0
cefandl

Please Help Identify this Climbing Vine

cefandl
last modified: June 25, 2018

Hi there, I have found an image of a home similar to ours and would love to do something like what they have climbing over their vestibule. Does anyone know what the vine is? Someone at the nursery took a look for a while and guessed Wisteria, but we weren't totally sure. Any thoughts?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Looks like wisteria to me.

cefandl thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

There is more than one vine in there :-) I see what appears to be wisteria foliage on the far right hand side but what is growing over the top of the entry jut-out is a completely different shape......looks almost ivy or maple shaped.

There are a whole raft of different vines you could use for a PNW garden. Did you want evergreen or not? Sun or shade?

cefandl thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I think the other vine is an Ipomoea of some kind.

cefandl thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • cefandl

Thank you so much for helping. I would love something flowering, if possible. I have seen climbing roses going over as well, as the nursery employee mentioned, a hydrangea vine which would be beautiful. The issue with the hydrangea would be it is full sun up there. Although our PNW sun isn't as strong, the front of the house gets hit hard with afternoon sun. So I would love something that would withstand that. I would love to hear your suggestions!

• cefandl

Oh and evergreen is always welcome as well.

The hydrangea can take the sun....no worries there :-) There is one in my garden growing on a chain link fence and it is in full sun (one of the few spots in my garden that receives full sun!!) and it is in full bloom as we speak. Also gets no supplemental irrigation....just what nature provides.

Other evergreen possibilities are chocolate vine (Akebia quinata), Lonicera sempervirens, China blue vine (Holboellia coriacea), or Clematis armandii or cirrhosa. A climbing rose (not evergreen) would be very attractive but more work than most vines.

Other types of clematis and honeysuckles could work as well but will not be evergreen. And of course wisteria.....but that is big vine requiring a heavy support system and a heck of a lot of pruning to keep in check!!

• cefandl

I love the climbing hydrangea but wondering how the golden autumn leaves will look draped over the roof.

thank you for all the ideas!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

I am not sure that I would grow climbing hydrangea on my house. Mine grows up an 8’ concrete retaining wall in an unirrigated western exposure and needs trimming back annually. It is a large, heavy, woody vine and I would worry about damage to the roofing material if allowed to climb onto the roof.

I definitely wouldn’t use wisteria on a building as it has been known to lift shingles and grow under pieces of siding.

I would look at GG48’s other suggestions. Also consider whether you want foliage against the building year round since that will hold more moisture against the siding.

cefandl thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH