Software
Houzz Logo Print
kazmom1

Dish drawer organizer help

8 years ago

I am going to be keeping my dishes in a drawer and had intended to get a peg board organizer, however none I can find will work for my drawer. I got a 4 drawer stack for my dishes in order to avoid having to stack small plates on large ones or doing single layers and having a lot of excess ”air space” above the dishes. My dishes fit fine in the shallow drawer but the pegboards all have pegs too high for the drawer to close. I could probably cut them down but rather just buy something that works if possible. any suggestions??

Comments (17)

  • 8 years ago

    Bump

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    While I do not have my dishes in drawers, but since no one is responding, I'll respond that I have seen this question on here before, and the consensus is that you don't need pegs at all. Especially if you put some liner on the drawer bottom (cut to fit well) like Cushy Cupboards (expensive), Life Liner (sold at BB&B), or Duck Liner (on Amazon).

    kazmom thanked friedajune
  • 8 years ago

    Peg board organizers seem like a good idea but the one I had in my dish drawer wasted space because the pegs were quite big. Also the board added a fair amount of weight to the drawer. Here’s how it looked before I removed it

    With soft close drawers and right drawer liner you really don’t need the peg system. The dishes don’t slide around. Here is a link to some discussion on drawer organizers

    https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2467048/peg-dividers-in-base-drawyers-yes-or-no

    kazmom thanked badgergal
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks to both of you. I will read the links and look into a drawer liner!

  • 8 years ago

    I keep my dishes in a drawer with no pegs and no liner. It works just fine.

    kazmom thanked suzanne_sl
  • 8 years ago

    Hi strob06 : ) I was going to use DIY peg organizers in the new kitchen, but have since decided against it. In the old kitchen I had heavy wood ROTS DH made that did not have soft close, and kept glasses in one drawer, dishes and bowls in two others. I simply lined them with THIS, and never had a dish move on me, or a glass break no matter how it was closed (I get in a hurry at times!). I also think they take up too much space. They look nice, but honestly it's a cleaner look and more functional without them.

    kazmom thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I was going to do pegs also, but I found a thick webbed drawer liner that really helps to keep the dishes in place so I didn't really need the pegs at all.

    kazmom thanked Kirkarch
  • 8 years ago
    I have two drawers of dishes — no pegs and no problems!
    kazmom thanked Ruth Ann Widner
  • 8 years ago

    I'm willing to bet Wood Hollow would custom make exactly what you need.

  • 8 years ago

    Nhbaskets - they will but their pegs are large. Based on the feedback here I think I am going to try it with just a drawer liner and see how that works.

  • 8 years ago

    My drawers are 10"D x 30"W. With pegs, I still fit service for 12 of my everyday dishes.


    kazmom thanked nhbaskets
  • 8 years ago
    Have you looked on the Container store website? They have tons of different peg (and other) solutions.
    kazmom thanked K R
  • 8 years ago

    Ikea also has a cushioned liner, which I've used with very good success and no movement : ) .

    kazmom thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • 8 years ago

    chispa, I think the soft close will be such a wonderful addition too! Also, I'm getting one of THESE for many of my knives, or something similar. Actually need 2!

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks guys! I put the dishes away this weekend (YAY!) and just put them in with no organizer or liner. They are fine for now, but I am sure when we are back in the kitchen fully and the kids are opening and closing the drawer they will rattle them some! I am going to start with a cushy half liner and if that doesn’t work look at other options, either pegs or something else. Hopefully the shelf liner is all I need.

    Chispa - I would LOVE a knife block in a drawer! I don’t think I have enough drawers for one though. :-(

  • 8 years ago

    I also have my dishes in drawers..... no liner, no pegs. It’s been over 2 years and I don’t feel there is any reason to change. Even if the drawer is closed a little too hard, the soft close feature keeps the dishes from moving around too much.

    kazmom thanked sherri1058