Bigtooth Maple vs Shantung Maple

HU-4658696337661

Anyone with experience with both of these? What's the growth rate, mature height between the two? And which do you prefer?

I'm in central Texas.
  • maackia

Acer truncatum. Yes, the guy from west-central WI comes out strongly for Shantung in Texas, a tree that he has never grown. I’m just basing it on numerous recommendations from someone who posted here regularly extolling the virtues of this tree — a veritable Texas superstar.

• lou_spicewood_tx

Bigtooth maple seems to grow pretty slow. Shantung maple can grow somewhat fast when maintained properly. However, after having grown Shantung maples from seeds, growth rate, form and size varies greatly. "Fire Dragon" cultivar can get up to 35 x 35 ft in 20 years. Check this out - http://shantungmaple.com/cultivars.html I live in Spicewood and I have 6 in the ground including 'Fire Dragon', 'Skinny Dragon', 'Super Dragon', two that I grew from seeds off Fire Dragan that may be dwarf or semi dwarf. One seedling off 'Skinny Dragon'. Fire Dragon is the fastest grower of all easily, over 3 ft of growth this year so far.

• Pecci

I've been growing an Acer truncatum 'Main Street' here in the shadows of the Matterhorn, in OC, CA. My ph is nearly 8 and my garden water 7.7 with a tds of 365ppm. It has been flawless. Fast growing, with glossy bright green leaves. I think it is extremely similar to 'Fire Dragon'. It is extremely beautiful. The Fall color has been mostly yellow with some red. Not spectacular, but it still draws attention from neighbors.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

My climate isn't as humid as yours, but not too far. I recently discovered that the maple growing in my backyard is A. truncatum. It was there when we moved in, and in the last 5 years it has grown at least 3 feet a year, mostly in width. It is about 20 feet tall. It is very tough, looking and growing no differently after we removed the lawn and went xeric. Leaves are glossy and durable, except in heavy hail, when nothing is. My friends have commented on what a pretty tree it is. Leaves of mine turn a golden yellow in the fall, and it produces a moderate to large crop of seeds.

last year

Well I ended up planting 1 of each :D

• Pecci
    last year

Good for you. No one can argue with that. Keep us updated on their progress.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    last year

Let us know how they compare to each other over the years! Good luck. if you have space, look for Mexican sugar maple. Grows faster than both bigtooth and Shantung for sure. I planted one at parents in law nearby Horseshoe Bay and it seemed to do fine with minimal care.

• dbarron
    last year

I read this thread, then researched a bit,..and a shautung maple would probably be a good fit for me. I wonder if the local nurseries have anything coming from Greenleaf still this year...I should ask. Glad to run across this thread and see this info.

last year
    last modified: last year

I got both my shantung and bigtooth from the same nursery. But the bigtooth was twice as expensive and 50% the size of the shantung. I think the bigtooth is a slower grower and the shantung is much more hardy. However, I do prefer the leaf shape of the bigtooth.

Planted last summer. Both get full sun all day.

Here's a pic of the shantung leaves budding. Much more vibrant than the bigtooths this early.

• Pecci
    last year

The lobe's are much deeper than on mine. Is it the regular species?

last year
    last modified: last year

Yes, those leaves are 1/4 size of the full size leaves--they just budded. they're very immature. The mature leaves look very much like a regular shantung. Ill get some updated pics up.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    last year

Unusually thin lobes on this Shantung maple that looks more like Japanese maple

• tennisanyone17
    last year
    last modified: last year

Lou_spicewood_tx : that is so cool. I just planted fire dragon and baby dragon, and a week ago big tooth maple. How old is your maple that is grown from seed, it is resembling a baby dragon. Although all those maples are grafted that I got . I am in Plano ,TX

• lou_spicewood_tx
    last year

Tennis, the one with skinny lobes... 3 or 4 years ago? The semi dwarf grown from Fire Dragon seed was 5 or 6 years ago? Very compact. The leaves are very close to each other on the stems/trunk. Unusual. Nice red fall color as well. I wouldn't know if it is possible to graft it since the growths are small and tight. I want to learn how to graft both of them onto root stocks. I have a bunch of Shantung maple seedlings.

• tennisanyone17
    last year

Lou- thanks for your response. I'v seen few good tutorials on grafting online and one of them is " herons bonsai". I wander what is a rootstock used for those maples? I guess I could always ask Metro maples, they grow them and they also patented them, they are very nice and do respond very fast to emails. Once I get seeds from my maples ( quite a few on the tree) I will try to grow from a seed it might be fun.

• James
    last year

Where can I purchase this Shantung maple in Orange County CA?

• Pecci
    last year

I had to go up to nursery's n Lake Arrowhead & Big Bear. They are not always there, so call first.

• James
    last year

Thanks Pecci. That seems like a hassle. How much were they if you don't mind me asking?

I found a nursery online that can ship a 5-6ft tree for $170. Is it a lot cheaper than that?

I think I'll give a couple of local nurseries a call tomorrow.

• Pecci
    last year

We like heading up to the mtns, so we enjoyed the trip and had lunch overlooking Lake Arrowhead.

I was looking for ''Redpointe'' and bought either a 3 or 5 gallon, for about $60.

A few yrs. ago I bought a Truncatum ''Mainstreet" on line and it is doing very well, but I have also lost some.

I have a the Truncatum (species) in a I think a 3 gal. It's about 4 1/2' tall. You can have for whatever you want wish to give for it. Where abouts are you in SoCal?

• James
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm in orange county. Garden Grove

• Pecci
    last year

Me too. Let me know if you are interest.

• James
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm interested. Are these the original Shantung or a hybrid? I don't know what to offer so just shoot me an asking price.

Can you post a photo of it?

Edit: I have an autumn blaze. about 8-10ft? In a 10-15 gallon. If you wanna trade? lol

• Pecci
    last year

This is the the spiecies (original). I'll send a pic to,,orow, when the sun is out.

• Pecci
    last year

Not able to send a photo here. PM your email and I'll do it that way.

• James
    last year

cant see how to PM

andrew4ceo@hotmail.com

• soymil yarlagad

James where did you get the autumn blaze maple from?

• James

Purchased from arborday.org

• soymil yarlagad

they dont ship to california. how did you get it?

• Pecci

It was here: https://mendocinomaples.com/acer-species-cultivars/acer-species/acer-truncatum/

It is out of stock. There may be a few more options. Whereabouts do you live in CA?

• James

Hmm. Strange! Not sure, I ordered some flowering magnolia trees and they threw the autumn blaze for free. It was 1 ft tall when I got it 2 years ago. (been trying to sell the autumn blaze)

As for the Shantung maple. I just got that too. And it grew more than 3 feet so far. Planted it in the spring.

• soymil yarlagad

i live in the oc area as well

• soymil yarlagad

it includes ca in the no shipping list https://shop.arborday.org/autumn-blaze-maple-2

• Pecci

I found the nurseries in the Lake Arrowhead & Big Bear areas had some good selections. That is where I bought my ''Redpointe'' red maple. It along with my Shantung "Main Street" They have been in the ground for 4+ and 3 yrs. respectively (both around 12'), and they show no leaf-burn until after the fall colors arrive, which is normal. They are beautiful.

Going to bed now. If I can help more, let me know. I'll check back tomorrow.

• tennisanyone17

My shantung maple from last year( it was 12 feet tall) succumbed to early spring rain in Dallas Tx, so I have replaced it with the same size and it is doing fine, since May it has put up a grow about 2 feet . Remain to be seen if it will fair better after winter.

Update on big tooth. It is doing fine so far, but it is definitely a slow growing . We had a big wind in spring and it has lost a big brunch. I feel that those maples are fragile trees. Last year we had early freeze so no autumn show of the leaves... hopefully would be better this year.

Happy gardening!

• Pecci

Is your Shantung of the 'Fire Dragon' variety, or is the species?

• James

Yeah, I see it. But back then, they delivered to CA. I didn't get it anywhere else. lol

I have the Fire Dragon shantung, waiting to see what fall colors look like!

• Some random GUY

what is the best acer rubrum cultivar for southern california?

• Pecci

The variety 'Redpointe'. Nothing else comes close.

• tennisanyone17

Pecci, My shantung maple is " red dragon" I got it from "metro maples" I also have a baby dragon and that one is growing well, although not sure I like the shape of it.

• Soumil Yarlagadda

hey im the alt account for some random guy, can i see photos of your redpointe?

• Soumil Yarlagadda

my email is yologoumil@gmail.com

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

I am from Texas. Cannot find these maples where I live. Can anyone suggest some good mail order nurseries? Thanks!

My shantung is still hanging on after 2 years

• James

Mine has grown over 4ft since planting it in April. Has done way better than my Japanese maples in the hot SoCAL sun.

The newly planted Shantung (middle) has already outgrown my Bloodgood (right) I planted 3 years ago.

• Pecci

They look beautiful. The Jap. Maple is a smaller tree that will grow more slowly.

• tennisanyone17

James, those maples look great. Mine Red dragon Shantung maple has grown 3 ' since I planted in May. I will make a photo tomorrow, its to dark now

• James

@tennisanyone17 please do! I want to see if the growth habit of the Shuntung is similar to mine? The branch is growing out like fireworks?

Not as graceful as the Bloodgood in regards to branching.