madakatude6a

Least Favorite Rose...

madakatude6a

Does anyone else have a rose that they don't really like all that much. To the point where it's taking up space where you can put something else? I'm a roseaholic and I took the rose-o-cratic oath so if it lives I take care of it. Blah blah blah. Here are some roses I need to trade or gift or something.

Let's see yours

Blaze Improved. Stunning color but it's a bit wimpy. Also, I don't like the look of it. It's growing nicely in indirect sun. Planted bare root summer 2017.

John Cabot. Same thing as Blaze I don't like the look of it. Just got it for 2018. I have it in a pot. It's just there. I'd like to stick to traditional looking roses.

Grootendorst. What was I thinking. Don't be fooled by these pretty colors. This little thorny trickster is quite hardy. It's been in a pot for 5 years. It grows on old wood and hardly has any die back. I have it in a pot every year I wish it would go ahead and just die. Nope. Shiny green leaves and beautiful miniature pink flowers in different shades. No bugs and no beetles. Nothing will touch this thing. So glad I left this in a pot. I hear it's invasive and I couldn't handle that with this plant.

Paradise. She produces lots of flowers but wont get any height. I think it's knee hi in 2 years. She's got a premium spot and I really want to just pull it up.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Holy Moly, eden is a giant

A big beautiful monster

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Just when I was thinking about dumping Brooks town Inn, it gave Me two little blooms. It is a very slow repeat but when you get a Bloom they're awfully pretty.

What was your least favorite design trend of 2014?

Minimalism is not really a trend. You could probably trace the roots of minimalism back to ancient Sparta if not earlier. But your other ones...I have to say chevron and espresso finishes are out. Once people on pintrest are done with their cute antler pictures and keep calm posters they will be out as well. But they wont be really out until someone gives me one. That's usually my clue - by the time someone gives me one the trend is deader than an armadillo on a Texas state highway.

POLL: Favorite fixture finish?

update-we just finished our renovation, and did use all chrome fixtures. We knew we had hard water, (our first experience living in an area with hard water) but didn't realize what it meant for all that shiny chrome. Lots and lots of water spots and marks. We use cheap washcloths to polish the fixtures in the shower and at the sinks after every use. Small sacrifice for such pretty sparkly fixtures!

Least Favorite Decor Trend ?

"Quotes" paintings are my big dislike right now. I think they'd be cute in kids or teen rooms, but not so much in adult spaces. I also really hate the "open concept" feel in a home. While I like open airy feeling spaces, I like some kind of divide between different spaces. These huge rectangular kitchen/living/dining areas that are only broken up by furniture remind me of oversized studio apartments. Even a dining nook or eat in kitchen is better than having your dining set in the middle of the living room. We had that arrangement in 2 prior places and I just hated it. So much happier with our new condo that has a breakfast bar dividing the kitchen from the living room and a dining area off the living room, but visually it's own distinct area.

HELP - LEAST FAVORITE ROOM

My first suggestion for the windows would be to add a 3rd one. However, if that's more complex than you want to go, try adding an accented trim to them. Also, changing the paint color of a small room is easy, but it's hard to tell which color will best fit your personality & home design just from these photos. Best of luck!
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Brookstown Inn got the shovel. Geeze, 2 blooms all summer .

Just when decided to dump Savannah, she gives me a healthy flush, the same with Beverly lol, you girls just earned a reprive.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Ben your Eden is beautiful!! Wowsers

jc , I have no idea about the tagging . I feel like houzz is really far behind in technology for something always “updating “.

Kristine, maybe they decided to finally shape up ! I have decided to remove my Cornelia when we get back from our trip to visit family. Or maybe I’ll pull the weeds around it and give it fresh mulch and I’ll feel better. Hmm ;)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

What is tagging? I just private message.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

What is tagging? I just private message. Lilly Finch, I just got Cornelia this may and I'm still waiting for a first flower. I hope it's worth the wait. Prosperity is amazing. Now that is a hybrid musk I might make more of. Belinda is the same thing... Very healthy and nice blooms. I'm moving mine in the next couple of days to more sun so hopefully she'll bloom more but she's trying even under adverse conditions. I'm also moving my lavender Lassie into more sun.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Kristine,

I was about to shovel prune Belinda’s Dream, and suddenly she produces a flush with more blooms than she has produced in all of the last two years. Now she is too nice to dump. I have already bought both Elle and Tiffany (couldn’t decide between them, so I got both) to replace her, so now I have three plants for one spot!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Same here Ben. I have Quietness to replace Savannah. Darn roses have been reading the rose forum and decided to get with it.

Lilyfinch, no offence but, Im glad that I didnt get the Lady Gardner

I have seen similar pictures and they look nothing like the catalogue pictures

• madakatude6a

Wow this thread took off like crazy. I wish there were more pics but hey I've been googling like crazy to see some of the roses I wasn't familiar with. My Paradise got the shovel and I really don't care! I'm going to shovel some more so I can have room for newbies next spring. Enforcing the motto.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

That darned Beverly looks so beautiful today

Savannah is still going to go

And Sweet Intoxication, which is neither sweet nor intoxicating .

Well now she is just showing off

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Kristine that rose looks beautiful!! And I’m sad I wasted money again on it .. it was such a dog . I don’t know who grows it well but good for them I guess. Why do I fall for some roses in the spring when everything looks promising!!

Mada I hope you are thrilled with paradise replacement!!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I was ruthless today, removed another rose.

Lilyfinch, was Beverly a dud for you?

I just ordered a whole bunch of lilies.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Today was a good riddance kind of day. My garden helper was able to come for the first time since spring, and I had him remove New Dawn, Erinnerung an Brod, a gigantic Beauty Bush (pretty in the spring but a big nothing the rest of the year), 40' of cranesbill that doesn't rebloom, the rest of my tree peonies except for one (they reverted to root stock), Sweet Summer Love clematis, which he took home with him, and dig a hole for a rose. He also weeded and edged a flower bed. It feels so good to have all that done. Amazing how fast one works when one is young.

This is the first time I've been this ruthless and I like it.

• pink rose(9b, FL )

I was ruthless too last week ! I s/p Quicksilver and Florentina ( planted in wrong place , both grew too tall & wild and rarely bloomed ) . Also s/p Flo Nelson (puny bush ) and Neil Diamond ( leggy and pushed over by Savannah ) . although I plan on buying another ND and giving it more space.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Oh, I had to gasp! Different climates make such a big difference. Quicksilver and Florentina are two of my very best for health, vigor, blooms, and general loveliness. They'll never get too tall and wild here because winter won't let them. Climate makes such a huge difference.

But, yes, it is freeing to get rid of roses that fail to please so we have room to try others that may be better suited to our conditions.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Well that dang Beverly, today she is all luscious and fragrant, some might say, beautiful .

She is even draping herself over the retaining wall so flirtaciously

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Well, I'm not getting rid of her or anything, but Quietness is truly my worst rose so far. Just a very few blooms in two seasons and defoliation from BS. I give her slack as we've really been slammed with rain and perfect temps for that, but I was hoping after finally planting her in the ground that she would f take off. The deer eating her buds didn't help, but those suffering the same fate are putting her to shame. Hopefully next year she'll have me eating my words as the blooms I did get were lovely. She's in a bed with Awakening, Marie Pavie, a double pink KO and Belinda's Dream, all of which are doing well. I wasn't expecting much from BD after all the comments here, but she seems to like her little home which is amazing for a grafted bodybag from Menard's.

Belinda's Dream

Her blooms all look like this and look at those healthy leaves!

BTW, Kristine I know you've said before, but what is your avatar rose?

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

My Belinda’s Dream has won her reprieve from the big bad shovel. This is pretty decent at the end of a 98 degree day:

Her coloring also works very well with all the plants around her (Neptune, Julia Child, a blue and white Iris), so she gets to stick around.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Wow, good exampleexamples of what Belindas Dream should look like .

My Avatar is Olivia Austin, my fav.

Here is the reborn Beverly ha

She is huge and full of blooms

It hard to hate her

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Pretty decent indeed, Ben! That bed sounds so pretty.

Kristine, that is a lot bigger than I thought Beverly would get.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I walked her off today

One year in the ground about 4 1/22ft and 6 ft spread

She is a blooming space hog

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Today was shovel day for Sweet Intoxication. Into that extra large pot went Blue for You.

I translated Oklahoma into a huge planter box . Because it is still in the upper 8080s I used a trellis and a towel to shade it

I probably should have waited u til it cooled off but I am having vein surgery after the first of the month and I wanted to get as much of the moving around done.

All of a sudden Beverly has won my heart so she stays. I was going crazy deciding what to put in her place, now I don't have to worry about it.

Savannah is still out and Quietness will take her place..

I cant believe it is .almost Sept. I almost feel gyped of a summer.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Kristine, you can't beat Quietness to fill spaces! I just bought another one and think I'll go back for a third. I think it's one of the best roses ever.

I have my eye on Blue for You. Mine hasn't impressed me at all.

I moved 4 yr. old Cinco de Mayo to the spot formerly occupied by Eyeconic Pink Lemonade (what a dud!!) and in doing so, lost a lot of her root ball. I didn't expect her to survive, much less for her new growth to survive, but she surprised me and after the new growth sulked for a day, she perked up and looks like she was never moved. Cinco needs consideration because of her coloring. Now she's with a deep purple and a strong peach and the three are perfect together, though it does make quite a colorful bed.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I have 2 Blue For You and they bloom frequently but blow quickly.

I love Cinco d Mayo

I think planting it with purples is the way to go.

• Christian

My least favorite rose is The Lady Gardener. What an ugly rose and never anything like the beautiful photos DA uses to promote it. Constantly covered in deformed proliferated blossoms often the color of used tissue rarely showing the promised apricot. The scent (when there) is odd not a pleasant scent you would expect from a rose I don’t even know how to describe it.

The photo below is the best flower I have gotten from this plant in the 3 seasons it’s been in the ground. I’m gonna have to grab a photo of some of the current blossoms.

• Lisa Adams

That’s disappointing to hear about The Lady Gardener, Christian. It looks so pretty in their pictures. Nice to know, though. Thanks! Lisa

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Kristine, I have my Cinco de Mayo planted with Violets Pride and Heathcliff. I like it alot. I really wish my Quietness would shape Up. What are you guys doing that yours grow so well?

• Dave6aMO

Christian & Lilyfinch - I have to agree about The Lady Gardener. She was new to me last year and she was great - better than expected. However, this year the center of the blooms rapidly turn brown and she is not self cleaning. I haven’t had much BS this year d/t the unusually hot/dry conditions & drought here but she is one of only a few w/ BS. I have her in a spot w/ some afternoon shade and so she doesn’t fade as quickly. I personally like her fragrance w/ the vanilla undertone. I’m going to give her another year but she is definitely on my watch list.

• wkaran

I don't like those roses with lots disease, specally with powdery mildew: HD / Lowz just keep selling all these old rose has troubles. Medallion (heavy rust) ; Perfume Delight ( endless powdery midew, endless treament for Zero result! and too too less petal)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

wkaran, I agree, too many healthy roses to put up with stinkers. I try first to get them healthy. I try, I really do

I use neem oil and if they still persist with disease, they are

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Check it out. Beverly is making her move on Munstead. Easy big girl

She is definitely taking up way more than her allotted space

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

What a beautiful photo, Kristine.

• R pnwz8a

i really wanted to love love song.. it had beautiful blooms.. but with full swing black spot.. it just wouldn't grow.

• totoro z7b Md

Turns out Breath of Life had crown gall so it is gone now.

Now my least favorite is a mini that I received accidentally called Teddy Bear. The color is rusty and the petals quill.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Peppermint Pop has been a gaudy thorn in my side the three years she's been here. However, because she's one of my best for growth, form, bloom and health, I just haven't been able to get rid of her. She's in a primo spot, so she'd better get with it. She's just not my style.

The blooms don't age well, and they don't self clean. And, she's too gaudy. Almost florescent in person. Maybe it's just the color that bothers me.

• bart_2015

In your photos it looks like a great colour to me,flowers, but I see the ones on HMF and think that I understand what you are talking about...in other words, in real life, I think I wouldn't like it either. Photos can be mis-leading,since colours are difficult to capture at times and the way they are seen on different computers can vary widely too...

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

I just realized I posted this rose way up thread back in July last year. Just goes to show how much I don't care for it.

Bart, my phone does take vivid photos, and I often have to tone them down before posting. Peppermint Pop, however, is just as garish as the photos show. My dislike boils down to the neon color, because it's a good rose in every other way. Not everyone likes quilling, but I do, so it's not that. It would be great to jazz up a dark corner.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

I can’t believe I’ve waited this long to ask, but what is quilling?

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Flowers , now is the best time to dig it up ! It’s dormant and won’t tempt you to give it just one more chance. If I wasnt Moving I know I would be hemming and hawing about mine . I think I would finally rid of my pink eden . Mine is also garish and not very pleasing to my eye.

Jc I don’t know either . Hope she tells us ! :)

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Hahaha! you two are funny. I actually don't know for sure. How's that for an answer.

See how the petals curl under? That's what I call quilling. Most teas do it, and it carried over to some hybrid teas, like La France (the first hybrid tea).

If I'm wrong, please, someone who knows what they're talking about, correct me.

Jc, what happened to the snake??

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

Oh! In that case, quilling doesn’t bother me if its expected.

The snake is in 3 pieces, triple bagged, in the outside garbage can.

I wasted no time. I can handle anything except snakes. Even the nice garter and rat snakes know better than to come near me.

Thats the only thing I don’t miss about living on the water in FL. Alligators? Fine. Gar? Don’t care. Snakes?

NO

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

You're ruthless! Snakes are my worst gardening fear, so I get it.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I dont mind snakes at long as they arent poisonous like the giant Timber Rattlesnake incident I found myself in a few yrs ago!

Alligators, spiders, scorpions dont freak me out either. Its the evil flying giant roaches, that I have a phobia of lol.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

I missed the snake comment jc !! But ughhh I had to overcome my fear too and just kill them . I just can’t with a toddler in my garden . I know they have their place and being by the water we get them a lot but I don’t tolerate them. Sometimes they hide under my mulch bags and what a scare !

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Snakes are these poisonous snakes were talking about you?

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

I don’t think we have many poisonous snakes in TN, vapor. I do not differentiate, though this far north I think it would be easier to.

In FL there are many of them, but where I grew up Water Moccasins were common. And they are mean. They chase if you get too close.

I hate to be a fraidy cat but an animal with no legs that moves that fast just disturbs me. Give me all the spiders and flying roaches instead.

The counties in south Florida actually give yearly prizes to whoever catches the largest snake in the Everglades.

I can’t remember if it’s anaconda or python but I don’t care they are all things of nightmares.

• getgoing100_7b_nj

Westerland, Bonica, sunny knockout. Westerland was in its best shape first year from bare root and went downhill from there. Little to no blooms, diseases galore. Bonica was worse, disease and pest magnet, rarely a bloom. Sunny knock out, wouldn't bulk up, not as disease resistant as knockouts are supposed to be, ugly shaped blooms. I grow in pots and used to bring them indoors in winter. Luckily, they all dies this winter to overfertilizing or something. Who cares, good riddance to bad rubbish. I only mourned the demise of Don Juan. Now, I am trying miniatures. No fragrance but much healthier and frequent bloomers and perfectly shaped long lasting blooms too. What's not to like except their size...

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I just went out and shovel pruned my least favorite rose to make Room for something I like better.

I have been hanging on to sunset dreams for 3 years now and I haven't liked it except for maybe once or twice I would get a nice Bloom but to me it just never was anything that I cared for.

So now I have a very nice space for at last

• hugogurll

Without a doubt, I have hated Montezuma for many years...urpy dirty coral pink color. Every time I saw it in a public garden, it had the same unimpressive color so I never gave it room at home.

But this thread proves a good point, threatening your plant can often get results. Sometimes I break out the shovel to make an emphasis. More often than not, the plant will turn around a give at least one good bloom cycle.