Software
Houzz Logo Print
megan_white96

which backsplash?

8 years ago
Which backsplash do you like best?
This isn't my kitchen but I have the same cabinets and am having the same counter being installed on Wednesday. I cannot decide on a backsplash, I like them all!

Comments (37)

  • 8 years ago

    My preference is also far left. The middle one is a weirdly chunky version of herringbone. The right one (like Bri Bosh said) will always read a bit bathroom in that size. At least in my eyes.

  • 8 years ago

    Wanted to add that I think the left one will lend itself to ending in corners very nicely because of the straight edge.

  • 8 years ago
    Oh yes I see what you mean about the bathroom thing! I really like the look of heringbone pattern and I couldn't figure out what was putting me off about the middle one and now I'm thinking it's the chunkiness as you say. I wonder if I should consider long subway tiles in a heringbone pattern instead. if I went that route what colour would you suggest with that cabinet/counter combo?
  • 8 years ago
    Nice options! I also like the far left - over subway tiles too- but if you do go that route, a patterned design in herringbone would be more interesting than horizontal
  • 8 years ago

    I would advise people to stay away from contrasting colors in back splash tiles although a slight variation in tone might be OK. The reason is that people, as they get older, can become very sensitive visually to zig-zaggy patterns in contrasting or bright colors. It is a good idea for young people to plan ahead and not install something that will be irritating, inconvenient, or unsafe for themselves in their later years or for older family members.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    "young people to plan ahead and not install something that will be irritating, inconvenient, or unsafe for themselves in their later years"

    seriously sheila? So someone who is 25 or 30, shouldn't have a pattern like that because when they hit 65-70, they possibly will be irritated or unsafe, (a backsplash unsafe?) by the movement? . most young people aren't in their forever house. I say, 'live on the wild side and have pattern and color in your life'

    Megan, all of your choices are fine. the far right is a little overdone, but it's doable. The middle one is nice because it's different, and seldom used.

    Your left one will look like this:

    The Hex:

    If you like the hex design, then mix it up and do something w/the crackle glass. there are tons of diff colors and blends they offer w/this design

    Encore Ceramics,

    does it have to be a marble backsplash? what about something w/some color?

    Encore ceramics,,,above, Rain blend in the Chevron crackle.

    Tilebar.com Esplanade.

    Megan White thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago
    Beth, could you provide the source of the backsplash tile for the second to last photograph (the circular design)?
  • 8 years ago
    @sheilaskb interesting feedback! I never would have thought of that thank you!
  • 8 years ago
    Beth H. Did you remove your post? Still would like to know more about that circular backsplash. :)
  • 8 years ago

    indigo, no,it's there. I posted a comment right above this w/some links.

  • 8 years ago

    subway tiles installed in a herringbone pattern look nice.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I kind of like the middle one, but definitely not the hex.

  • 8 years ago
    I like the middle on ,too...the color is better with your cabinets and the pattern is a more dramatic and fresh variation on that style....without looking trendy....it may be a little bold for you .....but I agree with Beth ...they all will work
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The far left is very nice. Here are some of our kitchen designs for some more ideas as well.

    Daniels Lane · More Info


    Hamptons Hideaway · More Info

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    i'd like the one on the left the longest. and hex tile is bathroom floor for me no matter where else someone else puts it. maybe because i have 4 bathroom floors that are hex tile....

  • 8 years ago

    @Beth H. - I for some reason just saw your post now, it was missing earlier, thank you very much for the feedback! I really like the encore ceramics rain blend, I'm going to look into that one.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    oh thanks megan. I thought you didn't like the choices so you were ignoring them. Encore has some gorgeous blends, shapes and styles. I love the rain and think it would be the perfect compliment to all the white in your kitchen.

    you could also do something like this, w/the rain where the tan is.

    all of these are custom. you can put together any color, crackle, or shape you want.

  • 8 years ago

    When saw Beth's photo I thought of your hardware - is it rounded, or straight lined?

  • 8 years ago

    I like herringbone but make sure your installer is up to the task. Lately on here there have been some really bad herringbone attempts...

  • 8 years ago
    for more context a pic of my floors below. we're still mid reno so ignore counter on island. (it's my old one just sitting there temporarily.) I think the rain blend would go nicely but I checked the website and it looks like they only ship to US and I'm in Canada :-(
  • 8 years ago
    @Molly D - yes I've seen some of those posts and have a bit of anxiety over that now!
  • 8 years ago
    @everdebz hardware is straight!
  • 8 years ago

    Megan,,,look at tilebar.com. I know they will ship. they don't have a rain crackle, but they have a lot of other very nice, seldom over-used, tiles.

  • 8 years ago
    Ooooh..... I love the floors...are they wood ?...
  • 8 years ago
    @ritasj Thank you for saying that! I was really uncertain about them at first but they are growing on me. I wanted light floors but when i actually got them I found it to be an overwhelming change from my previous very dark floors. but no they're aren't wood they are laminate. I'll do real wood one day! right now we have two rough and tumble little boys and plan on getting a dog one day and so I actually like the durability of the laminate.
  • 8 years ago
    @Beth thank you! I will check them out. thanks so much for opening my eyes to some other options!
  • 8 years ago
    I love this one! I like the higher peaks! so much for colour though haha
  • 8 years ago

    Megan, picked a few others with that blue/green color for you

    Ming Green Marble

    off white quartzite (matches your floors) w/antique mirror. (tilebar)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    well as long as you're on tilebar, you get 5 samples for $5, so grab a few more! Look at the Komorebi. there are 12 diff colors. grab one of them for a sample.

    also look at the Cadenza, and Nabi lines.

    and here's a larger shot of that one you like. click on it to see the enlarged pic. (that's going to be a whole lot of white next to the counter and the white cabs!)

  • 8 years ago
    I think the middle one looks like you will have a white overload in the kitchen. Is there some color planned for the walls?
    The one on the right...yes, bathroom.
    I like the one on the left.
  • 8 years ago
    Love the aqua and pale greens that Beth has shown ....give the room a little more warmth and personality....they are colors that are soothing as well....
  • 8 years ago
    if I can find something with the pale aqua/greens but in the chevron design like the all white one from tilebar (above) i would be happy. that rain blend chevron one would be ideal I think!
  • 8 years ago
    The rain blend looks kind of washed out...to me...may not contrast enough ?....may even be drab?....not sure....
  • 8 years ago

    Megan, the rain blend is just that. a blend of crackle glazes. they have some beautiful blue/green crackle colors. I will warn you, Encore isn't cheap. don't know how much the crackle chevron costs, but I would guess in the $30-40 range.

    here is the Chevron link,,they will blend up to 6 diff colors for you. you can even blend it w/the marble.

    http://encoreceramics.com/product/chevron-mixed-mosaic/

    these are just a few of the others.

    tons of other shapes and combos. this is Alabaster sheer and Rain Quartz.

    they also have a 4x10 chevron, any of the colors.

    http://encoreceramics.com/standard-field/

  • 8 years ago

    I voted in your other thread...but wanted to say I love the rain blend tiles that Beth posted for your kitchen...I think the pop of color will really add to the look...right now, it is a little too white for my taste..

  • 8 years ago
    Middle one or the rain blend. Probably depends on the undertones also in your white cabinets - whether they lean cool or warm.