Software
Houzz Logo Print
kyancey32

Open Bathroom Closet

8 years ago
Why is this closest so hard to style?! Help! I don’t love the design of this open closet but this is what I’m stuck with in our new home. I’ve moved baskets, things around at least a hundred times and it’s still off. I tend to be a perfectionist and tried to make more open spaces but something is still off?! Ive taken out the darker baskets and added more white and keep trying different things but am still not happy with the outcome. I like modern, glam, boho, Midcentury and at this point I don’t even know what this is?!:) I like the gold open baskets but don’t love too much stuff showing. I want it to look organized, functional yet cute! Any ideas would be appreciated as finding baskets has been difficult and I don’t want to spend thousands on baskets!

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    How about adding a picture frame on the second shelf on the right and elminating that basket? I saw the towels on the floor - you could try those on the bottom right third shelf (I was thinking maybe towels of a different color might help?). A small fake plant somewhere maybe? It is coming together nicely

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I love what you've got going on so far. Do you use the towels in the basket or are those just for display? - if you use them I think I would display those folded/rolled on a shelf -- make them look purposeful. I agree, a frame of some sort to add more interest. How about a hook for your towel like this? - or something similar, but something you can see when a towel is hung.

  • 8 years ago

    Both configurations look great, I think I like the 2nd one best. You've done a nice job by sticking with just 2 or 3 types of storage I probably wouldn't keep the towels on the floor. Keep them rolled and place on a shelf. I like classichomes idea of putting a framed photo in there or perhaps a small piece of art.

  • 8 years ago

    That would drive me nuts. My husband can’t find anything in the refrigerator or cabinets when it’s staring him in the face, so I can’t imagine letting him loose among bins and baskets. No way would he take the time to properly line up those baskets after he was through. I’d have to call a carpenter and have that space made into a real closet if that were in my bathroom.

  • 8 years ago

    If you plan to keep it an open closet, I would lose the symmetry - but that's just me. I agree that there are too many baskets. Towels that aren't white folded on a shelf and a couple of decorative items might make it more appealing to you.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You could glam the space up with wallpaper.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    This thread is exactly why I prefer a door on my bathroom closet! I don't want to have to remember which bin had the aspirin or lord knows what else! It would drive me nuts! There's a reason bathroom closets traditionally have doors on them. It's not a boutique with a display - it's my bathroom!

  • 8 years ago

    I'm not sure why you are "stuck" with what you have, I gained a somewhat similar nook in my bathroom after ripping out the existing shallow closet and adding to it the small hallway linen closet behind it in order to create one larger space and a 3' pocket door to my bath; the new space is left 'open' on top to increase the visual space of my small bathroom. A light fixture matching the console sink's light is already in place (Console = no storage) and a 28" deep 3 drawer cabinet for storage with mirror above is planned.. The point being should you tire of open shelving you could add doors as Anglophilia prefers, or a tall cabinet with doors, a vanity height cab with drawers and counter with art, mirror, or medicine cab above or close it off and make a closet accessed from the hall (if possible.) Remembering where things are with baskets wouldn't bother me but the dust in my bath with open shelves or baskets would. Also, I think what you have is attractive if it provides sufficient storage, but open shelving might not be practical if you need to store a lot. Good luck!.

  • 8 years ago

    I turned my old shower into a linen closet by adding (get this) a door!

    You can also use a tension rod and add a curtain over the area. Make sure the curtain is twice as wide as the opening so it doesn't hang flat.


  • 8 years ago

    Your closet looks not very useful. Like you could fit twice as much in there but you're trying to make it look just right. To me closets need to be organized but mostly useful.

  • 8 years ago

    I would put towels and anything that will be used on the shelves instead of trying to decorate it. You can always have a couple of baskets etc but I would want to actually make the space useful vs. decorated. Also, you can always put a tension rod and curtain to hide the stuff you put in there.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Done a good job so far.

    I would put the top dark baskets on the dark floor to blend away. Keep the light color items on top shelf to blend away & not look too bulky up there.

    Add a high quality decor plant with white petals at top. A black & white picture.

    Mostly used items middle easy reach.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    A lot of cool video tutorials on decorating /styling shelving.

    Here's a few to get started. Have fun.

    https://youtu.be/zMY0vIP00N0

    https://youtu.be/Jh2MUmgQthM