Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samtap47

Urgent help requested: chandelier size and location

Sam P
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

In the middle of renovation and urgent help requested.

Open living room 20' x 20' living room area not including adjoining open spaces. Ceiling height is 20 feet. I want to buy ring chandelier like camino by RH. Hanging height 7-8 feet from floor. What should be the diameter/size of the chandelier. should i go for RH camino chandelier 63" or 50"?

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2111630&categoryId=cat5700042

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2111631&categoryId=cat5700042

What should be location of chandelier? center of the room (center line is where the red chandelier is behind in the dining room) or not center of the room but roughly above coffee table?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

step number one is to know there is not enough rods or cord that come with that fixture, you have to order additional rods, and with the full length it would hang at a 12 foot level in the room

2nd thing to know is if you are hanging it that low, then you dont need it to be larger than your coffee table.

3rd this is a very airy piece and could easily get lost with all the other ironwork and large space

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

I would go higher up and in the center of that giant square metal art

• Sam P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for your feedback. I am inclining towards smaller diameter chandelier if closer to table say 7-8 feet above floor.
    RH said if I buy additional rods I can hang as low as 7-8 feet from the floor for a 20 feet ceiling. Therefore, Sorry didn’t understand what you meant by chandelier full length will be at 12 feet level.
    You are Right that black metal art is too much for this chandelier and I think it will probably have to go.
    Two problems I have with hanging this chandelier in center is 1) it will limit us on furniture arrangement as now chandelier will be in middle and furniture (couches and coffee table) floating to the left of the chandelier. May look odd? Usually chandelier is above coffee table. Furniture cannot be directly in center as it blocks pathway to dining room.
    2) chandelier will be directly in front of red dining room chandelier (by the way I am replacing that red chandelier in the dining room to compliment the one in the living room), do may compete with each other??
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

If you hang it in the center, you wouldn't hang it at 7 feet. I would hang it higher than that fill the space of the room while not dictating the space.

• Sam P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks. Ok if I hang in center what height is recommended? Can I go bigger in diameter if I hang in center and higher? Say 60” diameter? Or should I stick with 50” diameter for hanging in center and higher?

Thanks much
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

I would consider the 2 tier 50 inch

• khrisz
    5 years ago

50" about 8' - 10' above floor

• loobab
    5 years ago

Hi Sam Pan-

I agree with you that the red chandelier in the dining area has to go.

I also agree with you that the massive metal wall sculpture has to go, it will dominate any chandelier you put in the living room.

The living room and dining room chandeliers do not have to be the same, they should just have the same feeling, the same metal.

You can do your round one with dark metal in the living room , and one that looks like an atom in the dining room, or vice versa.

These are both from Restoration hardware, since you want to get your other chandelier from there, and come in different sizes and finishes.

• Sam P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank so much for your feedback. Appreciate everyone’s response.
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Hi Sam Pan-

Will you be putting a television over your fireplace?

If not, a really great, tall piece of art, or a three dimensional art piece, or fabric wall hanging would be marvelous, and you don't need to put anything where you have the metal one now.

• Sam P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sorry for late response. Yes you are absolutely right. We will be putting a. A large painting or a mirror on the wall above fireplace and will be removing the metal art piece. Thanks for your feedback!
  • Sam P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is a picture of chandelier now that is up. Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I took your advise and put the chandelier higher and in middle of the room.
    Still lots of things to be changed like metal art work to be removed and mantle on the fireplace has been ordered to a stone mantle. Plus need to change furniture eventually and rug and all. But this is a start :)
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

fantastic.