Software
Houzz Logo Print
wed1972

Slate appliances

8 years ago

We are building a new kitchen. Cabinets will be classic gray which is a pale gray. I am considering slate appliances or perhaps black stainless steel. Any thoughts?

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Here's why I don't recommend black or slate appliances

    -It's only a coating and is known to scratch off

    -Brands don't use the exact same colors like they do with SS

    -These "colors" tends to be trends, meaning there is no guarantee that in a few years when you need to replace an appliance that they will still be making that color

    -They tend to be really dark and suck the light out the room

    -They don't disappear visually how stainless steel ones do

    Maureen Paquet thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I would stick with regular old satinless at least when you want to replace a piece it will still be around. IMO it is the reason it has still been the choice it looks good from all makers

    Maureen Paquet thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for those links, alex. The Yale Appliance blog is great.

    I would not go with black or slate appliances either. I find the all stainless appliance kitchen such a breeze to deal with. If something breaks, you easily find a new one in the same finish.


    Maureen Paquet thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Just don't.... Read the above posts.

    Maureen Paquet thanked Anglophilia
  • 8 years ago
    I purchased slate appliances and love them. Previously had stainless at the other house. Slate is so much easier to keep clean. The fingerprints on my stainless fridge drove me crazy!
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks so much.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    mydogmiddy--Did you buy GE slate or their black slate? Is it still holding up well..any scratches?

  • 7 years ago

    Maureen, which did you buy?

    Maureen Paquet thanked Starre Jennings
  • 7 years ago

    We bought the slate appliances and are thrilled with them. We painted our interior doors Kendall charcoal and the slate appliances are perfect with the colour.. No fingerprints whatsoever and we really like that they have stainless steel handles.

  • 7 years ago

    Forgot to mention we bought the GE slate Profile series, not black

  • 5 years ago

    @Maureen Paquet and @mydogmiddy - would love to see your kitchen pics! Thoughts on you slate appliances a couple years later? Has it held up to scratches?

  • 5 years ago

    Besides what has been written on this thread so far about slate appliances, I would add that the finish "slate" is made solely by GE. In other words, it is a one-off product offered by only one producer. It is extremely unlikely to have longevity.

  • 5 years ago

    Love our slate apliances after three years. Never a fingerprint or scratch and we have a three year old granddaughter. Had stainless steel for many years and would definitely choose slate over stainless. i will include a couple of photos.

  • 5 years ago





  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Pantry doors are kendall charcoal which match perfectly.


  • 5 years ago

    @HU-532050867 - never mind the slate finish, why isn't your over-the-range microwave correctly over your range? How did that happen, didn't someone plan your layout? That would drive me crazy.

  • 5 years ago

    I planned our layout and I love it. Wouldn’t change a thing.

  • 5 years ago

    Honestly, I am so grateful to wake up to my new kitchen every morning that I would never let something like that bother me. Take Care.

  • 5 years ago

    @HU-532050867 thanks so much for sharing! They really do look brand new!!