Software
Houzz Logo Print
gdinieontarioz5

A Tale of Fighting Temeraire

8 years ago

I cannot find much about this rose on Gardenweb, or even the internet in general, so I thought I would “show and tell” how it does in my Ontario garden. I bought it in 2014 blooming in a pot (love at first sight). For two years it gave a nice first flush, and after that practically nothing. I thought it needed time to establish, but two years without a single bloom after June??? Turns out Fighting Temeraire brought the enemy with it: rose midge. I will add to the RM thread later, but that is now mostly under control. Temeraire has become a favourite of mine with its incredible colour in large, almost single blooms. Especially the first day the whole flower glows: a loose cup of sunset colours around a luminous golden centre. From red bud to open bloom:









The following days the flower loses some of its form and colour, but not in an unpleasant way, and because of its size, it covers a lot of the bush.


I don’t want to risk half of my pictures not posting, so more in a reply/replies.

Comments (14)

  • 8 years ago

    Rebloom is good and quick. It has been completely free of disease up to now. The blooms stand up pretty well against our heat (a humid 34C/ 93F the last few days), as long as you keep it well watered, otherwise you get limp tissues. It was throwing up fairly tall and reasonably supple canes, so last year I tied it to an obelisk.

    That worked great, but in our cold 2017/‘18 winter the canes froze almost to the ground. It had to build up from the bottom, same as most if my poor other roses, so I planted a clematis on the other side if the obelisk. They kind of touch each other at halfway the height of the structure. I hope that next year they can intermingle nicely.

    Like it says on the Austin website, its is also informal as a bush, and a good neighbour to all kinds of other plants. The branches are supple and some arch down elegantly. I have supported one or two canes that bent too close to the ground, all the while hoping that the bush will produce a few long tentacles again, so I can wind them around the obelisk.

    Any more fans (or haters)?

  • 8 years ago

    I don't think anyone could hate this lovely rose, unless it has some bad qualities we're not aware of. It's nice to see a rose that isn't in the usual many-petaled Austin mold.

    gdinieontarioz5 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks so much for the photos. Mine is new this year, abut 2 feet high. I've had maybe 6-10 of those beautiful blooms but so far no tall supple canes but its still a baby. I have been thinking of an obelisk as she gets bigger - I'm happy to see how wells yours is doing.

    gdinieontarioz5 thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • 8 years ago

    Hi gdiniontario! It’s good to hear from you again. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a rose post from you.

    I’m enjoying your pictures and information on ‘Fighting Temeraire’. It’s a rose I’ve heard of, but know nothing about, as I rarely see any pictures or comments about it. It IS different from DA’s usual offerings, and I think I like it! It reminds me of another rose, but its name isn’t coming to me. I really like the last picture in your initial post. I think that color is just spectacular. What a great choice of clematis color to add to FT. Thanks for sharing these. It’s a rose I hear so little about, and it looks like a good one! Lisa

    gdinieontarioz5 thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    Ingrid, it is almost funny how much it is not a typical Austin rose. Maybe that’s why it is not very well known: too far outside the box. I am glad they dared to break the mould.

    Maryc, you are in a climate that is very different from mine. Keep us updated on how yours is doing. Without a winter to cut it down, I would expect it to get pretty big. How do the blooms do in the heat for you? I forgot to add that I like the scent too. It reminds me of Heritage, lemony and a bit peppery, but Temeraire is even more distinctly lemons. Heritage has one of my favourite rose scents.

    Goeiemorgen, Lisa! I have been lurking more than posting. I cannot keep up with myself and my interests :-/. This was also meant as a bit of a boost for Temeraire. Maybe the informality of the blooms turns some people off? I find it charming, especially for a border mingler. The obelisk was in the first place meant to keep all the new growth in a small spot, so that I could put landscape fabric under it to get rid of the rose midge. In a mixed border with taller plants, I can see it sprawling happily here and there. But with the clematis now, I will try to moor Temeraire again ;-). How is lovely little Millie? Greetings to her from Tali.

  • 8 years ago

    That rose is gorgeous!

    gdinieontarioz5 thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Lisa, I am so glad all is well with you and Millie. And she is back with you!!! That is great. I am sure she has stolen a lot more hearts than only yours and Sebastian’s...

  • 6 years ago

    I was thinking about trying Fighting Temeraire this year, thanks for posting about it!

  • 6 years ago

    Do try it. FT has been 100% healthy for me since 2014. In my climate the canes that are not protected by snow when it gets to -20 C or so, are not completely hardy, so on the trellis it is not the greatest succes, but for the rest as a relaxed shrub, it is without problems and a great neighbour to just about anything. And it doesn’t look like cold winters is your problem.

    The pictures are from June this year, a week or two apart.





  • 6 years ago

    Thank you for sharing. It's very pretty and I always pay attention when someone says a rose is disease free. How tall is your obelisk by the way?

    -Chris

  • 6 years ago

    Chris, the obelisk is between 5‘ and 6‘ I think. Too muddy and miserable to go out there now.

  • 6 years ago

    I dont have it but its on my list for spring. I meant to get it last year. I thinknits gorgeous. The flowers are large too for single/semi doubles. I love its sunset colors.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you for the pictures and info on Fighting Temeraire gdinieontarioz5. I planted one in the summer of 2018, so last year was its first full season. Unfortunately a large tree branch fell on it and broke off a large cane just as it was putting on some size, so it's still small. But the flowers I got were so pretty!





    I have it planted between A Shropshire Lad and William Morris which are both climbing up tall supports. I plan to let FT intermingle with them as a foil to their full-petalled styles.

    gdinieontarioz5 thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)