Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Does this bromance have a future?

William R. Smith, Monsieur Tillier, and Mel’s Heritage...none of them are blooming, and I’m just not entirely trusting the screen colors. Is WRS warm enough to be next to MT?

i do understand that there can be some changeability with weather, etc. so is it possible I could wake up one day to a major tonal disagreement between them? Thank you!!

Comments (10)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I don't think there will be a clash problem. They are all on the warm side.

    They are all washed out at this time of year. In my garden they are warm white with a touch of pink, pale warm pink, and palest pink-white respectively.

    Edited to add: how frightening that I have all 3. I went from 0 to 100 in a very short period of time.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked cedemas
  • 8 years ago

    That’s great to hear that you have all 3! How mature are yours? I’m adding a few feet to the sizes on HMF...does that sound about right? Thanks!

  • 8 years ago

    Perma, mine are still babies. Mel's has some 4-ft tentacles but they are about the diameter of a pencil. M. Tillier is about 2.5-ft tall and I just got William a week ago.

    I think that M. Tillier and William will both become gigantic if they live long enough. M. Tillier may be pruned down to maintain a tolerable size.

    Not sure about how large Mel's will get in Florida. We do not have a lot of data on R. wichurana in Florida (he is 1/4 R. wichurana) and Floribundas (he is 1/4 Floribunda) usually need to be grafted to survive so I do not know what size to expect from him or if he will survive more than five years. I am training him to climb up a tree.

    I think that even some teas are risky. They are so variable in their backgrounds. Some of them will not do so well. I consider most of them to be experiments except for the ones that show up on more than one "recommended for Florida" list.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked cedemas
  • 8 years ago

    I’m doing the same...I’m trying more than I intended to, so that I’ll have some cushion for the ones who don’t like it here. :-)

    I’m putting Mel on my swing pergola, so I really hope he settles in. It seems like there were a number of others who’ve had success in hot & humid...just not sure about tons of rain and nematodes.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you Carol! My Mel came from Rose Petals. I was so happy to find him! This area is a very sunny part of the garden. The swing trellis is to the right, and there’s a triangular shape bed next to it. I’m putting blue pea vine on the trellis with Mel. Then Alliance Franco-Russe & Isabella Sprunt in front of the boys, with lavender and several blue-purple salvias. Mixing in a few cream daylilies & variegated liriope. One of my fav palettes is pale yellow, silver, & shades of purples. Crossing my fingers it comes together! :-)

  • 8 years ago

    Carol, I might have to put my foot down if it comes to cigars back there. I’ve never been a fan. ;-)

  • 8 years ago

    It sounds like a wonderful mix, especially with the companion plants you're contemplating. I have William R. Smith (who is resting right now) and briefly had M. Tillier (wonderful color but fried in my dry heat in 5 minutes).

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    Perma, that combo sounds perfect! I can hardly wait to see photos. Hint. Hint.

    :-) Carol

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Perma, I won't worry about anything. It will grow well besides I know you got tons of horse manure so that improves the soil and bring down nermotodes .

    I can't wait to see pics as they will grow and bloom. I never pick up my Mel's heritage from Angel gardens yet since January. I have to clear up my two corners. Full of Palmetto plants and they don't give up easily. They are real pain in *_#@5.

    Jin

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)