Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9459064

Recommendations for closet organizing system

8 years ago
I’m looking for recommendations for closet organizing systems for our master walk-in closet. I know of Calif. Closets but would love advice. I’d rather not spend a fortune. Thanks

Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

    I have put Elfa in my last 3 homes and love it. You can change up the configuration as needed and it's very easy to install. It's sold at Container Store.

  • 8 years ago

    Are you wanting someone to do it or are you willing to do it yourself?

    I love doing closets as I am a bit of a storage freak. I like both the closet maid and Rubbermaid for wire shelving systems. Just make sure you get one that has multiple uprights to allow for maximum flexibility.

    For wood systems, Easy Track is a good system, John Louis Home, and Martha Stewart Home are also good ones.

    Check out the big box stores for ideas. HD has design it yourself software available on it's website.

    There are also on-line closet design companies that will design and sell you their systems. www.easyclosets.com is one


  • 8 years ago
    Ikea has great customizable storage systems that might be worth a look.
  • 8 years ago

    I did easy closets

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    We had CA Closet rep come (estimates were from 7K to 15K for all the bells, whistles and doors), but ended up building it out ourselves. While our shelves are not adjustable, they could be. Our trim carpenter built out the closets in our last home/stained, but the new house they are painted. We used 3/4" presanded plywood since we were painting. The stained is birch. Oak is also available (Home Depot). For this house, I purchased dressers with easy glide drawers, straight sides and legs to build in. Can easily be pulled out by one person. Can be used elsewhere and more hanging added if desired. Even our high end kitchen cabinetmaker was impressed how nice the closet looks. This used to be a windowless bathroom, so we swapped closet with bathroom. Thread on remodel.

    DH wall looks like mine, but he wanted shoe shelves above his dresser (partially shown below). The right side of mine goes into a pointed corner (not shown). His side does not.

    My shoes shelves, left. This section of his clothes goes all the way to wall. There is a space between my shoe tower and his clothes. The thin hangers really make a difference. I store out of season shoes, gloves, and things we never use but don't want to donate up high in the fabric boxes.

    If you want to see stained master in last house, I can post a photo later.

  • 8 years ago

    Elfa. If you can hold out until their annual sale which runs from the day or so after Christmas through mid-February. 30% off EVERYTHING Elfa, down to the tiniest screw, including installation cost.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Might you be able to consult with a professional organizer and a local cabinet maker to create a solid plan? At their heart, that is all California Closets is well thought out and designed storage.

    If that is not possible, I would look at Ikea's various wardrobe and storage systems. While I love the container Store, I am not an Elfa fan- and I don't like their CC knock off- it looks pretty cheap- and I am sure it's not inexpensive.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Wire shelving is a pain as artistsharonva said. Stuff wobbles, you get lines in your clothes, etc. The positives are that you get ventilation, it is inexpensive and you can get flexibility in positioning.

    One thing you can do is either a combination of solid and wire shelves, wire shelves with plastic liners. Or just solid shelves using melamine. The main thing I like about using wire shelving is that their kits are so dang cheap and you get a lot of uprights, brackets, rods.

    Or, you can buy the uprights and brackets yourself and piece together a system. I just like the versatility that they bring. I also use the shelving rail so that I know that all the uprights are the same height. You just level the shelving rail and the uprights hang off of it.

    There are cabinet brackets that can be bought so that they mount to the uprights. And there are cabinets designed to be mounted to the uprights.

    Like others have mentioned, the one thing to do is to get as much off the floor as possible. Makes it easier to keep clean.

    By all means, hire a designer. Have California Closets or others come in and have a look. I am not a Professional, although I play one on TV. :-) But I do have quite a bit of experience doing my own closets, garages, storage rooms as well as for others.

    The one thing I hate to see is wasted space.

    Oh yeah, one last thing. Metal Shelving like Metro or what you can find at Target, Big Box stores or CostCo. Make sure you get them them with wheels. Decide on what kind of storage boxes you like to use, keep all the shelves the same height and store them close together. You can even mount rails on the floor. The rolling racks will then glide in and out and you will have amazing amount of storage in a small space space.


    Sorry for the edits, ran out of battery in my laptop.

  • 8 years ago
    Ikea has some very reasonably priced systems and a visit is always good for inspiration
  • 8 years ago

    artistsharonva great suggestions!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Thanks Robinhome