0

Lowes "Tropics" Composite Deck Experiences?

eric426

We stopped by Lowes today and saw some fairly attractive composite decking by a brand called "TROPICS." It was right next to the Trex. It's competitively priced at about $2.25/LFT with some nice gray colors in stock.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TROPICS-12-ft-Tidal-Gray-Grooved-Composite-Deck-Board/1000117063

I have searched hard on google and houzz and can't find anything about this brand. The Lowes clerk said it is a Trex product rebranded specifically for Lowes but he didn't give me a lot of confidence he knew what he was talking about.

I have found some references online to a Fiberon Tropics product, like this review from Consumer Reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/products/decking-material/fiberon-tropics-120733/overview/ and this product page:

I can't tell if this is the same product as what I saw at Lowes however.

Has anyone used this product? Comments on durability, fading, and/or mildew resistance would be much appreciated!

Eric

GN Builders L.L.C

Its a more affordable line of decking made by Fiberon, I think they use that line of decking strictly for Box Stores.

I don't know much about it, most homeowners buy this stuff from box stores because it is cheaper in comparison to other lines of decking which offer a much better warranty.

I would get some paperwork and read up on it and compare apples to apples what they use to make that what the warranty is in comparison to other brands.

On the general note if you can find any information online from the manufacturer or if the store who sells, they can't provide too much information or literature, I'm sure there is a reason for it.

Go with Trex Transcend, you will pay a little more but you will have a nice long lasting decking. I always tell my customers, instead of buying something cheap that will fade or fail in a few years and need to be replaced again, spend a little more and have something lasting.

Good luck.

I am a "gentleman professional". We install decks when someone requests it. I put down about 800 sq. ft. of the TROPICS product from LOWES a month ago. It went down ok and it looks good. The warranty was similar to Trex -- 25 year prorated. Not quit as good as Trex but in the ball park. What I did notice is that it nicked easier than Trex. I fear that it will not stand up too well to sliding things across it or dropping things on it. I noticed the nicks (sent several units back) were the result of the store handling the material. We put a couple of nicks in the coating while installing. This is the only concern I have at this time. Not enough time to see how it weathers.