Bigtooth Maple vs Shantung Maple

HU-4658696337661

Anyone with experience with both of these? What's the growth rate, mature height between the two? And which do you prefer?

• Embothrium

What part of Texas?

I'm in central Texas.
  • maackia

Acer truncatum. Yes, the guy from west-central WI comes out strongly for Shantung in Texas, a tree that he has never grown. I’m just basing it on numerous recommendations from someone who posted here regularly extolling the virtues of this tree — a veritable Texas superstar.

• lou_spicewood_tx

Bigtooth maple seems to grow pretty slow. Shantung maple can grow somewhat fast when maintained properly. However, after having grown Shantung maples from seeds, growth rate, form and size varies greatly. "Fire Dragon" cultivar can get up to 35 x 35 ft in 20 years. Check this out - http://shantungmaple.com/cultivars.html I live in Spicewood and I have 6 in the ground including 'Fire Dragon', 'Skinny Dragon', 'Super Dragon', two that I grew from seeds off Fire Dragan that may be dwarf or semi dwarf. One seedling off 'Skinny Dragon'. Fire Dragon is the fastest grower of all easily, over 3 ft of growth this year so far.

• Pecci

I've been growing an Acer truncatum 'Main Street' here in the shadows of the Matterhorn, in OC, CA. My ph is nearly 8 and my garden water 7.7 with a tds of 365ppm. It has been flawless. Fast growing, with glossy bright green leaves. I think it is extremely similar to 'Fire Dragon'. It is extremely beautiful. The Fall color has been mostly yellow with some red. Not spectacular, but it still draws attention from neighbors.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

My climate isn't as humid as yours, but not too far. I recently discovered that the maple growing in my backyard is A. truncatum. It was there when we moved in, and in the last 5 years it has grown at least 3 feet a year, mostly in width. It is about 20 feet tall. It is very tough, looking and growing no differently after we removed the lawn and went xeric. Leaves are glossy and durable, except in heavy hail, when nothing is. My friends have commented on what a pretty tree it is. Leaves of mine turn a golden yellow in the fall, and it produces a moderate to large crop of seeds.

Well I ended up planting 1 of each :D

• Pecci

Good for you. No one can argue with that. Keep us updated on their progress.

• lou_spicewood_tx

Let us know how they compare to each other over the years! Good luck. if you have space, look for Mexican sugar maple. Grows faster than both bigtooth and Shantung for sure. I planted one at parents in law nearby Horseshoe Bay and it seemed to do fine with minimal care.

• dbarron

I read this thread, then researched a bit,..and a shautung maple would probably be a good fit for me. I wonder if the local nurseries have anything coming from Greenleaf still this year...I should ask. Glad to run across this thread and see this info.

I got both my shantung and bigtooth from the same nursery. But the bigtooth was twice as expensive and 50% the size of the shantung. I think the bigtooth is a slower grower and the shantung is much more hardy. However, I do prefer the leaf shape of the bigtooth.

Planted last summer. Both get full sun all day.

Here's a pic of the shantung leaves budding. Much more vibrant than the bigtooths this early.

• Pecci

The lobe's are much deeper than on mine. Is it the regular species?

Yes, those leaves are 1/4 size of the full size leaves--they just budded. they're very immature. The mature leaves look very much like a regular shantung. Ill get some updated pics up.

• lou_spicewood_tx

Unusually thin lobes on this Shantung maple that looks more like Japanese maple

• lou_spicewood_tx

fire Dragon is on the right. Typical leaf shape. On the left, I grew this one from a seed. Pretty cool, huh.

• tennisanyone17

Lou_spicewood_tx : that is so cool. I just planted fire dragon and baby dragon, and a week ago big tooth maple. How old is your maple that is grown from seed, it is resembling a baby dragon. Although all those maples are grafted that I got . I am in Plano ,TX

• lou_spicewood_tx

Tennis, the one with skinny lobes... 3 or 4 years ago? The semi dwarf grown from Fire Dragon seed was 5 or 6 years ago? Very compact. The leaves are very close to each other on the stems/trunk. Unusual. Nice red fall color as well. I wouldn't know if it is possible to graft it since the growths are small and tight. I want to learn how to graft both of them onto root stocks. I have a bunch of Shantung maple seedlings.

• tennisanyone17

Lou- thanks for your response. I'v seen few good tutorials on grafting online and one of them is " herons bonsai". I wander what is a rootstock used for those maples? I guess I could always ask Metro maples, they grow them and they also patented them, they are very nice and do respond very fast to emails. Once I get seeds from my maples ( quite a few on the tree) I will try to grow from a seed it might be fun.

• James

Where can I purchase this Shantung maple in Orange County CA?

• Pecci

I had to go up to nursery's n Lake Arrowhead & Big Bear. They are not always there, so call first.

• James

Thanks Pecci. That seems like a hassle. How much were they if you don't mind me asking?

I found a nursery online that can ship a 5-6ft tree for $170. Is it a lot cheaper than that?

I think I'll give a couple of local nurseries a call tomorrow.

• Pecci

We like heading up to the mtns, so we enjoyed the trip and had lunch overlooking Lake Arrowhead.

I was looking for ''Redpointe'' and bought either a 3 or 5 gallon, for about $60.

A few yrs. ago I bought a Truncatum ''Mainstreet" on line and it is doing very well, but I have also lost some.

I have a the Truncatum (species) in a I think a 3 gal. It's about 4 1/2' tall. You can have for whatever you want wish to give for it. Where abouts are you in SoCal?

• James

I'm in orange county. Garden Grove

• Pecci

Me too. Let me know if you are interest.

• James

I'm interested. Are these the original Shantung or a hybrid? I don't know what to offer so just shoot me an asking price.

Can you post a photo of it?

Edit: I have an autumn blaze. about 8-10ft? In a 10-15 gallon. If you wanna trade? lol

• Pecci

This is the the spiecies (original). I'll send a pic to,,orow, when the sun is out.

• Pecci

Not able to send a photo here. PM your email and I'll do it that way.

• James

cant see how to PM

andrew4ceo@hotmail.com