutral that won't look dirty with Super White trim. I have a goldish brown sofa, orangey oak floors, granite with santa cecelia colorings that will be staying.

  • 8 years ago

    Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this so well!

  • 8 years ago

    Do you have any pictures I’m thinking Of SW Navajo white with our existing trim.

  • 8 years ago

    It was Benjamin Moore Navajo White that I was considering but then we got new blinds and I am back to square one.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    My entire house is bm Navajo white with bright white trim (the trim is oil so it reads warm). I like it, the walls are a warm neutral. Sw Navajo white is very yellow. Made that mistake once...
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    All my ceilings are SW Navajo white. My 2 spare bedrooms, laundry room and all 3 bathrooms have walls and the ceiling that are Navajo white sw with extra white trim/doors. My kitchen and bathroom cabinets are Dover white we painted those in 2016. I’m thinking about painting my den, dining room and Kitchen in either sw Navajo white or a tan/beige that will go with the Navajo white ceilings. Is the all white look popular right now? Is that too much white and I need a color? Lori do you have a recommendation on a color I could try. I’ve been considering kilm beige, accessible beige or Manchester tan. The SW NW does not look yellowish on my ceilings, bedrooms or laundry room. It does have a very slight yellow tint in the bathrooms due to lighting. Thanks for any help!

  • 8 years ago

    https://laurelberninteriors.com/2015/03/22/the-only-six-white-paint-trim-colors-youll-need/ Scroll thru and near the end is a pallette explaining the strengths of each of the tones of white. This should help you?

  • 8 years ago

    Oh also, if you use an eggshell sheen on the walls and a satin sheen on the trim(if you do the trim)in the SAME color white, they will show totally different in lighting. It's the optical trick of all time. I like at least an eggshell on the walls, if not a satin, and than a semi gloss on the wood trim. It depends on how much you need to wipe your walls/woodwork -- due to fingerprints or youngsters in the house... LOL

  • 7 years ago

    Navajo White is ideal for north-facing rooms as it doesn't gray out in the cold light. I used Super White for my trim and it's perfect, just enough brighter to give the NW a hint of creaminess.