0

Concerned about no-show dahlias

clairegrosh
last modified: June 8, 2018

Hi there,

I am wondering if I should give up hope on two dahlia tubers I planted in my garden at the end of April. The eight other tubers I planted at the same time are all up and growing, including one that was shriveled and nearly dead when I planted it due to my inexpert winter storage technique. However, these two no-show dahlias were healthy looking tubers with live eyes (part of a nice-looking order from Dahlia Barn I received this spring) when I planted them. Is it too late to expect them to sprout, do you think?

The tubers in question are of the 'Day Dreamer' and 'My Little Sunshine' varieties, if it matters. The soil was pretty dry when I planted, (it had been a really dry April here) but I followed the directions that came with my order and did not give additional water to any of the tubers I planted.

Thanks for any feedback you can give! I am pretty new to dahlias, and the ones that have come up look so good that I am wondering what could've happened to these other two.

--Claire

Edited to add: I am located in zone 7B, in Maryland.