0

Dahlia over watered

Gabriela Fabra
help how to save my Dahlia I over watered and the leaves around the edges are dry and crispy
  • rob333 (zone 6b/7a)

It certainly looks like a stressed plant, but why do you think it's overwatered?

If i had to guess, I'd say it's underwatered. Crispy leaves say that to me. I could be wrong.

• dowlinggram

The leaves are curling too and that's a sign of a need for water. It also looks like you watered in the heat of the day because there are brown burnt spots on the leaves. Never water the plant--water the soil. I water until the water lays on the soil and then I don't water until the ground shows signs that it needs water. I use the soaker setting on my wand and my finger as a guage to see how far the water has gone or if the plant needs water. If the soil feels moist when I stick my finger all the way into the soil I don't water. After I water I do that same finger test to see how deep the water went. Sometimes you think the plant is watered but only the top of the soil is wet

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

dahlia is not an annual ....

so i am wondering how long its been in this pot ... and when the last time you changed the media ...

potting media is a water management system ... and it can wear out after a year or 2 ... and if it fails.. then you end up with watering problems ...

can you give us more history about why its potted ... how long.. etc ...

ken

• Gabriela Fabra
    The plant was a gift.I have repotted and put holes in the new pot.do I water it ?
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes, water it. See what happens.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if this gift was from a florist .... you might have a hard time converting it to an outdoor plant ... many fancy flowering plants.. forced forced to bloom for sale ... just end up being problems ....

absolutely give it a try ... but if you fail ... blame the florist ... lol ...

ken