jannhehn

Inhaus Sono Flooring

jannhehn

I have a designer recommending this product. I am unable to locate reviews. Has anyone used this flooring? I have two GSD's, horses, we are extremely active and a floor that can hold up to our needs is important. We can NOT afford tile.

• sierra400

MaryAnn—not yet. We have taken a hiatus. But my favorites so far are Karndean Korlok and SUPERCore. Have you?

• danandthres

Just had my installer of the Michigan Oak tell me to look for another flooring option. He had come back to replace a few planks that were cracking on the end. We love the floor otherwise but taking his lead to go another direction since he is covering the bill (very grateful for an installer with integrity). I do think it was an installation problem from pushing together to hard or not allowing a gap at the edge. However, it seems to reveal an overall weakness in the material. The above certainly confirms that. Thanks all.

Need fireplace, tv, storage and floor color help!

I just refaced my brick fireplace. I'm getting ready to put in a poplar wood mantel with simple straight lines, wraparound with shelving to the right of the fireplace. I'm switching out my center speaker for a Sonos power bar which will be mounted directly below the tv and above the mantel. I've added photos before and after but before mantel :) For your fireplace, I would bring brick up to ceiling. I would get a tv that is smaller than the fireplace brick leaving at least 4" on the sides. The mantel should be 8-12inches above the fireplace and you could use a similar beam as your ceiling. I would take the mantel all the way to the end of the brick. I would have a mantel about 4-6" deep and up to 8-10" hight.

Ugly bathroom-ideas needed for budget friendly redo

Have you priced a new tub and toilet? Vanity? Sliding doors for tub? Plumbing?

New hardwood floor popping all over

Ohhhh this is getting interesting. Could be OSB...(but shouldn't be). Could be particle board (and should NEVER be). An inspection is really, really, really needed. and quick before the contractor's warranty runs out (s/he did offer some sort of warranty on work...didn't they?). And 8 days is NOT ENOUGH for 5" solid 3/4" hardwood. In winter you can be looking at 2-3 weeks OR MORE...moisture readings are the ONLY way a floor layer can be sure if something is "ready" or not. He did use a professional hardwood flooring installer, didn't he? For that nice big fat chunk of change that a pro hardwood installer charges? Didn't he? Probably not.

Help Transforming my Fireplace

I would opt for the easy project.......paint the brick. Build a new thicker mantle. Add a layer of brick paving to the hearth, but keep it a low hearth.
  • danandthres

Had a long conversation with a local retailer who has installed the SONO. He said it took a few installs to figure out how to get the SONO to click properly. He was instructed by the InHaus rep to use a roller on the corners to get them to seat. I don’t understand this but he has had good luck since. He did say that the product does chip on the surface when something is dropped on it. He mentioned that they upped the ceramic content at beginning of 2018 to help with that issue. Overall he still stood by the product and said that InHaus was a great company. Despite our concern with VOCs we are now pursuing Coretec as a replacement. Too concerned about the above and long term although it was tempting to stick with the SONO.

• jannhehn
    Seams were smooth, they snapped together, after a time the seams fail to stay together. Lots of corner chips, in the middle of plank chips, breaking at seams...
  • Dan

I have this product installed in a kitchen/living room, and I would advise picking out a different product . The flooring is very slick, feels like plastic when you walk on it, and is very brittle. My cabinet installer damaged a section of the flooring because it gouges really easy. The display boards look substantial and thick, but the actual product is extremely thin and cheap feeling.If I had it to do over I would use something other than this flooring. I'm very disappointed in the product, and not very confident that it will last very long. Steer clear of Sono.

• jannhehn
    Dan,
    I’m sorry to hear. I’m waiting to hear back from Sono.
    Even something as simple as sliding a chair across the floor scratched it. I am so disappointed in it.
  • Bluzette Carline

Hello- i am trying to find out how others have dealt with the chipping issues of the Sono vinyl plank product. I have had installed for 3 months now and as days go by I continue to see chips that I think are debris until I try to clean and realize it is a chip in the top surface.

pls help.

• jannhehn
    Inhaus trying to say that my product lot is not one of the problem lots.
    I’m still struggling, more and more chips and easily scratches.
    My recommendation is contact the company you bought the floor from and start your chain of command. There is no way to stop it.

Hello I am signing up on this thread due to the same issues with the Sono flooring, contracted an install in april 2018 and now have cracks in multiple areas, as well as gaps that seem to "reclick" the locking areas when stepped on. Our contractor followed the subflooring guidelines as well as the slope. Would be interested in feedback on what steps people took with those who contracted install, did you just work with your contractor who then got with Inhaus? I want to change flooring dearly I only see more cracks down the road. Thank you in advance for any guidance.

• jannhehn
    Hello,
    Still have no resolution. We installed ourselves, they (Inhaus) is stating that our lot number isn’t one that has a problem. However, when you order multiple boxes, perhaps they are not all the same lot number?
    It scratches easily, multiple chips, corners don’t stay locked in, some planks don’t stay locked together.
    Hate this floor!

Im sorry to hear no resolution, have you thought about pursuing legal recourse? Sounds like it may be our only option to get this resolved. Im leaning that direction.

• jannhehn
    I discovered this today.
  • SJ McCarthy

What is it that you are trying to capture in the photo?

• shenurse318
    Jannhenn.. unfortunately it gets worse with the Sono INHAUS flooring. I pray that you recover your money on this purchase. I was fortunate that RC. Wiley refunded my entire cost with this flooring. I’m just waiting before I start this flooring project again. Good Luck
  • jannhehn
    Noticed today.
    Apparently I’m not able to move furniture without it damaging the floor to clean underneath. The other one is right next to a world where there is absolutely no foot traffic.
    Nothing from Inhaus
  • jannhehn
    Should have said “wall” not world.
  • jannhehn
    We are getting new flooring.
    Inhaus approved the distribution center to give us a different brand.
    Yay!
    This product is defective. The retailer is no longer carrying it.
  • Raven Smith

I hope their laminate is better. Just ordered some last night :/

• Kitty Lanier

SuperCORE SPC plank is worth a look at WeShipFloors.com. It is a limestone polymer composite. It is available in a 12mil, 20mil, and a 30mil wear layer. Each of those comes in several colors. They have a YouTube channel that has videos showing the different colors and also comparing two or more colors. I have ordered samples and like what I see. Yesterday we ordered a full box of our first choice, Krypton. If we like it as well as the samples we will install 1600 sq. ft. in our home.

I suggest reading the info on SuperCORE 101 on the website. If you have questions, call the number listed on the website. They are super helpful and very friendly folks in Tennessee.

There is a huge forum here on Houzz—Adura Max versus Coretec—that has 2,000+ comments and is a wealth of info on SuperCORE.

Best of luck to all of you who have had such terrible problems with your flooring.

• Lynne Dixon

After much research, we had Sono Pemberton Oak flooring installed last summer on our entire main floor (plywood subfloor) to replace engineered hardwoods that had been damaged by a dishwasher leak. We loved the look of the floor, as it went well with our dark cherry wood work. The installer really liked the product overall and said it went in easily. .

Unfortunately, after a couple of months of very light traffic on the flooring, we started experiencing problems with boards splitting. In our study, under a protective desk mat a board split and then splintered and another in an area in between an eating area and family room split “down the grain” of two boards. The installer replaced those boards per instructions from Sono on how to replace in floor boards without pulling up the entire floor. Shortly after those were replaced, I started finding more splits. So far, I have found an additional twelve splits. They all are the same — approximately 1/8” - 1/4“ from the edge of the board and starting at the end. Sometimes it will run through the abutting board, sometimes not. Most are in low to no traffic areas.

The Sono rep came out today to inspect and told me he needs the actual broken boards removed to tell anything. They have to be removed a certain way, so the lab can determine what happened and he needs fto be able to see the make-up of the butt joints. He requested that the boards be kept together, so he can see how they clip together. They also will check the underlayment and density of the pad to make sure it meets the specifications. The pad was sent with the flooring and I presume selected according to the specs by the store rep. I am hoping the installers still have the split boards they already replaced.

When they replaced the first two damaged boards, Sono had told them the pad has to be solid underneath with no gaps. IN our case, it was. So, that didn’t explain why the boards split.

And, yes, I have noticed an issue with “chipping” or “pitting” of this floor. I bought a furniture stain marker to fill them in as I find them.

The rep did tell me that this floor is like tile and cannot be installed using a rubber mallet and should just snap in pushing with your thumb. He says the biggest problem he sees is installers not reading directions. But I am now hearing from a number of installers that they don’t recommend this product any longer and that the store that sold it to me is no longer installing it. The installers are coming out in the morning to try and replace the other split boards. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue. It is a beautiful floor but I am very disappointed in the overall quality and durability.

Verticle split on board to right of end joint

Green post it note marks where there is a split.

• jannhehn
    @Lynne
    I hate to say this, it will not get better. I found chips in places there was no traffic!
    Seams breaking, we had approved underlayment. The company ( InHaus) has agreed to reimburse the distributor.
    Retailer is no longer selling. Call Inhaus directly in Canada.
  • shenurse318
    The Sono Inhaus flooring is crap. I have never seen a floor crack, split and fall apart 1 month in after installation. The worst of laminate flooring is way better than Sono.
  • jannhehn
    @shenurse, What flooring did you end up putting in?
  • shenurse318
    I haven’t decided jannhehn... I guess when this Sono flooring has completely crack and break up, I will have to choose something. For now I just take floor rugs to throw over those areas
  • D Blags

Under no circumstances, do I recommend that anyone purchase Sono flooring. The Abberville Hickory Sono floor was installed in ~800 square feet area which covered my entire first floor in April 2018. Within 2 weeks, the floor had problems, from compression issues to where it seemed like you were walking on air pockets to the seams splitting. It took months for my contractor to do their part to try to address the issues. At one point, they realized they needed to work with their supplier and manufacturer to understand what was causing the problem. They then took months to have the supplier come out to look at the floor. After following the supplier/mfgr’s proposed solutions to turn up the heat in the house for weeks which would relax the floor to removing the baseboards on my entire first floor (they are still removed by the way). Neither of those solutions changed anything so then they recommended pulling out a problem area of the floor to ensure the floor was level only to find out that it was. After pulling up a significant part of the floor, the contractors replaced/reinstalled the floor and the problem returned within weeks. There I was back “walking on air pockets.”

After months and months, Sono hired a floor inspector to come out in January 2019. I received his report via my contractor about 6 weeks later (after telling us had to submit it within 5 days) only to find out that he did a horrible job. He misrepresented things, called out things that had nothing to do with the floor issues, and ultimately said there was nothing wrong with the floor. He ignored what I had to say about the problem areas and pointed out the area that was replaced and mentioned that it had a different sheen. The problem with what he said about the replaced floor was that it wasn’t the area that had been replaced. But he did raise another issue with this horrible floor, which was the variance in sheens. The planks have different sheens from one area to the next.

It has now been a year since I've been dealing with these problems, and I still have no resolution on the floor. It continues to feel like you are walking on air pockets, and those air pockets continue to grow every day and, seams continue to split, and my baseboards still lay in my garage, waiting to be installed. My contractor says they are waiting on response from Inhaus. Last September, I kidded my contractor that it was going to be Christmas before the floor issue would be resolved. Little did I know how wrong I was.

I will settle for nothing less than a complete refund and when I get it, I plan to run as far as I can from Sono products. I don’t know why my issue is taking so long to resolve as it appears by the other posts, Sono issued refunds in a respectable amount of time. If anyone has any recommendations as to what I should do and whether I should contact the manufacturer directly, let me know.

Inhaus Flooring

Hi @dblags. Thank you for writing in your concerns. We sincerely appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. We are sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience with your SONO purchase. We strive to have our customers be 100% satisfied with our products and after purchase experience and clearly we have not met your needs. We would also like to apologize for the length of time it has taken to resolve your issue. We have a process in place whereby we work closely with our distributors and local retailers to solve problems such as yours. Unfortunately, we have collectively failed at meeting your expectations of a timely and effective solution. We will use your feedback as an opportunity to review and improve our procedures. We would like to speak with you directly to discuss your experience in detail and help resolve the issue the best way we can.

Please contact us at 1-888-255-3412 at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,

Inhaus Customer Support

• jannhehn
    @DBlags, please contact the number given. They are wonderful at their HQ.
    Inhaus Flooring

@jannhehn, Thank you for the positive feedback!

Inhaus Flooring

Thank you,

Inhaus Customer Support

D Blags, please make sure your documentation is in order, I have had something in process coming up on a year and have still yet to receive reimbursement from contractor/distributor/inhaus, (even after all inspections etc.) not sure if this will go to court or not. But we all need to be prepared.

• D Blags

@Inhaus. Thank you for your timely response. I will call you today and also advise the contractor to do the same. @HU_539279716 and @janhehn, thank you for the recommendations.

Wanted to follow up cashed first major check finally today from inhaus, now 300 sitting out there to finally get. They did give money back, it was a long process but we did get refunded and wanted to recognize that.

• Debbie Blagsvedt

It's been a few weeks since my post but I just have to say that Inhaus, and especially
    Victoria Repchuk has been fantastic. When I called them, Victoria was already familiar with my case and advised that a full refund had already been approved. Once again, it was the supplier/contractor who had dropped the ball. My dealings with her have been nothing short of excellent, her customer service skills are outstanding, and this year long nightmare, I'm convinced, would have had much less stress, angst, and delays if I had connected with her earlier. It's too bad Inhaus/Sono flooring doesn't live up to Vicky qualities. Even though we are working out some final details, I have no doubt that Vicky will see it through as fast as she can. Thank you, Vicky, for all your assistance and excellent follow-through.

• Ben Morgan

I am just about to install this. This discussion has me concerned but I don't really have time to turn back now. how can I tell when my product was manufactured? I want to know because it sounds like the product was improved with more ceramic content. also the supplier gave me the S-1841 underlayment. they said they were having issues with the Omnichoice underlayment so the S-1841 is the new recommended underlayment

• shenurse318

Don’t do it Ben Morgan... Sono Inhaus is a failed product line.

• jannhehn

I highly doubt mine had anything to do with underlayment.

• Ben Morgan

supplier said the Omnichoice is not dense enough. as a previous guy said, subfloor prep is key. I hope mine is good enough. I put a new subfloor down (Advantech 3/4 tongue and groove) on top of my old 1/2 5ply subfloor. screwed down per Advantech instructions into the joists. so, if I have problems its not due to poor subfloor. I will report back later once it has time to be walked on

• jannhehn

My floor scratched, chipped and broke at seams.

I do not know the brand of underlayment.

My floor has since been removed.

• D Blags

I agree with the above I would do whatever you could not to install the floor. My floor was installed in April 2018 and had immediate issuses.issues. My floor, cement slab, was perfectly even.

• Christopher Worthy

Was trying to decide between this Sono Inhauss flooring and the Next Floor Monumental for my sunroom.

This product, (Sono) from Germany is new to me, and I’ve never heard of it. Guess I’ll look at another product for now.

Inhaus Flooring

Hi @BenMorgan

Thank you for your recent SONO purchase, your satisfaction with your new floor is our number one priority and we understand your concerns. We assure you that SONO has been successfully installed in thousands of homes across North America and Europe and we are confident in its lasting performance. You're correct that subfloor preparation is key to the performance of a floating floor like SONO, and your installation of the Advantech subfloor is a great step. S-1841 is an approved underlay and will work with SONO in residential applications; if you have any questions about it please contact our technical department as they'll be able to answer them for you. To help with the installation process, we've recently highlighted best practices on videos available on our website https://www.inhaussurfaces.com/support. These could help you get started with your project.

We would be happy to address any additional concerns or questions you may have, please call us at 1.888.255.3412.

Thank you,

Inhaus Customer Support

• Ben Morgan

@Inhaus Flooring

Things are looking great so far.

• Ben Morgan

after installing this in 3 rooms are can certainly say my thumbs are sore from pushing down the short side joint. some were easy but most were very difficult to fully engage. after handling a lot of the product I can see where it may fail and that is the edges that are part of the joints. the product is very thin there. I think inhaus makes not of this and that is why a flat, strong subfloor, approved underlayment, and a fully engaged product are key. time will tell the success of my efforts. fingers crossed

• earthpal

It's been almost three months since we had Michigan Oak installed by professional installers. Our cats have thoroughly tested it in their many runs and slides around our living room/dining room/hallway and stairs. There are some planks that look like something was smeared on it but I can't feel anything when I touch the spots. It does show things like cat hair and litter bits but about 30 minutes of sweeping keep it clean. We do a slightly damp cloth using a water/vinegar mix on it every couple weeks to remove the dirt buildup. Our subfloor is good but not perfect either. I don't know why other commenters have had the problems they've shared. We have a short tread on our stairs and it is a bit slick there but otherwise we've been ok with this product.

Inhaus Flooring

@earthpal, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your purchase, we are so happy to hear that you (and your cats) are enjoying your SONO floor!

• KP

What is the best way to clean Sono ceramin flooring, besides or after sweeping and/or dry Swiffering? It is waterproof, but I don‘t feel like I can mop it like traditional ceramic tile. Wishing I had done full on ceramic or porcelain wood looking planks. Bona laminate spray cleaner is okay, but a pain and tedious to apply. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Inhaus Flooring

Hi @KP.

Thank you for writing in your question. SONO is waterproof but we do not recommend wet mopping or steam cleaning as this could result in moisture becoming trapped between the flooring and sub floor.

For daily cleaning, use a dust mop or a vacuum with a hard surface attachment to remove dust, loose dirt or debris. For a more thorough cleaning, where a cleaning solution may be required, use a water-based floor cleaner. Laminate flooring cleaners are good options for SONO as they don't contain waxes or finishes that will build up over time.

Alternatively, you can make your own natural cleaner by combining 1 cup of vinegar to 1 gallon of warm water, or 1/3 cup of ammonia to 1 gallon of warm water. We recommend putting these solutions into a spray bottle and misting onto small sections of the floor at a time, then wiping them up before moving onto other parts.

To remove stubborn or oil-based stains, dip a cotton cloth into acetone (nail polish remover) and gently rub the stained area, then wipe clean. Abrasive cleaners should not be used as they could damage SONO planks beyond repair.

If you have further questions regarding care & maintenance of your SONO floor, you can visit our website in the support section https://www.inhaussurfaces.com/support or contact us directly 888.864.4520.

Thank you,

Inhaus Customer Support

• weildish

We had this installed in a new house, and this SONO flooring has been complete garbage. Seriously-- if we had plastered garbage on the subfloor, we would have had better results.

This floor will scratch and dent as soon as you look at it. It's softer than a baby's bottom, and less forgiving. Doesn't matter if you add pads to all your furniture, take off your shoes before walking on it, or sweep every day. Or fence it off and just look at it. The crap underneath the top layer is just white. Since the top layer is printed on and is probably a millimeter thick or so, maybe less, every scratch and dent sticks out like a sore thumb, especially for us with darker floors.

We've also had some spots that have actually cracked and erurped, leaving either large bumps in the floor or huge craters of just white crap underneath. No clue why-- it happened gradually over time and was not the result of anything dropped or dragged across the floor.

When it was sold to us, we were told it was ceramic, but what we weren't told is that it's a ceramic composite-- it's actually just a plastic. Don't be fooled-- it's not the really nice and sturdy ceramic tile stuff.

Apparently it sucks so bad that there is some kind of filler you can get to fill in the scratches and dents. I contacted Inhaus about it since I could use a few gallons with all the scratches we have, but I never got a response.

We will be contacting our installer and Inhaus to rectify this situation. I can't see any way this could be fixed without throwing out this garbage and replacing it all with something that will actually last five minutes.

Should they have good business practices and make this right, I will update this to state as much. Until then, stay as far away from SONO as you can. I wouldn't touch it with a thirty foot pole.

• jannhehn

@ Weildish
    I am so sorry that you had the same experience as we did. Inhaus was extremely helpful, thank goodness!
    The local distributor replaced with a different product, and Inhaus paid to have the old product removed and new product installed.

Have you called Canada? I don’t know at what point they’re going to quit being helpful if they continue to have so many problems with this garbage product.

• weildish

@jannhehn Thanks for that. That's good to hear.

I was able to get a hold of Inhaus customer service this morning, and so far they have been very helpful. We still need to work through the installer and distributor, of course, but they said they will let the distributor know that a claim should be incoming from our installer so as to speed up the process. Crossing my fingers (and toes).