Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lbly1

need help picking paint colors for island/open floor plan

lbly1
5 years ago
Hi

I am in the process of designing our new home build. The first floor is all open. I have selected BM simply white for the kitchen cabinets and need help with island and surrounding wall color.

We have black and chrome fixtures going on in the open concept. I am really liking the greige look. Since simply white is more of a cooler color was thinking I would need a greige with warmer undertones.

Thought on a greige island color that looks good with grays and whites?

I was thinking of doing agreeable gray for walls and maybe pewter tankard for island? Appreciate suggestions/help!

Comments (2)

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Skip the 2015 old newsprint look and pick some real colors. And hire a Pro.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

I think what Sophie means is that the gray black and white trend is on its deathbed and you might want to think about using some color, or at least some neutrals that won’t scream 20-teens in five years when they are out of style. There are a LOT of posts on these forums from people who chose gray finishes and then are surprised to find that their rooms feel dark, or colorless, or boring, or cold, and a lot of colors just don’t work with them. Once the cabinets, counters, and floors are in, you’re kind of stuck with them for a long time. Honestly, some of the photos posted for help, I would have sworn were black and white photos

That said, if you have looked at a lot of kitchens and you love gray on gray and are not just seduced by the images we’ve all be bombarded with over the past few years, go for it.

I haven’t personally used Simply White but I’ve heard it described as a warm white, and also as a stark white. Depends on your light and the colors around it. Grays also come in a lot of different flavors, and can be blue-ish, greenish, taupe-ish, so how they work with any particular greige (also variable) depends on which colors you’re comparing. Sorry if this is really vague. Pick a few greige and grays that you think you’d like to work with and compare painted swatches (on poster board at least a foot square) side by side. In natural light and artificial light at different times of day. Post photos of the comparisons for opinions.

Also include photos of your counter, backsplash, and floor materials. You can always repaint the walls if they’re not working, but once your island is painted, not so easy to fix. Choose paint last.